Appropriate tv shows

Sunday21

I was raised predominantly by my grandparents in the TV shows I watched, and many of them were older programs, like The Jeffersons, the Carol Burnett Show, and other classic sitcoms.

Although some of these shows might not be laugh-out-loud funny to my generation, I highly encourage you to show your kids them sometimes. While all of them have a certain level of cleanliness on terms of humor, and language, they will also provide your child with understanding different types of humor, and being able to laugh at different things than the ridiculously stupid stuff they show on television these days. Those things should not be discarded of course, but it's good to expose your kids to make them well-rounded, more sharp, and be able to look back and forward. This doesn't mean you should show your kid 100% old television, but including these into your routine will give your kid the opportunity to grow. 

The television, especially in realms of comedy, are in important tool in today's society, for the shows we watch somewhat influence what we laugh at, how we see the human race, and otherwise. 

I was raised predominantly by my grandparents in the TV shows I watched, and many of them were older programs, like The Jeffersons, the Carol Burnett Show, and other classic sitcoms.

Although some of these shows might not be laugh-out-loud funny to my generation, I highly encourage you to show your kids them sometimes. While all of them have a certain level of cleanliness on terms of humor, and language, they will also provide your child with understanding different types of humor, and being able to laugh at different things than the ridiculously stupid stuff they show on television these days. Those things should not be discarded of course, but it's good to expose your kids to make them well-rounded, more sharp, and be able to look back and forward. This doesn't mean you should show your kid 100% old television, but including these into your routine will give your kid the opportunity to grow. 

The television, especially in realms of comedy, are in important tool in today's society, for the shows we watch somewhat influence what we laugh at, how we see the human race, and otherwise. 

media does tend to be a mirror of sorts.

Yes.  Really.  I love Apollo.  He's my favorite character.  And, of course, Starbucks was his perfect sidekick.  Those characters were changed in the new series - and when they change the most elemental characters that you love about the show, you're going to hate it... it's like a disloyalty and disrespect thing.

Of course, if you're not really big on the old characters, then the new take of these characters could prove to be an improvement.

Anatess, I just read this article informing us that Glen Larson passed away a week ago. The writer of the article agrees with you on the two TV series of BG.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865616057/Mormon-creator-of-Battlestar-Galactica-dared-to-produce-something-profound.html

M.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, so I apologize if it has. I'm too lazy to read the whole thread right now.

If you can get something called MeTV, they have nothing but older tv shows such as Lost in Space, Colombo, CHiPS, Emergency, Mr. Ed, and others like those. We enjoy it, and I've never seen anything inappropriate shown on it.

Another great one for old shows like that is Antenna Television, which shows things like Dennis the Menace, F Troop, and others from that era.

Both of these are usually carried by local stations. MeTV is all we watch on Saturday night anymore because they have "Sci-Fi Saturday Night", which is a lineup of Batman, Wonder Woman, Star Trek (The original series), Svengoolie, a host show that presents old black and white horror classics such as Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. Last night it showed the old Don Knotts comedy horror classic The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. After that show comes the old show Lost in Space, and there's one more after that which I think is also science fiction, but I can't recall the name right now.

Maybe we need to get a life, but you can find us parked in front of the tv watching MeTV every Saturday night.

Edited by Silhouette

• 2 weeks later...

I go through phases for what I watch on TV. I enjoy Modern Family and think it's pretty squeaky clean, to be honest, I haven't seen where it crosses the line so to speak. Again, what another poster had said, everyone's perception is a bit different when it comes to appropriate versus inappropriate. This might be extreme but if you're looking to avoid crap on telly, you're best filter is to resort to the kids networks, which will play all your family friendly series and movies. Sure you might get one or two bad apples but overall it's going to be pretty mellow.

I just finished up watching all the Star Trek tv series this past month.  It took me several years to go through all the series on Netflix.  I'm having withdrawals.  Should I start over again?  I started with Star Trek Voyager, then went to The Next Generation, and just finished Deep Space Nine. I'm missing it.

I love some of the British shows.  I can't wait for the next Sherlock.  But, is that considered squeaky clean?  Maybe not.  I wasn't offended by it, but maybe the Irene Adler scene where Sherlock first meets her could be considered racy.

I just finished up watching all the Star Trek tv series this past month.  It took me several years to go through all the series on Netflix.  I'm having withdrawals.  Should I start over again?  I started with Star Trek Voyager, then went to The Next Generation, and just finished Deep Space Nine. I'm missing it....

classylady, what about Star Trek (the original series) and Enterprise, did you watch those too?

M.

classylady, what about Star Trek (the original series) and Enterprise, did you watch those too?

M.

My thought was to watch the original series next.  I haven't heard of Enterprise.  Is it a new series?  I'll have to see if Netflix has it.

Studio C and The Flash are the only current shows we keep up on.

We also like to occasionally watch older shows, many of which have already been mentioned.  Monk is the only one i can think of off the top of my head that hasn't.

Doctor Who is another one we have enjoyed but haven't kept up on.

My thought was to watch the original series next.  I haven't heard of Enterprise.  Is it a new series?  I'll have to see if Netflix has it.

No, Star Trek: Enterprise was set as a prequel to Star Trek (TOS) but it did not last the 7 years that the other Star Trek series were given. Scott Bakula played Captain Jonathan Archer.

Star Trek: Enterprise (originally titled Enterprise for the first two seasons) is a science fiction TV series and a prequel to the original Star Trek. The series premiered September 26, 2001, on the UPN television network with the final episode airing on May 13, 2005.[1]

M.

Edited by Maureen

I canceled cable 7 years ago, i go on the internet daily for news, weather or sports information.

we have netflix, i usually end up watching documentaries or stuff from hgtv and natgeo. 

my kids have a "kids" account on netflix and i never have to worry about them browsing inappropriate shows under that account.

I found Enterprise on Netflix.  I've already watched 4 episodes.  So far, I'm liking it.

Well, I kinda hate to tell you this, but...it gets worse. I remember watching Enterprise when it first started, and the first few episodes were promising. But then it got stupid. I can't remember why, whether it was sociopolitical stuff I found mindless and poorly reasoned (and rigidly PC), or ridiculous plots, or embarrassing writing, or what. But I stopped watching it halfway through the first season and had no desire to try it again.

Well, I kinda hate to tell you this, but...it gets worse. I remember watching Enterprise when it first started, and the first few episodes were promising. But then it got stupid. I can't remember why, whether it was sociopolitical stuff I found mindless and poorly reasoned (and rigidly PC), or ridiculous plots, or embarrassing writing, or what. But I stopped watching it halfway through the first season and had no desire to try it again.

Thanks for the warning.

On the topic of Star Trek, I've only watched one of the movies (can't remember which one), and obviously I wasn't too impressed if I haven't made the effort to watch the others.  Are some of the movies better than others?  Which Star Trek movies are the best, or would I need to watch them all in order to follow the storyline?

That's ok, she can always look for The Animated Series if Enterprise stalls out.

The last season after it gets cancelled but before it ends...  It starts to rock..  Leaving me asking why couldn't you have been this show the entire time?!?!