Why must we be married to reach the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom?

pipeorgan

I just don't understand why this is a requirement.  Why isn't our own righteousness and relationship with God the determining factor?  

By implication (and I think this has been mentioned by others) you're saying that one can be righteous and have the right relationship with God and yet at the same time not prioritize marriage or obey His will in these things.

They are not mutually exclusive. One's righteousness and relationship with God is the determining factor. And marriage is a key part of that.

Do you mean procreation within temple marriage or does this include crack babies?

Not sure of the point you are trying to make???  Are you implying that crack babies are lesser humans?  Not as valuable life forms?

It is always interesting to me how individual righteousness and relationship to G-d is defined.  Marriage is given of G-d and the very first commandment given to Adam was to multiply and replenish the earth (in short - to have children in the manner that G-d has willed such to be).  How can we think we are righteous and have a meaningful relationship with G-d when we deliberately ignore or excuse his counsel.

We should not think that attaining the celestial glory singly is being on the "B-team."  People who inherit celestial glory live forever in the presence of God the Father.  They are happy there.  They are glorious beyond our imagination.  Anyone who desires celestial marriage will have the opportunity to obtain it before the resurrection and the judgment.

It may be the case that one's future mate is someone they never knew in life and their romance only began in the spirit world.  It may be that one's mate lived during a different dispensation.  In the spirit world, we are still us.  Righteous relationships--including romance--will still be available to those who seek an eternal partner.  

During the millennium, the veil will be traversed by resurrected beings and spirits to those who labor in the temples.  If a single person finds their mate on the other side, it is fully possible for revelation to be granted to living family members who can perform the proxy ordinances for those who desire them.  

Only those who wish to remain single and separate will remain in that state.  God will honor their desire and they will serve him forever in joy.  Their choice is not to progress into exaltation and have eternal increase--but that is their choice.  God will grant each of us the desire of our hearts if we live to qualify for the blessings in time, or in eternity.  Revelation and proxy ordinances in the temples make this possible.

It may be the case that one's future mate is someone they never knew in life and their romance only began in the spirit world.  It may be that one's mate lived during a different dispensation.  In the spirit world, we are still us.  Righteous relationships--including romance--will still be available to those who seek an eternal partner.  

I dunno. Smacks a bit too much to me of pre-destination. Maybe that's not what you're getting at. Either way it behooves us to do all within our power to find our mate in this life. If we do that, we can trust that it will work out on the other side. If we do not, I'm not so sure. Not making effort makes us accountable.

I just don't understand why this is a requirement.  Why isn't our own righteousness and relationship with God the determining factor?  

How much you put into following god's commandments determines your righteousness. part of God's commandments is to be married. And a proper marriage will involve God.

I don't mean to suggest that we have soul-mates, or that predestination is involved.  It's just the case that, as the Church grows, many members (particularly females) won't find a suitable mate in this life.  In most cultures, the male courts the female and asks for her hand in marriage.  Age, distance, the pool of available partners can vary depending on where one lives.

An example of this would be a wonderful lady in the branch where I used to be branch president.  She was an African-American divorcee in her late 40s, who lived in a really rural area.  There were no single male members in the branch near her age and none were African American (it was her preference to marry a man of the same race).  The nearest stake or church unit was over 2 hours away.  She was fairly poor and had a car that barely ran.  Traveling far and wide wasn't an option for her.  Based on her opportunities to find a mate, it is possible that she might not find one in this life.  In such a case, I'm sure the Lord has a way to help her find a mate because she desires one, even if she never finds one in mortality.  It will be her choice and he will respond with miracles on either side of the veil.

Marriage is a special kind of refiner's fire that can't be duplicated. I say that as a very happily married woman. But it's hard, and requires a lot of selflessness, give-and-take, daily sacrifice, development of patience, endurance, and a level of commitment to sticking through something that I challenge you to find anywhere else. The rewards are enormous, but they don't come with the ring on the finger. It's constant work. CONSTANT. If you're really working at it, you can't help but grow in the process. 

