RS activity ideas...HELP!

LilyBelle00

I haven't posted anything in a very long time. I'm surprised I remembered my login information!

Anyway, I had a calling in Primary Presidency and I hated it.... now I have a new calling in RS Presidency and I hate it just as much. I'm starting to think the problem is ME. It's really hard to go from being inactive for over 10 years to suddenly being in the Presidency of anything. Especially having been inactive during pretty much all of my "adult" life before now. I feel like I just want to go and enjoy church and learn but instead I'm suddenly "in charge" of things I know NOTHING about!

It's because we are a very, very small branch so it's slim pickings when it comes to callings.

So anyway, I'm in charge of the RS monthly enrichment activities. Yay. It wouldn't be so bad if we had more members...and younger. I'm 31 and I'm the youngest one in RS by a good 40 years. Seriously. Anything that I'm interested in (family, children, strengthening marriage) doesn't pertain to anyone else there. Everyone is widowed/never married, most live alone.... I'm clueless.

Any ideas for activities that I can plan that they might enjoy?

Have you asked them what they would like?

Off the top of my head:

- book group,

- ladies who lunch (can just be potluck at various homes or the park, etc),

- knitting circle (or quilting, etc) - this can be a 'we make and donate' kind of thing,

- family history (everything from research to writing your own - journal jars, etc)

- cardmaking 

- flower arranging

Some of the above would be more of a 'regular' monthly meetup but maybe they need more reasons to get out / get together.

And for what it's worth - when I have callings that are more challenging, I picture another chandelier, bigger garden or nice sized addition, etc for my future mansion! :)

Edited by notquiteperfect

My aunt was a volunteer coordinator at a large hospital.  If there is a hospital or senior home in your town, you could call the volunteer office and tell them you have a group that could do something specific every month.  Get a list of options (believe me, some are much better than others) and let your group vote on anything that appeals to them.  My aunt worked with several local church groups that did once-a-month things.  For hospitals the groups would volunteer to do a whole 2-hour shift for some worthwhile activity, but I used to belong to a group that went into a nursing home (for people who were paralyzed from gunshot wounds) once a month to host a game night.  IMHO, activities that enrich others will enrich you the most.  But be sensitive to sisters who might be disturbed in hospitals or nursing homes.  The SPCA is another possibility... the SPCA in my former town was always looking for volunteers for cat behaviour therapy.  (They had a lot of feral cats who were easily spooked by humans, and it tooks weeks or months of loving care to make them sociable enough for adoption.)

If that's too much for sisters in their 70s and 80s, knitting and quilting are a good idea.  If nobody knows how, so much the better... spend the first 6 months learning! 

Thanks for the suggestions. I should mention that this is a very small group also with only maybe 4-5 women coming to the monthly meetings out of the maybe 8-10 active churchgoing ladies.

I'm thinking that for the first meeting I'll do something easy and then maybe start asking what they are interested in and what skills they can teach... Unfortunately, most of these women are not active. Usually when I ask a question or try to talk to them all I get are blank smiles and nods.