Any other minecrafters on here?

MarginOfError

I've been maintaining a small server for a little over a year now.  I started it  mostly for my brother and I, but my brother is no longer into minecraft.  I've also had several of my boy scouts playing on there, but with the loss of CraftBukkit, I don't have a way to keep them from cheating (and there's one in particular that is prone to cheating).  

I've finally just converted the server to run on the vanilla software, but have removed most of the players from the whitelist because I don't feel like I can trust them without the anti-cheat software Bukkit provided.  So it's pretty much just me right now.  Sad and pathetic, I know.

Anyway, I'd love to have some post-pubescent presence on the server if anyone is interested.  It's vanilla minecraft with a strict survival only rule.  If you're interested, please send me a PM

(and in case it helps, I promise not to talk politics or controversial religious topics on there.  Minecraft is where I go to escape real world issues, so I won't be anywhere near as bull-headed as I am here)

So, in summary, allow me to make this pathetic plea: Please, will you be my friend :)

Here's an image of my main city as rendered by Overviewer

Ash%2BHaven.jpg

It's a "sandbox" game, which means you go in and you play with no real purpose or goal.  Essentially, the premise of the game is you're dumped in a world with nothing but a few clothes and you have to obtain all the materials necessary to survive.  If you don't have shelter before the sun goes down, you have to fight off zombies, skeletons, and "creepers" (some weird creature that blows up when it gets close to you).

My wife calls it "Legos on the computer"

If you look at my picture, that was all forest a year ago.  I've spent the year building up the city, mining all the materials for the buldings, and establishing a safe haven in which I can work without fear of monsters invading. I'm currently working on acquiring the materials to build a massive church.  

Mostly, it's a great way to waste a lot of time if you have time to waste.  I usually play it while I'm tutoring students (I do an online tutoring program) and when I can't sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minecraft#Gameplay

I've been maintaining a small server for a little over a year now.  I started it  mostly for my brother and I, but my brother is no longer into minecraft.  I've also had several of my boy scouts playing on there, but with the loss of CraftBukkit, I don't have a way to keep them from cheating (and there's one in particular that is prone to cheating).  

I've finally just converted the server to run on the vanilla software, but have removed most of the players from the whitelist because I don't feel like I can trust them without the anti-cheat software Bukkit provided.  So it's pretty much just me right now.  Sad and pathetic, I know.

Anyway, I'd love to have some post-pubescent presence on the server if anyone is interested.  It's vanilla minecraft with a strict survival only rule.  If you're interested, please send me a PM

(and in case it helps, I promise not to talk politics or controversial religious topics on there.  Minecraft is where I go to escape real world issues, so I won't be anywhere near as bull-headed as I am here)

So, in summary, allow me to make this pathetic plea: Please, will you be my friend :)

Here's an image of my main city as rendered by Overviewer

Ash%2BHaven.jpg

What is Minecraft, exactly, and how does it work?

Assume I know nothing about gaming.  Because . . . I don't.

its legos + a sandbox + garage + a bit of oldstyle arcade monsterfighting if you like a challenge (optional)

....on steroids with a random world generator thrown in for good measure.

think the legos movie- that caps it pretty well. only you get to do all the building in it instead of watching.

And yes being one of those legos kids and also one that always made sandcastles at the lake and also growing up with the older 8 bit game systems... saying i like this game is mild way of putting it lol.

Edited by Blackmarch

I've tried Minecraft in the past but I lack the self-directed goal setting that creates longevity in the game. I'll get started, build a basic lair, get myself kitted out with decent gear and then lose interest. I run into the same issue with Space Engineers. I get a basic level of self sufficiency and have trouble making the jump to the "I should recreate the Enterprise!" stage where the true fans reside. Kerbal Space Program is similar (though I should probably take another crack at it since it has a campaign mode these days). Though if I'm working on something with a friend that can usually give me the direction required for enjoyment when combined with the socialization.

Edited by Dravin

I've tried Minecraft in the past but I lack the self-directed goal setting that creates longevity in the game. I'll get started, build a basic lair, get myself kitted out with decent gear and then lose interest. I run into the same issue with Space Engineers. I get a basic level of self sufficiency and have trouble making the jump to the "I should recreate the Enterprise!" stage where the true fans reside. Kerbal Space Program is similar (though I should probably take another crack at it since it has a campaign mode these days). Though if I'm working on something with a friend that can usually give me the direction required for enjoyment when combined with the socialization.

I can relate to that.  I have periods of play where I do nothing but mine, or nothing but harvest trees because I just can't get the inspiration for what to build next, or the motivation to do it.  I usually don't really get started on a project until I have a vision for it, or a problem that needs to be solved.  

My iron farm was motivated by the need for hoppers to build my storage system, for example.  