Raising children has taught me more about Heavenly Father and His nature than anything else in my life. It would make sense that He would want me to have the same kinds of challenges and joys, if He wants me to inherit all that He has someday. 

• 3 weeks later...

Do not be concerned that the precept isn't understood in this life (i.e. what about nuns and priests). There will be a time that all will have the opportunity to understand the precept. I don't think one can really understand it until they are in a working relationship they can envision as eternal. Those in bad, or immature, relationships may not have grasped that it can be enternal. Having children too may move one closer to understand the eternal nature of families. Meanwhile, take your time in finding someone you can work with toward an enternal relationship. 

I guess this is hard for me to understand as a convert to the church.  I have known many very righteous nuns and priests who have given their lives to worshipping The Lord.  I would guess that they are more righteous than I am, though I am married.  

if a person does everything 100% correct except for being baptised, then even they would not be able to recieve the greatest that the Lord has to offer.

For every law kept there is a reward, for every law broken there is a consequence. A nun or monk may be doing doing everything right, except getting married.... the big question in that case is that once they are presented with the rest of God's word so that they understand that marriage is important, will they repent? If so, then there is nothing out of their reach to obtain from God.

However once a person chooses their way over what God would have them do, then they start to remove themselves from whichever blessings that are affixed to whatever laws they choose to reject.

Fortunately through christ we can repent of things we did not know we were doing wrong, as well of the things we have known to be wrong.

Do you mean procreation within temple marriage or does this include crack babies?

We are all children of God, every one of us.  We have all passed the first estate test which is a test of belief in God's plan, belief in a Savior, understanding the goodness of this plan and choosing it over not.  We have all done that, down to the most lowly person, we are all valuable and will receive a state of glory for having passed the first estate test.   This is how we view all of God's children, in our true state as a glorified eternal being.

Christ, knowing this plan of happiness, can love the sinner, can love the sick and the forgotten and can even say 'forgive them for they know not what they do' because He knows us as those souls who righteously passed the first estate test, standing up for God's plan over those that would tear it down.

If you think of glory and creation as synonyms, then those who can create eternal lives have more glory because they can create what others can't.

It's not like you get a pass into a secret room on Kolob.  It's what your capacity is to create that defines your degree of glory.  Eternity is a long time and if you're not creating then what exactly else is there to do????

• 2 weeks later...

See, this is another reason why we need to have Religious Affiliation on our profile beneath our avatar.

In Catholic belief - the God substance has no physical gender but displays all gender qualities.  So He is both male and female (quality) and he is neither male nor female (physically).

So, lazy could possibly be a Catholic...

Edited by anatess

While in the MTC, I remember someone saying that the word Elohim by definition was both male and female.  I have no idea where they got that information. I have no idea if it's true or not.  But, if that information is going around, then even LDS may have the idea that Elohim is both male and female.

Many ancient concepts for god had both male and female connotations and even roles (especially in Egyptian which has an interesting influence on Israel). it's not surprising that something like that would be taken to a literal level. Altho I wonder how much of that is due to confusing the role or nature of Godhood with the actual being.

While in the MTC, I remember someone saying that the word Elohim by definition was both male and female.  I have no idea where they got that information. I have no idea if it's true or not.  But, if that information is going around, then even LDS may have the idea that Elohim is both male and female.

Certainly not in the common use of it by members. We mean God the Father by it, and nothing else. Whether there's a male and female side to the original word...*shrug*

My wife shared this simple phrase from Gospel Principles Chapter 46: The Final Judgment on the way to Church that in my opinion best answers this question. 

At the Final Judgment we will inherit a place in the kingdom for which we are prepared.

I think that's just it.

If you avoid the responsibility of marriage and family and don't receive and honor eternal sacred covenants with a spouse and experience the  joy and pain of raising children together then you aren't prepared to do the same at a much greater level when we receive our inheritance.