What is the Talmud?

Hello all,

I am looking for real answers to what the Talmud is. I've read a lot about it online. But I think most of the time it is from a biased source. Does anyone have a deep explanation of this book? Or resources as to where I can find information.

After reading quite a few quotes from the book, all I can say is, it makes me disgusted that, this would be the religion of Jesus Christ? Does Jesus Christ really feel this way about non Jews? I had been dealing with depression and reading this did not help.

I know in one particular gospel account, Jesus does't want to give a miricle to a woman immediatly. She is refered to as a Dog.  Mathew 15:27.

Quite frankly, I will not bend a knee, to a God that feels that way about me. I'm a bit of a church surfer, I have never asked LDS missionaires about this before. But I have talked to LDS missionaries a great deal.

Also, I have had quite a few theology classes, so I understand how things can be taken out of context to fit an agenda. As I non LDS member, I see this happen every day to my LDS Friends.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

and thank you,

The Wikipedia article seems fairly decent if you want a brief overview of what the Talmud is (as opposed to a detailed examination of what it teaches, that's a somewhat different subject). 

After reading quite a few quotes from the book, all I can say is, it makes me disgusted that, this would be the religion of Jesus Christ?

​The Talmud is the oral traditions of rabbinical Judaism. Simply knowing that Jesus was Jewish doesn't tell us to what extent he agreed with it, for instance the Sadducees were Jewish but rejected the Talmud. Speaking of the modern day, Reform and Reconstructionist Jews don't accept it as authoritative. 

• 3 years later...

New member here

Jesus rejected the Talmud

Here is where he did

Mt.15.1-14 and Mk.7.1-13

The claims the Pharisees were making against Jesus is not found in the Torah.They are in the Talmud only.

Jesus called this teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.And Thus have made the commandment of God of none effect.And Traditions of men.

The disciples said to Jesus the Pharisees were offended after they heard Jesus speak against it.

The Talmud is to the Jews held in higher regard than the teachings of Moses.Jesus criticized them for it.This is still true today.

New member here 

The reference (a Gentile woman)  called a dog that Jesus was tagged for saying is not in Jesus's character or his nature.That is a racist racial slur.

He however was flagged for saying it which I do not believe he did but someone else with him may have done.Jesus ,in a figure of speech ,would never stoop so low.

However ,at that time and before and even now  Jews  and no other race have always called Gentiles dogs .I have no knowledge of how many did or didn't then or now.Today the Gentile definition says Gentiles are just non Jews . But it also says it is an offensive word depending on the age of your dictionary.It depends on how it is used then or now  in today's society.Example: There is a word used by inmates in prison throughout our country.The word is Boss referring to a prison officer.This word "Boss" in its original meaning from it's beginning does not mean a boss who may supervise inmates,it ,read backwards means something other as you can see if you write it backwards.But reading it forward it's just a normal expression of authority .

The earliest usage of Gentile is Gen.Ch.10.

In that day the saying had some disparaging usage but how much ,don't know.I do not know  if  Gentiles call other Gentiles a dog in which Dog is implied as a racial slur.

• 4 months later...

Warning, liberal Jewish thought to follow!

The Talmud is the work of rabbis, not prophets nor HaShem. (The Name, meaning the name of God) As such, it suffers from all the errors of men elevating their personal prejudices to religious dogma. That does not make it worthless. You have to interpret it in the light of the time when it was written, and the socio-cultural norms of the time. Yes, there are some horribly offensive things in there. Usually, those are hypothetical situations presented to help clarify what the law is, and how to apply that law.

Assuming the few mentions of Yeshua in the Talmud refer to Jesus is problematic, because the time frame the rabbis place that person in is over a century off from the time of the Christian Jesus, if he existed.

Oh, and as for it being the religion of Jesus, certainly not. The Talmud is a foundational document of rabbinic Judaism, not biblical Judaism. Rabbinic Judaism is the ultimate success of Pharisaic Judaism, which filled the political-religious vacuum left after the destruction of the Temple. The Talmud was not even begun to be written until 90AD, at Yavneh.

My rabbi told me that Jesus preached standard Pharisaic thought, which is only mostly true. He did follow the Law then prevalent, but not all the Pharisaic stringencies. For example, Pharisees would only share meals with other Pharisees.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2014 at 8:22 PM, Guest said:

Hello all,

I am looking for real answers to what the Talmud is. I've read a lot about it online. But I think most of the time it is from a biased source. Does anyone have a deep explanation of this book? Or resources as to where I can find information.

