Why?

Zaq33

He didnt even though much in Scripture is spoken of because of his Failure with Bathsheeba.David was forgiven and was instrumental in allowed to be the Voice for the Psalms and the Descendant of the Messiah and was Loved by God.David never lost his Salvation and was Beloved by God.

D&C 132:39 has this to say about King David:  "David's wives and concubines were given unto him of me, by the hand of Nathan, my servant, and others of the prophets who had the keys of this power; and in none of these things did he sin against me save in the case of Uriah and his wife; and, therefore he hath fallen from his exaltation, and received his portion; and he shall not inherit them out of the world, for I gave them unto another, saith the Lord."

From the April 1971 Ensign, Milton R. Hunter had this to say: "David, whom the Lord loved and who is regarded by many people as Israel’s greatest king, spent the latter part of his life in brokenhearted sorrow over his sin against Uriah and his adultery with Bathsheba. His deep feelings were expressed in one of the most pitiful prayers in the holy scriptures:

“Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy loving kindness: …

“Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

“For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.” (Ps. 51:1–3.)

Having an understanding of the plan of salvation and a thorough knowledge of the seriousness of the gross sins of adultery and murder which he had committed, King David in anguish cried out unto the Lord: “… thou wilt not leave my soul in hell.” (Ps. 16:10.)

"More than two thousand years after King David’s death and only 127 years ago, Jesus Christ spoke from heaven and informed us that because of David’s sin against him in the case of Uriah and his wife, David “hath fallen from his exaltation” and his wives have been given to another. (D&C 132:39.)"

From the Old Testament Student Manual: "The price of David’s sin of murder and adultery was high. He spent the rest of his life regretting it. In one psalm he expressed his mental torment and pleaded for forgiveness.

“Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy loving kindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. …

“Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.” (Psalm 51:1–3, 10–11.)

Eventually, David received the assurance that his soul would be “delivered … from the lowest hell” (Psalm 86:12–13). But this assurance could not restore the blessings he had lost. They were gone forever (see D&C 132:39)."

From Ask Gramps: http://askgramps.org/11843/atonement-and-king-david: " We know from the Book of Mormon, that our Heavenly Father is not able to allow his mercy to rob justice and its demands.

King David was taught, and was a child of the Lord’s covenant people. When King David purposely sent Uriah to the front lines, he knew Uriah would die. King David also knew from his youth that murder was against the 10 commandments.

Yet, we find another example in the Book of Mormon where some Lamanites, blood thirsty and murderers of the Nephites took an oath, a covenant, with God in hopes that they would find forgiveness from their blood stained swords.

There is a difference between the Lamanites and King David. The Lamanites from their infancy were taught to hate and kill the Nephites. King David however was taught not to murder at all, unless he is defending himself as in times of war.

The atonement of Jesus Christ is not permission or allowance of any sin, but an opportunity to be forgiven. The atonement doesn’t take away the consequences of certain decisions. Thus, according to the knowledge King David had, he has found himself in a position where his sin is not covered by the atonement to allow him entrance for exaltation."

Edited by classylady

https://www.lds.org/liahona/2014/08/youth/truths-most-worth-knowing?cid=HPTU082614372〈=eng

Boyd K Packer:

"The gospel teaches us that relief from torment and guilt can be earned through repentance. Save for those few—those very few—who defect to perdition after having known a fulness, there is no habit, no addiction, no rebellion, no transgression, no offense small or large which is exempt from the promise of complete forgiveness. No matter what has happened in your life, the Lord has prepared a way for you to come back if you will heed the promptings of the Holy Spirit."

How does this apply to your replies?

Edited by uhyea33

This is all taken from Old Testament Student Manual:

“His (David's) repentant feelings were no doubt sincere, but he could not repent enough to restore the life of his friend, Uriah, nor the virtue of his wife (Bathsheba). Though he later hoped and prayed that his soul would not be left forever in hell (the spirit prison), yet the eternal destiny of doers of such twin sins does not look good. (See Psalms 16 and 51; then see Hebrews 6:4–6;Revelation 22:14–15D&C 132:2776:31–3729:41 and 42:18, 79.)” (Rasmussen, Introduction to the Old Testament, 1:185.)

