Mormons and Gays

JacoJohnson

I was just telling you that your interpretation of God's word didn't savvy with my experiences, so I disagree with your interpretation,

Then you should stick with your understanding of God's word.

and it seems like at least a few on here agree with me.

Nothing could be less relevant to truth.

Then you should stick with your understanding of God's word.

Nothing could be less relevant to truth.

And I plan to.

And I disagree. Don't you think we have a better chance of understanding God by understanding the lives, situations, and beliefs based on experiences of his many children, rather than only listening to those with the only similar experiences to our own? If a lot of people say their experience (not just their rhetoric) don't savvy with your interpretation, maybe you should look a little closer at your interpretation, even if, in the end, it stays the same.

And I plan to.

And I disagree. Don't you think we have a better chance of understanding God by understanding the lives, situations, and beliefs based on experiences of his many children, rather than only listening to those with the only similar experiences to our own? If a lot of people say their experience (not just their rhetoric) don't savvy with your interpretation, maybe you should look a little closer at your interpretation, even if, in the end, it stays the same.

First of all, how do you know I haven't looked at other's experiences closely?

Secondly, and more importantly, truth comes from God through Holy Spirit, not through corrupt mortal philosophies that call good evil and evil good.

The whole world could come together and determine that murder is okay. I still know it's not. It simply doesn't matter what the consensus is.

More importantly, and why your comment really was entirely irrelevant, is because the fact that there's two or three others being vocal and agreeing with you and none with me is meaningless. So we have a crowd (a very, very small one) that's favorable to your thinking. Another day the situation may be the reverse. So if there were more vocal conservatives expressing comments which agreed with mine would it make me more or less right? The answer is neither. It's irrelevant.

Truth is not relative. Morality is not relative. It is what it is. Either I'm right or I'm wrong (or a combination of the two), but how many others join with me or not doesn't change that at all.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

First of all, how do you know I haven't looked at other's experiences closely?

Secondly, and more importantly, truth comes from God through Holy Spirit, not through corrupt mortal philosophies that call good evil and evil good.

The whole world could come together and determine that murder is okay. I still know it's not. It simply doesn't matter what the consensus is.

More importantly, and why your comment really was entirely irrelevant, is because the fact that there's two or three others being vocal and agreeing with you and none with me is meaningless. So we have a crowd (a very, very small one) that's favorable to your thinking. Another day the situation may be the reverse. So if there were more vocal conservatives expressing comments which agreed with mine would it make me more or less right? The answer is neither. It's irrelevant.

Truth is not relative. Morality is not relative. It is what it is. Either I'm right or I'm wrong (or a combination of the two), but how many others join with me or not doesn't change that at all.

Because looking at another's beliefs usually leads to respect. I don't sense respect in your comments. I could be wrong.

I didn't say more people disagreeing with you made you wrong, I said you might want to look a little closer at your interpretation.

And morality is absolutely relative. Nephi taught us that. I'll agree it has nothing to do with how many people think something is moral, but it is relative.

Because looking at another's beliefs usually leads to respect. I don't sense respect in your comments. I could be wrong.

I'm curious. Do you consider your comments to me respectful?

You keep criticizing me because you disagree with me. What's your objective in this. Humiliation? Winning the argument? Just cutting me down? Hurting my feelings? Cow me into submission?

I love how the liberals always feel they have something to teach me. The poor conservative who just doesn't understand, doesn't love people as well, has no respect for anyone, and just needs to learn to be a better person. Meanwhile they tear me apart, hurt my feelings, call me names, and accuse me of all sorts of horrible things.

Hypocrisy anyone?

I didn't say more people disagreeing with you made you wrong, I said you might want to look a little closer at your interpretation.

Because a few people on a forum disagree with me?

I'm of the opinion that you need to look a little closer at your opinion. Too bad I don't have a few others in the room right now on my side. Then I could make the same argument to you. Oh well.

And morality is absolutely relative. Nephi taught us that. I'll agree it has nothing to do with how many people think something is moral, but it is relative.

Respectfully, you are mistaken.

This thread has turned too personal and I'm not enjoying it any longer so I will step out out it.

The good parts of the conversation I have enjoyed. The attacking, accusing, holier-than-thou, "I'm just trying to help you be a better person" boloney...not so much.

I apologize for those times when I have been guilty of the same.

See you in another thread.

TFP

I'm curious. Do you consider your comments to me respectful?

You keep criticizing me because you disagree with me. What's your objective in this. Humiliation? Winning the argument? Just cutting me down? Hurting my feelings? Cow me into submission?

I love how the liberals always feel they have something to teach me. The poor conservative who just doesn't understand, doesn't love people as well, has no respect for anyone, and just needs to learn to be a better person. Meanwhile they tear me apart, hurt my feelings, call me names, and accuse me of all sorts of horrible things.

Hypocrisy anyone?

Because a few people on a forum disagree with me?

I'm of the opinion that you need to look a little closer at your opinion. Too bad I don't have a few others in the room right now on my side. Then I could make the same argument to you. Oh well.

Respectfully, you are mistaken.

I don't feel I've been disrespectful. I have pointed out holes in your argument. I guess you could see my teasing you those couple of times as disrespectful... I'll keep respect more in mind in the future as it's obvious you've felt disrespected. And, I'm actually pretty conservative, sorry to disappoint. ;) I've not called you names though, or accused you of anything more horrible than not trying to understand others, probably because I'm not a liberal :)

I've looked very closely at my opinion. Honestly, no more than five years ago it looked just like yours. Then I actually tried to look at all of this from the viewpoint of the people who have to live with it and my beliefs changed. I have no problem looking again though.

And, how do you explain Nephi' s killing of laban, along with the angel's reasoning, if morality is not relative?

Well,I should say I don't believe in relativism, but I do believe morality is situational.

Edited by paulsifer42

Nephi doesn't teach us that morality is relative; he teaches us that it is contextual.

I meant it was relative to context (situation). I tried to clarify in my last post.

I forgot there was a whole line of thinking (relativism) that takes this all to a bad extreme.

Edited by paulsifer42