Appropriate tv shows

Sunday21

I have personally found once upon a time to be quite clean and entertaining, Murdoch Mysteries (Canadian show... don't know if it is in the US) is also clean and somewhat entertaining. I really don't follow TV though, so I won't be much help.

If you don't mind older shows I would suggest that JAG, Macgyver, A-team, Murder she wrote, Columbo, Lois and Clark, the early edition, quantum leap, and the Pretender are pretty safe. 

I think Merlin and Psych are both very tame and very very entertaining. I would rate them some of the best series I've ever watched.  

I really enjoyed the Office and Parks and Recreation but some of their humor can be pretty inappropriate. I feel fine watching them myself though. 

anything on BYUTV.  :)  We love Granite Flats and the one that finds people randomly and tells their stories.

We watch Shark Tank sometimes.  American's Got Talent has been fun and I've enjoyed The Voice.  

I have to admit I love Big Bang Theory.  :)  I haven't kept caught up with the last or new season through.  No time in the evenings with homework, dinner, bath and bedtimes.  By the time I sit down to watch TV its 8:30 or 9:00

I also love Chuck.

I'm pretty much nerdy about Merlin. That is probably the cleanest show I watch. I believe I can count on one hand the number of swear words I've heard in the series.

Psych is another one of my favorites. It's decent, but it still has language and occasional innuendos. I also love Once Upon a Time. But it also has some less-than-pure moments.

The above are fine if you are okay with occasional bits. I wouldn't consider them perfect.

On the other end of the spectrum, I love Supernatural and Big Bang Theory. But I can't in good consciousness recommend them as appropriate. It's just that I've been a loyal fan of Supernatural since the pilot.

On another note of not-so-good shows... the controversial Game of Thrones. I read the books in college and LOVED them. But I couldn't get into the tv series. All the violence and sex aside, I didn't care for the show's storytelling. Still don't get what the big deal is.

Can anyone recommend appropriate tv shows? I was happily watching "Modern Family" but I think the material may have crossed the line. Thanks"

From the entertainment only venue i can't offer any advice... about every ad for a new tv show is pretty disgusting or disappointing. However from the education angle i've found quite a few on Hulu's documentary channel.. I find things like the National Geographic channel to be pretty enjoyable. Recently i've been really enjoying the Ancient Impossible series.

if you want older shows I can vouch for Star trek, Stargate SG1 (with the exception of the pilot episode), Munk, Babylon 5, Gargoyles, Unsolved Mysteries, X-files.

Edited by Blackmarch

I also love Chuck.

I'm pretty much nerdy about Merlin. That is probably the cleanest show I watch. I believe I can count on one hand the number of swear words I've heard in the series.

Psych is another one of my favorites. It's decent, but it still has language and occasional innuendos. I also love Once Upon a Time. But it also has some less-than-pure moments.

The above are fine if you are okay with occasional bits. I wouldn't consider them perfect.

On the other end of the spectrum, I love Supernatural and Big Bang Theory. But I can't in good consciousness recommend them as appropriate. It's just that I've been a loyal fan of Supernatural since the pilot.

On another note of not-so-good shows... the controversial Game of Thrones. I read the books in college and LOVED them. But I couldn't get into the tv series. All the violence and sex aside, I didn't care for the show's storytelling. Still don't get what the big deal is.

all the sex and violence.

• 1 month later...

How about "19 Kids and Counting"?

IMO, the reason to enjoy TV entertainment is to escape into other worlds. You're not going to find anything with everything all virtuous, since as humans, aren't we usually drawn to the "good vs bad" story lines. If there are good guys, there are probably bad guys as well. Just pick a show you enjoy and don't worry too much about all the stuff in the show that seems to happen in real life too.

But seriously, "19 Kids and Counting" is a pretty good show. There's also Castle, Masterpiece Theatre (Classic and Mystery), NOVA, Grimm, etc.

M.

Most of the cooking and travel shows about cooking are ok. We watch the Cooking Channel and Food Network, and the Travel Channel all the time. Might sound terribly boring, but these shows are updated for a modern audience, with fast-paced contests and things that are quite entertaining.

Edited by Silhouette

This is what's currently in my TV series recordings - I'm not a big TV fan, so I record stuff then when I feel like it, I play what's on my recording.

Dancing with the Stars - I'm rooting for Carlton for 1st place, Sadie for 2nd place, and Lea Thompson for 3rd place.

Agents of SHIELD - this is about SHIELD from the Marvel heroes universe.  I'm a Marvel fan.

Love It or List it - there are 2 versions of these, I like the original one.  It's an HGTV show where a couple has a house that they are thinking of selling to move into a better house and one person from the show fixes up their old house and the other person is a realtor who helps them find a new house... and in the end, the couple gets to decide whether to stay in their fixed up house or move to the new house.

Star Wars Rebels - it's an animated show (they're not kiddie, though) set 14 years after Revenge of the Sith.

Ultimate Fighter - It's an MMA reality type show.  I'm super interested in this season because it's the first time they have a bracket for women at 105-115lbs.  Whoever wins this season is going to win the weight division's Belt.  And I can relate to this because this is my size women.

So yeah, it might take me well into 2016 to finally watch all of these recordings...

Some old shows I have on DVD that I love - Battlestar Galactica (the original one - I hate the new one), Star Trek Voyager, Avatar the Last Airbender.

Some old shows I'm looking to buy - CI5 (British show in the late 70's, early 80's), Voltes V (also an old animated TV show), Mork and Mindy (classic Robin Williams).

...Some old shows I have on DVD that I love - Battlestar Galactica (the original one - I hate the new one)...

Really? You like the Richard Hatch/Dirk Benedict BG and hate the Jamie Bamber/Katee Sackoff BG. I can't imagine that. I loved the 2004 TV series, it was great.

M. 

Really? You like the Richard Hatch/Dirk Benedict BG and hate the Jamie Bamber/Katee Sackoff BG. I can't imagine that. I loved the 2004 TV series, it was great.

M. 

Yes.  Really.  I love Apollo.  He's my favorite character.  And, of course, Starbucks was his perfect sidekick.  Those characters were changed in the new series - and when they change the most elemental characters that you love about the show, you're going to hate it... it's like a disloyalty and disrespect thing.

Of course, if you're not really big on the old characters, then the new take of these characters could prove to be an improvement.

Edited by anatess