Views on non-BSA Scouting?

kjmillig

I'm fully aware of all aspects of the Church's connection to BSA.

Does anyone have any official information about the Church's views on non-BSA Scouting, such as BPSA-US or other organizations like Trail Like?

After more than 30 years in BSA I've been feeling fed up with politics, high dollar monthly mini high adventure camps, etc.

I'm going to make an educated guess that there is no "official information" and that the Church doesn't have a position on BPSA-US.  If you want to involve your own children in something other than BSA and/or the LDS application of it, you're certainly welcome to.  I know a few people who participate in BSA troops not affiliated with the Church, and they do so deliberately.

Edited by Wingnut

I'm not quite sure at what you are asking for. Maybe you could clarify your frustrations?

The Church has a handbook guide and resources for how the young men's program can be run in conjunction with Boy Scouting.

https://www.lds.org/callings/aaronic-priesthood/leader-resources/scouting?lang=eng

You will always find people with dissonance with how things are done, or what others choose to do.

If an outside activity uplifts and teaches it is good, if It brings down and makes one captive it is not.

Sometimes certain aspects of a program are more appropriate for some than others.

I'm fully aware of all aspects of the Church's connection to BSA.

Does anyone have any official information about the Church's views on non-BSA Scouting, such as BPSA-US or other organizations like Trail Like?

After more than 30 years in BSA I've been feeling fed up with politics, high dollar monthly mini high adventure camps, etc.

There is nothing official that I can point to, but it is my understanding the that Church has no intention of joining with Trail Life.  

I'm not very familiar with BPSA-US, but the Church likely won't ever partner with it since it allows female membership, and the Church is staunchly against co-ed youth programs.  

But the Church really doesn't care if you choose to participate in those programs yourself.  If that's what's best for you and your family, go for it (though I'd lean toward BPSA over Trail Life).

Or you can do what I did and ditch LDS scouting and work with a community troop that runs scouting in a manner you enjoy.

Edited by MarginOfError

As long as you aren't going against the gospel, I don't think the church cares what you do in your spare time.

The Church does not run the BSA despite popular thought.

When I worked for the BSA, I ran across a mom trying to register her daughter in a local crew without Grandpa knowing. He thought it was evil to join non - church scouting.

The church is involved with scouting as a way to prepare youth to serve a mission. Earning Eagle Scout is secondary to them, do many of our youth earn the rank of Eagle yes, but that it a topic for another thread. The scouting program in the church is an extension of the YM program who's sole purpose is the indoctrination of they youth. LDS scouting and non LDS scouting are two totally different animals. 

• 4 weeks later...

There does tend to be a BIG difference between LDS-BSA & just plain old BSA.  Anyone who works for BSA will tell you that on the computer system there is LDS-BSA & there is just BSA. 

There are politics in both arenas, some of the politics are the same (like costs) & some are different. 

One issue related to costs, the LDS Church has policies regarding fund raising, what can & can not be done to raise funds & a limit of the number of times per year, etc ... church policies are more restrictive then are those held by BSA regarding raising of funds.  As a result, the costs all too often fall to the parents in LDS-BSA whereas with non-LDS groups there are frequently sponsors (i.e.: local businesses) that will work with the troops & cover or help raise many of those costs.

So some of those politics you are tired of may actually be tied into the LDS sponsorship of BSA troops rather then with the functioning of BSA itself.

• 2 weeks later...