The Nauvoo temple president and his wife visited our ward last week. It had me thinking... what attributes should a president have? What kind of person is called to do this work? Would they ever call a working person (they all seem to be older)? Since they all seem to be in couples, would the president lose his position if his spouse died?

My impression is that a Patriarch has to be a very righteous man, perhaps even saintly, though he may not see himself that way.  Is a temple president supposed to be as righteous or is it more of an administrative role?.

A former Bishop of mine has been a mission president.  In fact he was Dravin's mission president.  I asked him about this quite some time ago.  He couldn't tell me the exact process that the decision goes through (he said he didn't actually know).  He did say that the majority of Mission Presidents are chosen from those who have submitted their paperwork to serve a couple's mission.  

I know that's how a former boss of mine was chosen.  He and his wife had already submitted their paperwork to serve a mission.  He then got called to be a Mission President in Ohio.

About a month ago I cut some fabric for a lady who had to make some "Pioneer" type clothing. She and her husband were called to serve a mission in Nauvoo.  He is a veterinarian by trade and will be in charge of taking care of the animals assigned to the historical sites there in Nauvoo.

I was at a continuing education event with the Utah State Bar a couple of years ago and struck up a conversation with a kindly looking gentleman who turned out to be Robert F. Orton, formerly a member of the 2nd Quorum of the Seventy and fresh off a stint as the president of the St. George Temple.  He's now working with one of the major law firms in downtown SLC, which I imagine must have been rather a surreal transition.

It seems like rather a lot of Seventies, once they go emeritus, end up as the president of some temple or other.

About a month ago I cut some fabric for a lady who had to make some "Pioneer" type clothing. She and her husband were called to serve a mission in Nauvoo.  He is a veterinarian by trade and will be in charge of taking care of the animals assigned to the historical sites there in Nauvoo.

On a trip to Nauvoo, I got to touch an ox and ride in a covered wagon. They are huge animals. Of course, I asked my companion (only half in jest) if the oxen asked to do this work...  I can't help myself sometimes. 

I can't imagine riding for months looking at the back end of an ox, but I guess that back then, everyone was more used to seeing animal bodies and functions out in public.

On a trip to Nauvoo, I got to touch an ox and ride in a covered wagon. They are huge animals. Of course, I asked my companion (only half in jest) if the oxen asked to do this work...  I can't help myself sometimes. 

The ox was given a choice between a service mission or a temple mission. I would have made the same choice.

The Nauvoo temple president and his wife visited our ward last week. It had me thinking... what attributes should a president have? What kind of person is called to do this work? Would they ever call a working person (they all seem to be older)? Since they all seem to be in couples, would the president lose his position if his spouse died?

My impression is that a Patriarch has to be a very righteous man, perhaps even saintly, though he may not see himself that way.  Is a temple president supposed to be as righteous or is it more of an administrative role?.

I know a couple that were called this year to be Temple President and Matron. The article I read said that he was retired. I haven't seen them in years but when I did know them they were just a lovely couple. I think they are people persons, they like people. I don't think they ever considered themselves righteous, they were just a very authentic, nice couple. Nice to each other and nice to others. And if they have been chosen for such a calling, I would think that they are very faithful to their beliefs and their church.

M.