(26-21) 2 Samuel 12:13. David Is Still Paying in Hell for His Sins

The Joseph Smith Translation says, “The Lord also hath not put away thy sin” (JST, 2 Samuel 12:13).

Elder Joseph Fielding Smith, commenting on David’s sin, said: “David committed a dreadful crime, and all his life afterwards sought for forgiveness. Some of the Psalms portray the anguish of his soul; yet David is still paying for his sin. He did not receive the resurrection at the time of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Peter declared that his body was still in the tomb, and the Prophet Joseph Smith has said, ‘David sought repentance at the hand of God carefully with tears, for the murder of Uriah; but he could only get it through hell: he got a promise that his soul should not be left in hell.’ Again we ask: Who wishes to spend a term in hell with the devil before being cleansed from sin?” (Answers to Gospel Questions, 1:74.) ...

No success can compensate for failure in our personal lives or in our families. Consider that David was destined for exaltation, destined to rule in heaven forever and ever as a Creator and a God to his future children. As the Lord said, there is no greater gift that He could offer a man than eternal life (see D&C 6:13). David had it within his grasp, and then, in a foolish attempt to hide his sin, sent a man to his death. Had he even come to himself after his transgression with Bath-sheba and sought repentance as sincerely and earnestly as he did after Nathan’s parable, there is every indication that he could have come back and received forgiveness. It would have been difficult, but not impossible. But he did the very thing of which so many are guilty—he compounded his sin by trying to cover it up. Elder Spencer W. Kimball indicated that there is no restitution possible for murder.

“As to crimes for which no adequate restoration is possible, I have suggested … that perhaps the reason murder is an unforgivable sin is that, once having taken a life—whether that life be innocent or reprobate—the life-taker cannot restore it. He may give his own life as payment, but this does not wholly undo the injury done by his crime. He might support the widow and children; he might do many other noble things; but a life is gone and the restitution of it in full is impossible. Repentance in the ordinary sense seems futile.

“Murder is so treacherous and so far-reaching! Those who lose their possessions may be able to recover their wealth. Those defamed may still be able to prove themselves above reproach. Even the loss of chastity leaves the soul in mortality with opportunity to recover and repent and to make amends to some degree. But to take a life, whether someone else’s or one’s own, cuts off the victim’s experiences of mortality and thus his opportunity to repent, to keep God’s commandments in this earth life. It interferes with his potential of having ‘glory added upon [his head] for ever and ever.’

Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained the limits of David’s eternal inheritance:

“Murderers are forgiven eventually but only in the sense that all sins are forgiven except the sin against the Holy Ghost; they are not forgiven in the sense that celestial salvation is made available to them. (Matt. 12:31–32; Teachings, pp. 356–357.) After they have paid the full penalty for their crime, they shall go on to a telestial inheritance. (Rev. 22:15.)” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 520.)

From celestial to telestial—that is tragedy. Although David was brave and had great intellect, administrative ability, and faithfulness early in life, he failed in one important thing—to endure to the end.

David was a great example in his fulfillment of his calling as king, and a tragic example in his falling from glory. We can learn from both aspects of his life."

Edited by classylady

What am i supposed to believe?

That those that repent of and forsake their sins will be forgiven and allowed to establish covenants with G-d.  Perhaps not all the same covenants they had before with all the same individuals (as in marriage).  But they can and will be forgiven if they repent and forsake their sins.

Scriptures, we are told through modern revelation that David had fallen from his exaltation as already shared by Classylady.  What does it mean to fall from ones exaltation?

If I shared with you that my grades had fallen from an "A" what would you determine my grade to be?  Surely, not an A.

well, what about the king of the lamanites that killed his servants because they lost his sheep, he was converted, so he wont receive exaltation?

I think when someone knows to a fullness of god and his kingdom and then murders(like david) they lose their exaltation. Which would validate Elder Packers quote from his talk.

well, what about the king of the lamanites that killed his servants because they lost his sheep, he was converted, so he wont receive exaltation?