In times like this, it's actually pretty helpful to have friends you're playing with because you can just go look at their stuff, talk to them about ideas, or just go into the Nether on a zombie pigmen killing spree together (great way to die, but tons of fun too).  You should totally come play and we'll dream up ideas for amusement parks and adventure maps :)

I'd take you up on the offer but my Minecrafting days were back when I could play my Brother's copy, since we're on opposite sides of the country that's not an option these days. If you ever get into Space Engineers though, give me a shout out, as that I do have my very own copy of.

Have you played around with 1.8 yet, got me to fire it up, loving the new stone types.

I'm pretty much restricted to 1.5.2 as i'm offline most of the time, and my comp doesn't want to install the latest in java (I use an older OS) so even my offline hack for 1.7.2 doesnt work.

I'd take you up on the offer but my Minecrafting days were back when I could play my Brother's copy, since we're on opposite sides of the country that's not an option these days. If you ever get into Space Engineers though, give me a shout out, as that I do have my very own copy of.

ooooohhh i so want to do that.

I hate steam.

hehe, That's my problem sort of too. I tend to establish myself and then not play for so long due to time constraints that a new patch comes out and I just start over to play with new stuff. The most "complicated" things I've built were a redstone and sticky piston "hidden" door and a bridge made of pistons in shallow water that could be made to pop up and disappear.

I'd love to play, I don't know how much I'll be able to get on though. Usually friday nights are the nights I play games because I stay up all night to setup my sleep schedule for my 3 12 hour night shifts over the weekend :D.

edit:

@blackmarch

I love steam. I pick up games for 2 - 5 bucks when they go on sale.

I don't even use oracle's java, I use openjre. Might have to switch to oracle's java since 1.8 update minecraft has been running slow.

Edited by jerome1232

hehe, That's my problem sort of too. I tend to establish myself and then not play for so long due to time constraints that a new patch comes out and I just start over to play with new stuff. 

One of the nice things about the 1.8 update is it didn't change the world generation algorithm.  It was also kind enough to put Ocean monuments inside already generated chunks (so I was able to get to one relatively easily).

However, it didn't put granite or andnesite into already generated chunks, so I'm gonig to have to open a mine out somewhere that no one has ever been to.  such terrible problems I face.

The most "complicated" things I've built were a redstone and sticky piston "hidden" door and a bridge made of pistons in shallow water that could be made to pop up and disappear.

I use these!  I didn't want to have a giant wall around my city, so I put in a moat with these bridges to get in and out.  They're fantastic.

I'd love to play, I don't know how much I'll be able to get on though. Usually friday nights are the nights I play games because I stay up all night to setup my sleep schedule for my 3 12 hour night shifts over the weekend  :D.

I'm usually only on at night too.  Between 8 and 10 PM most likely.  Takes a while to get anything done on that schedule.

hehe, That's my problem sort of too. I tend to establish myself and then not play for so long due to time constraints that a new patch comes out and I just start over to play with new stuff. The most "complicated" things I've built were a redstone and sticky piston "hidden" door and a bridge made of pistons in shallow water that could be made to pop up and disappear.

I'd love to play, I don't know how much I'll be able to get on though. Usually friday nights are the nights I play games because I stay up all night to setup my sleep schedule for my 3 12 hour night shifts over the weekend :D.

edit:

@blackmarch

I love steam. I pick up games for 2 - 5 bucks when they go on sale.

I don't even use oracle's java, I use openjre. Might have to switch to oracle's java since 1.8 update minecraft has been running slow.

I need an online connection to use anything thats remotely related to steam, a connection i generally don't during my play time.  they and EA are in my book of the damned. Blizzard and Activision are quickly joining them.

I prefer GOG.com - less DRM.

i'll have to look into jre.

Edited by Blackmarch

http://openjdk.java.net/

They [oracle's java and openjdk] share most of the same codebase though, So I do not know if it would run on an older OS or not.

I kinda forgot about that actually. Oracle began collaborating with the OpenJDK people and so they are practically the same now.

Edited by jerome1232

However, it didn't put granite or andnesite into already generated chunks, so I'm gonig to have to open a mine out somewhere that no one has ever been to.  such terrible problems I face.

I fully intend on an immediate chunk loading journey to get some diorite, granite, and andesite. If you are going to build a church, you gotta have some nice rocks to do it with.

I fully intend on an immediate chunk loading journey to get some diorite, granite, and andesite. If you are going to build a church, you gotta have some nice rocks to do it with.

I've already designed my church and it's going to need a lot of diorite.  When I get tired of trying to unbury this monument I'll probably go establish a mine somewhere.  But now that I think about it, I don't think I've opened any Nether portals at near my blaze farm.  That would be a good spot to put a portal and make a mine.