unpaid musicians

Guest harpsichord

You aren't even trying to get it, are you?

So what if it is your profession? You are not playing for the church in a professional capacity, so your profession is irrelevant.

You throw around the word profession as if it is some sort of proof that you are better or superior to others. Just because someone gets paid for something doesn't mean the are the best or better than someone who is unpaid. Heck, it doesn't even necessarily mean that they are good. I am sure there any number of people who are as good as, or better, than you who simply have not chosen to make money on their talent.

Some denominations pay their organists because they have chosen - for various reasons - to mark it a paid position. This is not the case in our church, as you well know. Callings are not about professions or payment.

Everything we have comes to us from Heavenly Father. But you want to be paid to play music in His church? And you want people to bow down to your superior (in your mind) talent?

I would much rather enjoy the music of an amateur with a humble heart than that of a smug professional.

Yes, I understand it is not treated as a profession in the church.

And yes, there are people who are paid who are not very good and some that are unpaid that are amazing. In general, the quality is higher if the musician is paid, though.

Where did you get that I want people to bow down to my superior talent? I never said anything of the sort...

I guess the point of my original post wasn't clear. I guess it didn't really even have much of a point. I was mostly just impulsively venting a frustration. I don't expect the church to pay its musicians and have never said that they should. I do believe this usually sacrifices quality but I don't think this really matters to most people. I am mostly just torn about what to do regarding my calling. It's unfortunate no one else in my ward can play the organ.

Yes, I understand it is not treated as a profession in the church.

And yes, there are people who are paid who are not very good and some that are unpaid that are amazing. In general, the quality is higher if the musician is paid, though.

Where did you get that I want people to bow down to my superior talent? I never said anything of the sort...

You are insanely fixated on your "professional" mantra. Just because you make choices to earn money by playing money does not mean you are better than someone who is unpaid. I guess all paid clergy are superior to, and more inspiring than Mormon bishops because it's their profession.

We're taught to magnify our callings, not to whine that we should gat paid because we think we are better than others.

I guess the point of my original post wasn't clear. I guess it didn't really even have much of a point. I was mostly just impulsively venting a frustration. I don't expect the church to pay its musicians and have never said that they should. I do believe this usually sacrifices quality but I don't think this really matters to most people. I am mostly just torn about what to do regarding my calling. It's unfortunate no one else in my ward can play the organ.

Take it as a true calling, in you're corner of the world, you are the only person who can fulfill this role. :)

You are insanely fixated on your "professional" mantra. Just because you make choices to earn money by playing money does not mean you are better than someone who is unpaid. I guess all paid clergy are superior to, and more inspiring than Mormon bishops because it's their profession.

We're taught to magnify our callings, not to whine that we should gat paid because we think we are better than others.

No, the fact that I am a paid musician does not make me inherently better than any other musician. It's my 1337 sk1lls. Just kidding...

Paid clergy of other denominations are often very informed, many with Ph.D's in theology. Catholic priests study for many years before they are ordained. Does this make them better than the average bishop? Perhaps many of them are more educated and scholarly. I suppose that doesn't necessarily make them more effective to the majority, though. And no, it does not make them inherently "better", but I believe their devotion and knowledge should be respected and they should not be looked down upon for being paid. I also believe it is very commendable that bishops donate so much of their time for free, but I don't think this makes their service superior. Each system has its good points.