Appropriate tv shows

Sunday21

On the topic of Star Trek, I've only watched one of the movies (can't remember which one), and obviously I wasn't too impressed if I haven't made the effort to watch the others.  Are some of the movies better than others?  Which Star Trek movies are the best, or would I need to watch them all in order to follow the storyline?

Number 1 (was it called Star Trek: The Motion Picture?) was wall-to-wall boring.  Who was it who said, "I'd walk out of that movie, even on an airplane"?  As I watched it, I was half-expecting the characters to break the 4th wall and blurt out something like, "Who wrote this awful screenplay?"  They should have just used "Number 1" as the movie title, because that's what it was.  One critic, Harold Livingston, wrote that the film consisted of spaceships that "take an unconscionable amount of time to get anywhere, and nothing of dramatic or human interest happens along the way."  (Wikipedia)

Numbers 2 and 3 (Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock) are terrific and prove that nobody really dies in Hollywood movies.  (Reminds me of that great line from Dark Shadows, where Barnabas the vampire snaps, "I didn't say she was dead.  I said I killed her.")  Anyway, I vote for 2 and 3 as the best.  As I recall, even Siskel and Ebert gave Wrath of Khan two enthusiastic thumbs-up.

Number 4 (The Voyage Home) was more light-hearted and reportedly caused shockwaves of laughter in Utah theaters when Kirk tried to say "LSD" but it came out "LDS."  I think my house is even visible in one scene.  It's a madcap romp with whales, starships, and a very puzzled Mr. Scott in front of a 1986 Apple Macintosh.

The rest are so-so.  I would watch them on my rowing machine, but not on my sofa with nothing else to do.  And I don't think you need to watch them in order except for 2 and 3.  In fact, watching them grossly out of sequence probably wouldn't diminish your understanding of the plot because all the plots are standalone yawners.

The last season after it gets cancelled but before it ends...  It starts to rock..  Leaving me asking why couldn't you have been this show the entire time?!?!

Used to watch this with my young nephews. Thought that the episode where the Captain has to investigate Vulcan religion was thoughtful and nicely done.

As for current shows, Bluebloods(?).

• 2 years later...

Try...
White Collar
Scorpion
Forever
Saving Hope
Bull
Agent Carter
Stargate Sg1 (The Pilot has a couple rough spots but they can be skiped or the pilot could be skipped altogether:( after that theres Hathor and then everything else is pretty dang clean:) )
Sofia the First
Marvel Animated Series
Doctor Who
Once Upon a Time
Psych
Merlin
Robin Hood - BBC
The Librarians

Thats just off the top of my head.

I love Psych! I own (and watch) the entire series on a regular basis.

Leverage and Parks & Rec are also ones that I've loved. Not perfect, but cleaner language than my coworkers.

Say what you will about me, but I bought Liberty's Kids on DVD. 

Someone on my facebook posted about some network (I forget which) reairing the classic TGIF lineup: Full House, Family Matters, and More & Mindy. You could probably throw in Boy Meets World, Just the Ten of Us, Step by Step, and Growing Pains, too.

Shows about antiques always find a way to be interesting, I think. Antiques Roadshow, American Pickers, and Pawn Stars (their language may be a bit crude at times, but again, cleaner than my coworkers). 

There are a lot of home shows out there, but so many of them are dangerously materialistic that it irritates me more than graphic situations in sitcoms. My favorite is probably Fixer Upper with Chip and Joanna Gaines.

Edited by seashmore

Andy Griffith!

Now that was a good show.  Reminds me of how America is supposed to be.

I also enjoy watching Mash sometimes.

Edited by DoctorLemon

On 2014-9-15 at 8:13 PM, Sunday21 said:

Can anyone recommend appropriate tv shows? I was happily watching "Modern Family" but I think the material may have crossed the line. Thanks"

"May have crossed the line? "  In Hollywood,  there is no line.  There are perverted agendas, there are pedophiles and narcissists, and some really messed up in the head, people, but there are no lines.  There is freedom of "artistic" expression (I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face writing this) in which running around naked and acting out sex scenes, having a filthy mouth, killing and murdering people,  denigrating family values, and spitting on the sanctity of marriage is considered  "art," but no line. For entertainment,  my wife and I read good books and discuss them.

• 1 month later...