Official church resources for those who have doubts?

Guest stovepipe

There is a bit of a difference...  Lets personalize it a bit...  If I were to say mdfxdb was a flawed, imperfect man, who sinned.  Well you would probably be a bit stung by it and wonder if I had something against you, but we would generally accept the claims because we all are in the same category of flawed sinners.

However if I were to make the claim that mdfxdb was a alcoholic, adulterer, and racist to boot.  Well those are fighting words.  You would be well within your Right to demand I prove such things or be guilty of slander (or maybe its libel I am a bit vague on how those work with posts on the Internet).   You would have every reason to expect that I had some kind of hostile motive toward you and that I wasn't trying humanize you or make you accessible to the masses.  You would more likely assume I was trying to alienate everyone else from you.

Exactly!

This "just trying to humanize them" stuff is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to slander. That may not be the motive of the presenter, but it is, without a doubt, the product received.

I think in our throwing around accusations, and apologizing for misdeeds, or perceived misdeeds we have strayed from the point.  Which is that prophets are imperfect men.  Men just like most of us, subject to temptation, and weakness.  What makes them different is that they can overcome those temptations, they are called of God, and the behavior of the individuals in no way negates the truthfulness of the church of God.

Amen.  The point isn't that they were always weak--or that they were always strong.  The point is that they overcame.

Let's be honest, by today's standards most of our early prophets would not even be allowed to have a temple recommend (word of wisdom nonsense).....

This is a common refrain; but I think it's not particularly probative and something of a distraction.  Observance of temple recommend standards does not make us righteous per se.  Rather, it is a (in most cases) visible manifestation of a deeper general (though, certainly, imperfect) attitude of sincere repentance and good-faith, no-excuses submission to the Lord's will. 

I have no doubt that any modern LDS prophet would have failed that criteria; or that--if a modern Brigham Young's bishop told him he needed to give up tobacco for good--he'd have done it.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

There is a bit of a difference...  Lets personalize it a bit...  If I were to say mdfxdb was a flawed, imperfect man, who sinned.  Well you would probably be a bit stung by it and wonder if I had something against you, but we would generally accept the claims because we all are in the same category of flawed sinners.

However if I were to make the claim that mdfxdb was a alcoholic, adulterer, and racist to boot.  Well those are fighting words.  You would be well within your Right to demand I prove such things or be guilty of slander (or maybe its libel I am a bit vague on how those work with posts on the Internet).   You would have every reason to expect that I had some kind of hostile motive toward you and that I wasn't trying humanize you or make you accessible to the masses.  You would more likely assume I was trying to alienate everyone else from you.

I was wrong....I have admitted as much, I will be compliant with the rules, can we please move on.

prove I ever stated that Mormons didn't celebrate x-mas

Why? Did someone accuse you of saying that?

My post was an illustration, a type. I made a claim, and cited a source which didn't support my claim. In my other post I made a claim and then cited a source that wasn't verifiable. Who are those people I cited? Where did they get this info? Are they experts on the subject? Are they privy in anyway to knowledge about the subjected I cited them on?

Perhaps this dead horse has been beaten, but I'll give it one last whack then let it be. We all get the prophets are fallible imperfect beings, I even in moments of weakness draw strength from that fact. Buy I can not tolerate slander and character assisnation of great men. Brigham Young seems to get it in many ways much worse than even Joseph Smith Jr. Does. Let us not join in the crowd to throw tomatoes, after all, I expect one day to meet them. What would Brigham say about my dragging his name through the mud?

If I ever have doubts (which is never), I simply read the Book of Mormon again. It is the keystone of our religion. It will bring us closer to Christ than any other book on earth. That is the entire point of the book and of our religion. It may not tell you why polygamy was practiced (though Jacob does touch on it) or why so many other things were done. History is plagued with such things such as why did Abraham offer up Isaac as a sacrifice? Why did Solomon have so many wives? Whatever individuals do is between them and God. Ultimately, if you truly lack wisdom, why not connect with the Lord yourself? Ask Him. He will not upbraid. We have been taught how to ask, seek and knock. The Lord does open! :)

Edited by skalenfehl