Any other minecrafters on here?

MarginOfError

My school has a Minecraft club. It's for 4th grade and up until we get another teacher involved. My students askedif I would.

I watched Husband play it once...

What amazed me was my 5 year old watched a minecraft youtube video then made a McDonalds in creative mode. It was pretty good, had a spot for the cashier, a spot for the kitchen, places to sit and tables there. Had a huge M outside. I was impressed! (it's my kid though, it's my job to be impressed :D)

I tried to hop onto your server today real quick before I went off to work but it seems to be down.

I've been so focused on a couple other things that I've forgotten to turn the server on in the mornings.  I might have to do a scheduled task to make sure it's up and running on a regular basis.

One good thing that could come out of this: migrating the code to a C-based language.  It would certainly make the game run a lot smoother.

One bad thing that could come out of it: monthly subscription plans.  That would be a disaster.

I actually fear that. I like it being java because it's cross platform. If they port it to C, I doubt they will port it to Mac and Linux. I have long enjoyed this game on Linux and I rarely boot to windows for 2 games. I don't want to have to boot into it for minecraft too.

I actually fear that. I like it being java because it's cross platform. If they port it to C, I doubt they will port it to Mac and Linux. I have long enjoyed this game on Linux and I rarely boot to windows for 2 games. I don't want to have to boot into it for minecraft too.

Linux doesn't have a C compiler?  I find that surprising.  My statistical software runs a lot of C in the background and I'm running on a Linux box.

C is not like Java. Java you have one set of source code which when compiled into bytecode will run on anything that can run the JVM. With C and it's variants, you will have to have port it to each OS, as each OS will have different libraries you have to access. The the same code will sometimes do different things on each OS as well, optimizing the code will be different for each os and etc...

If they decide on a rewrite to C (I understand some of the console ports are written in it) I have my doubts that anyone at Microsoft, or Mojang for that matter, is going to burst a vein keeping their code easy to port to Linux, or doing any porting to Linux.

It being crossplatform was just a side effect of being written in Java in the first place.

Edited by jerome1232