I think when someone knows to a fullness of god and his kingdom and then murders(like david) they lose their exaltation. Which would validate Elder Packers quote from his talk.

I agree with you.  It's not just the objective severity of the sin; it's the severity of the sin in conjunction with the light and knowledge that the sinner had at the time of the sin. 

Also, bear in mind (re Packer's quote):  Everyone who is saved in any kingdom of glory at all, receives forgiveness--were it not so, they would remain in outer darkness in eternity.  And I think we often focus on exaltation so much that we tend to underestimate just how big of a gift "forgiveness" and even a place in the Telestial Kingdom really is. 

That said:  not everyone can be sanctified to the point that they can endure celestial glory and entrusted with all the powers and responsibilities that exaltation entails.  David had his opportunity to show what he would do with ultimate, unfettered power over life and death; and in that regard his test--the D&C and Joseph Smith tell us--is over.  He can still be saved, in the loose sense of the word; but he will never be entrusted with such absolute control over humans ever again.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

He committed murder knowing the gospel. He gains a bit of a reprieve when he tries to repent as best as he can but there is no scripture that says he's forgiven of it, but on the other hand there is no scripture that says he is condemned to be permanently in hell with no alternative either.

Edited by Blackmarch

Almost every person has had a different answer. Thought id point that out.

Different, not contradictory

Incidentally:  Why did you think that was worth pointing out?

On this issue?  Whatever you darned well please.  We're not the Borg.   :borg:

Edited by Just_A_Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Almost every person has had a different answer. Thought id point that out.

Yup.

Although David was a king, he never did obtain the spirit and power of Elijah and the fullness of the Priesthood; and the Priesthood that he received, and the throne and kingdom of David is to be taken from him and given to another by the name of David in the last days, raised up out of his lineage. (TPJS, Joseph Smith)

He may have messed up but he never did attain to the fullness of the priesthood. 

Fulness of the priesthood (By God’s voice not by descent of man) TPJS, sec. 6, pp. 322–23.
Melchezidek priesthood (Through the lineage of our fathers)
Aaronic or Levitical Priesthood (preparatory gospel)

If you want to use the LDS definition of salvation we are ALL saved. But he was not exalted. (See D&C 132)

There are three grand orders of priesthood

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Section Six 1843B 44, p.323

Edited by onethatislazy

He didnt even though much in Scripture is spoken of because of his Failure with Bathsheeba.David was forgiven and was instrumental in allowed to be the Voice for the Psalms and the Descendant of the Messiah and was Loved by God.David never lost his Salvation and was Beloved by God.

You mean the progenitor of the Messiah, right?

I think there might be room to debate the question of the degree of David's culpability in the death of Uria. It's possible that those who have spoken and speculated on the topic and accused David of murder have not thought through all the many different legal phrases and terminologies that are used to describe the series of actions that directly, or indirectly, result in the death of another person, with each different phrase reflecting a different degree of culpability - eg, murder in the first degree, second degree, manslaughter, accessory to murder, etc. Exactly which kind of killing is the kind that attracts as its penalty eternal punishment? The facts show that David did not directly kill Uriah - that was done by somebody else -  but that he engaged in a course of action that he hoped and believed, but possibly might not, lead to Uriah's death. Is that the same as murder, the kind of murder that damn's a person for eternity?  In addition, surely, David, as commander-in-chief had the right to decide how to employ his troops. And surely it makes good sense to put some of his best troops into the hottest part of the battle? And possibly if Uriah had been a better soldier, he might have prevailed and the battle might have turned in the Israelite's favour. Or the Lord could have divinely intervened, as He occasionally did in the Israelite's battles, and completely changed the outcome. Or Joab, or the men under his command  -as occasionally happened - might have chosen to disregard, or not follow to its fullest extent, David's orders to withdraw from Uriah. Or a hundred other possibilities. And surely David knew that every time he engaged in battle, that in effect, he was sending many, many of his people to be killed. Is one more person any different? Is David's degree of culpability significantly different from any front-line LDS commander who knowingly sends his troops into a hopeless situation, knowing that many will be killed?