After reading quite a few quotes from the book, all I can say is, it makes me disgusted that, this would be the religion of Jesus Christ? Does Jesus Christ really feel this way about non Jews? I had been dealing with depression and reading this did not help.

I know in one particular gospel account, Jesus does't want to give a miricle to a woman immediatly. She is refered to as a Dog.  Mathew 15:27.

Quite frankly, I will not bend a knee, to a God that feels that way about me. I'm a bit of a church surfer, I have never asked LDS missionaires about this before. But I have talked to LDS missionaries a great deal.

Also, I have had quite a few theology classes, so I understand how things can be taken out of context to fit an agenda. As I non LDS member, I see this happen every day to my LDS Friends.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

and thank you,

I just did a search on this question...... 

Kabbalah is mystical Judaism, Torah is the first 5 books of the TaNaKh (Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Leviticus and Deuteronomy), and the Talmud is a combination of historical data, interpretation of Torah, customs and beliefs of Judaism. They are all Jewish sacred books and there are others as well. 

Even though Judaism has many commentaries and various sects, all Jews believe in one God as revealed to us by the natural order of the Universe, celebrates this life without relying on a promise of another life and Jews have the mission to perform Tikkun Olam - to heal the world.

The Torah is the five books of Moses; it is our sacred text and has never changed at all, in almost 5000 years. We are forbidden from altering it by removing or adding even one letter. The Torah is part of the Tanakh, the Jewish bible. (what Christians call the 'old testament) Kabbalah is Jewish mysticism. Traditionally, only people aged above 40 are meant to study it. The vast majority of Jews don't spend any time on it, but there are one or two Jews in YA! that do know about it and I will star your post in the hope that they will come along and add a bit more info. The key text within Kabbalah is the Zohar. DEBBIE Kabbalah is not 'pop psychology'. And it is firmly rooted WITHIN Judaism. In fact, while anyone can study it, it won't make an awful lot of sense unless the person has a good knowledge of Judaism, as well :) DANIELLE - the Prophets etc is not found in the Torah, but in the Tanakh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zohar

The Zohar (Hebrew: זֹהַר‬, lit. "Splendor" or "Radiance") is the foundational work in the literature of Jewish mystical thought known as Kabbalah.[1] It is a group of books including commentary on the mystical aspects of the Torah (the five books of Moses) and scriptural interpretations as well as material on mysticism, mythical cosmogony, and mystical psychology. The Zohar contains discussions of the nature of God, the origin and structure of the universe, the nature of souls, redemption, the relationship of Ego to Darkness and "true self" to "The Light of God", and the relationship between the "universal energy" and man. Its scriptural exegesis can be considered an esoteric form of the Rabbinic literature known as Midrash, which elaborates on the Torah.

The Zohar is mostly written in what has been described as a cryptic, obscure style of Aramaic.[2] Aramaic, the day-to-day language of Israel in the Second Temple period (539 BCE – 70 CE), was the original language of large sections of the biblical books of Daniel and Ezra, and is the main language of the Talmud.[3]

The Zohar first appeared in Spain in the 13th century, and was published by a Jewish writer named Moses de León. De León ascribed the work to Shimon bar Yochai("Rashbi"), a rabbi of the 2nd century during the Roman persecution[4] who, according to Jewish legend,[5][6] hid in a cave for thirteen years studying the Torah and was inspired by the Prophet Elijah to write the Zohar. This accords with the traditional claim by adherents that Kabbalah is the concealed part of the Oral Torah.

I have been listening to quite a lot about Zohar as explained by Rabbi Alon Anava.  I believe that his teachings may be shockingly like

those of either John the Baptist and Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus.  

Edited by DennisTate
better link...

Rabbi Alon Anava states that during his near death experience he was shown

much about what he later learned..... .when he was taught Zohar.  So his enthusiasm for Zohar.....

is certainly beyond the ordinary.  

I could be wrong... but I believe that near death experiencer Christian Andreason was shown all the same things.......

but because he was not called into Judaism... .he words essentially all the same ideas in simple high school English.

http://www.allaboutchristian.com/spirituality/