The Twinkie Diet

The Folk Prophet

Clean eating to me also means staying away from processed and packaged foods.  Eating fruits, vegetables, lean meats.  Staying away from sugars except for the natural sugars found in some foods.

I don't find much of a conspiracy theory in that at all.

This is a great example of how the term is not a one-sized fits all, imposed upon us by "the man" to keep us scared into...uh...futility.

I am a big-time "clean" eater...and yet I have no interest in natural unprocessed foods. I only care about macro-nutrients. Natural or unnatural. Whatever.

So clearly "clean" means something different to Pam and me. Which is exactly the point. Sticking to whatever eating plan makes sense and works for an individual and staying true to it. Stepping outside of that plan is the "dirty" eating. It's not the food itself that defines the meaning of clean and dirty. It's the commitment to the plan. You do it cleanly or you don't.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

I would be careful with such a simplistic response.  Caloric restriction can trigger your body to protect itself (and the person naturally) from famine.  The human body is a fantastic machine but it can fight nasty to keep itself alive.   It your body thinks its starving it will make you hungry (with all the side effects of that) and it will tank your metabolism to conserve energy, and gear up to more effectively store fat over the long term.  This puts you in direct conflict with your body.  As long as your body thinks it is in danger it will work to protect itself, you might win over the short term but it will win over long-term.   This is why most diets fail, this is why people's weight can yo-yo back a forth.  Its doesn't have to be because of a lack of will power or self control that they fail.

Unless instead of fight against your body you learn to work with it.  Learn to eat when your body says it needs food and stop eating when it says it is done.  Rather then eating emotionally and/or fulfill social expectations.  And when you do eat, eat the right things.  Give your body the things it needs so that it can work well, chances are it will then demand less.

I agree with this, sometimes it doesn't matter how much a person tries to restrict their caloric intake, the body stores every calorie anyway.  One of my sisters is like this.  She is extremely overweight, but often times, she hardly eats at all to try and lose weight.  A few years ago, she signed up with weight watchers, and in their program, according to her weight, she wasn't eating enough to lose weight.  She had to consume alot on their program, which was a big struggle for her b/c she didn't feel hungry enough to be eating so much, yet she steadily began to lose weight w/an increase in caloric intake.  They told her that b/c she wasn't consuming enough calories before, her body was in starvation mode and storing the calories away for her survival.  She thought it was crazy talk, but it worked, eating more made her lose weight.  Although, she's not with weight watchers anymore, and her weight is back up, and she's hardly eating again :(  She doesn't eat consistently, and when she does, it's usually food that's not good for her, and she'll eat too much of it at one time. 

Our bodies know what's best for us, and it can be as different for me as it is for you, as there are alot of factors involved like TFP said.  I try to eat "clean", it's made a difference with my family, although I've actually gained some weight.  Maybe I should try this twinkie diet... ;) 

• 1 month later...

I am not sure that recognizing the billions of dollars being spent on diet and exercise is being paranoid. But, I have been watching a lot of X-Files episodes, that could be rubbing off on me. so that and Folk Prophet's Ph.d. in psychology have me pegged.

Edited by Over43

Clean eating to me also means staying away from processed and packaged foods. Eating fruits, vegetables, lean meats. Staying away from sugars except for the natural sugars found in some foods.

I don't find much of a conspiracy theory in that at all.

I was going to suggest the term, eating clean, is just plain dumb. I thought, conspiravy theory, was kinder. Apparently I should have just used, dumb. Edited by Over43