BYU students protesting no-beard policy

Despite what many people think, I don't think following the Status Quo rules can be equated with humility (though it could be),

And not all rules should be followed.

Just as a quick example did Jesus refuse to heal people on the Sabbath?

What about an Ox in a mire?

Luke 14:5 "And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the Sabbath day?"

This isn't directly equivalent, but the principal is the same.

Rules do not correct behavior make.

It's still fine for BYU to choose to have this policy, it's the university's choice. Disagreement with the policy doesn't make people bad, just as it doesn't make people good to agree with it.

Hmmmm... I think this is an apples to oranges comparison. There is only one gospel that gives salvation, but there are many colleges that give degrees.

I can't seem to get the ox in the mire thing. If I shave my face, it's not going to die. If it was going to die from shaving, BYU has a policy in place to give a medical exemption.

The biggest thing that bothers me are students who voluntarily chose to go to BYU, knowing about the honor code before they signed up, that protest and belly ache about not being able to grow a stupid beard. It's like buying a car and complaining about the payments, even though the salesman told you about them and had you sign a contract that you would make the payments.

I was thinking about our founding fathers as I read this. Good points.

It's a perfect example. The pro-beard people should leave BYU, go across the mountains to Helper, and form their own college called The United Beards of Utah.

Their flag should be yellow with a coiled, bearded snake, and it should say "don't shave on me".

As stated the comparison is not directly equivalent. It is of a principal behind a story not necessarily a perfect syllogism between scripture and event.

I accept scripture to provide light that can help guide me and others in many situations both spiritual and temporal. As such I used it to illustrate the idea. 

The rule would be about beards

and the correct behavior would be about How people react toward the rule. 

And lastly is how someone reacts towards the rule being humble or not. (does their opinion change their humility/pride alignment)

In scripture the rule would be about not breaking the Sabbath 

The correct behavior would be about following the rule (Are there exceptions? and the implied affirmative)

And lastly would healing/pulling an ox out of a pit on the Sabbath cause someone to not be humble.

Disagreement with a rule, or policy doesn't automatically make someone prideful. (Thinking that your way is the right way and there can be no other way is certainly prideful. Disobeying the rule because you think you know better is  prideful.)

In this case:
The rules were not for the sake of rules and an appearance of piety. The rules didn't make the Sabbath holy. It was remembrance and dedication towards god that did.

The rules about beards, as implied originally served a purpose of professionalism (looking clean, not aligning with various movements) The rules were not for the sake of seeing if you will follow the rules. (The outward appearance of shaving doesn't make one honorable)

The rules are not the foundation of what makes correct behavior.

I see enough similarity. 

I agree with you that those who go to BYU would be expected to follow the universities honor code. I'm not going to debate more about beards, it's kinda pointless, especially since i'm not involved with BYU. I for one would continue to shave even if I was compelled with such a rule   :D

Edited by Crypto

It's a perfect example. The pro-beard people should leave BYU, go across the mountains to Helper, and form their own college called The United Beards of Utah.

Their flag should be yellow with a coiled, bearded snake, and it should say "don't shave on me".

Rofl... that made me LOL.

Maybe they can get Wierd Al to write their school anthem by covering and changing the lyrics to Metallica's song. ;)

http://www.jrn.com/kivitv/news/BYU-students-protest-facial-hair-policy-277437041.html

Either their mommies are members of Ordain Women, or they gave in to their little boys' tantrums so that's how they learned to get what they want.

BYU has a code. It's had a code since the beginning. Part of BYU is an image, and that code helps them maintain it. Don't like the code, don't go to BYU.

Two missionarys knocked on my parents door in 1970 when they lived in peterborough NH. My father let them in because of how clean cut they were. Who knows how history would have gone, but i am a member of the church today because of how they looked.I am not advocating BYU students dress like missionarys. But the way you dress means something, al least it meant something to my father.

Edited by srmaher