Female Chaplains in the Church

Silhouette

No, but a Chaplain doesn't hold the Priesthood. A Chaplain is a spiritual advisor and councillor. I don't see any problems with this. 

As an example: A Bishop has pastoral responsibilities, the Ward Clerk does not. Both are Priests. Pastoral responsibilities are separate to the Priesthood.

The Priesthood implies authority given by God. A Chaplaincy is authority granted by Man. Both involve spiritual wellbeing. Different sources.

I don't know if it's true or not, but if it is, I see no disconnect.

No, but a Chaplain doesn't hold the Priesthood. A Chaplain is a spiritual advisor and councillor. I don't see any problems with this.

As an example: A Bishop has pastoral responsibilities, the Ward Clerk does not. Both are Priests. Pastoral responsibilities are separate to the Priesthood.

The Priesthood implies authority given by God. A Chaplaincy is authority granted by Man. Both involve spiritual wellbeing. Different sources.

I always thought of a chaplain as being an ordained minister, or preacher. I didn't think women held such positions in our faith. I mean, sure women hold teaching positions and leadership positions, but always under the stewardship of the Priesthood. I guess what bothers me is that this isn't a calling, and it seems like a rogue thing to do. They aren't set apart, as far as I can tell, and they must be "fluent" in all faiths. This seems contrary to Gospel teachings to me. I guess it feels to me as if the Church is now ordaining women to be pulpit pounders, like the preachers that other faiths have. I'm sure I'm not expressing myself very well here. I'm a woman who is happy and content with womens' roll in our faith, and this seems to me to be far overstepping the female roll in the Gospel.

It seems like a conflict of interest.

Edited by Silhouette

I wonder if this is different for military chaplains.

According to lds.org it states:

Note: When deployed to areas of the world where the Church is not established, chaplains will operate under the direction of Area Presidents to establish service member groups, call and set apart group leaders, give priesthood blessings, and support the group leaders and members as needed.

Female chaplains certainly wouldn't have the authority to set apart group leaders and give priesthood blessings.

Guest LiterateParakeet

For a little while my son thought about becoming a military chaplain.  As we explored that possibility with him, I remember thinking "how cool, I wish I could do this"...except that I have no desire to join the military as a woman.  

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that Chaplains teach a non-denominational service, and do pastoral counseling.  That is what appeals to me.  Of course, at this stage of my life, I have no intentions of going back to school or making any major career changes, I just think the possibility of it is cool.

To be very clear...I'm a woman and I have no desire to hold the Priesthood.  That is not what this is about for me.  I like the idea of being a chaplain because they get to preach and counsel...those are the parts I would love!!!  

Guest LiterateParakeet

I always thought of a chaplain as being an ordained minister, or preacher. I didn't think women held such positions in our faith. I mean, sure women hold teaching positions and leadership positions, but always under the stewardship of the Priesthood. I guess what bothers me is that this isn't a calling, and it seems like a rogue thing to do. They aren't set apart, as far as I can tell, and they must be "fluent" in all faiths. This seems contrary to Gospel teachings to me. I guess it feels to me as if the Church is now ordaining women to be pulpit pounders, like the preachers that other faiths have. I'm sure I'm not expressing myself very well here. I'm a woman who is happy and content with womens' roll in our faith, and this seems to me to be far overstepping the female roll in the Gospel.

It seems like a conflict of interest.

I don't know if this will help....just know I am trying to help, not argue...I think that these are specialized situations, like for example the military.  In the case of military chaplain, that is a career.  I think it would be cool if I could talk to people about Christ "full-time".  :)  

I think being "fluent" in all faiths would only deepen my commitment to Christ...what a blessing!  And also make me appreciate the blessings I have through the gospel at the same time.  I think other faiths have some wonderful things to share if we would only listen.

"Pulpit pounder" is a little off putting, but I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.  I have heard some really spiritual, and thought provoking sermons from people in other faiths.  Though we have our differences, I think it is good to remember our common goal...and that is to preach of Christ.  

I don't think this will ever become a "mainstream" thing for LDS women, I just like that it is a possibility for the few that are called in that direction.  I don't mean "called' in the traditional sense, but remember in the article the woman quoted Elder Holland as telling her, "You are right where we need you."  Some callings don't come directly from the Bishop or Stake President.  :)

Guest LiterateParakeet

I wonder if this is different for military chaplains.

According to lds.org it states:

Note: When deployed to areas of the world where the Church is not established, chaplains will operate under the direction of Area Presidents to establish service member groups, call and set apart group leaders, give priesthood blessings, and support the group leaders and members as needed.

Female chaplains certainly wouldn't have the authority to set apart group leaders and give priesthood blessings.

My best guess/understanding is that an LDS military chaplain teaches non-denominational sermons on Sunday, is paid for it as a job, and is not called by the church to do so....however, when deployed to areas of the world where the Church is not established...they may also be officially "called" by the church...much like a Branch President.   I agree female chaplains would not do that...but they could do the former, i.e. get paid to teach non-denominational sermons to bring people to Christ.

Odd. but probably because its not very common. I don't see anything technically wrong with it. a chaplain isn't a priesthood position.

Altho if it does become more common i imagine the leader instructional handbook may have to be updated slightly if anyone  is concerned about legalese.

Edited by Blackmarch

It may be that LDS chaplains are not "called" in the LDS sense...However, they must be endorsed.  That is, they cannot simply apply, of their own accord, without approval from church authority.  It's true for all chaplains that work in government-sponsored roles--the agencies want documentation that the candidate's faith-endorser does indeed endorse them.

I served in the Air Force in the 1980s, and I was very happy we had chaplains.  I served on a big base (Andrews AFB outside of Washington DC, now called Joint Base Andrews), and we had several churches and a variety of service styles to pick from.  The Catholic masses were all very similar, of course.  Protestant services were influenced by whatever chaplain led them.  A Lutheran chaplain might lead a generic Protestant service, but I never saw a Catholic chaplain conduct a Protestant service or vice versa.

It is true that all military chaplains must minister to a service member's specific faith without attempting to convert the service member.  There was some sort of stink when Baptist chaplains discovered that there were Wiccans in the military, and the Baptist chaplains were concerned that they'd have to participate in pagan rituals and witchcraft for horned gods.  But this was a tiny, tiny exception to a much more general rule: that chaplains of all faiths could unite and minister to all service members.  They filled a critical need.  I had several friends who were suicidal or witnessed drug abuse in the barracks.  If they didn't have the chaplains to confide in, really horrible things might have happened. 

And I think female chaplains would have special skills in ministering to women service members that male chaplains would not. 

If a worthy male member he does.

I *think* chaplains are more like, the people that come visit you at the hospital, or give you faith based counsel in the military, or faith based counsel at a university. I'm sort of the blind telling the blind what the color red is though so pay me no mind haha.

Guest LiterateParakeet

PrisonChaplain,  you are right, I mis-spoke. I agree with you that they need to be endorsed.  That is one of the things my son learned when he looked into it.  They also have to be married (at least for the military chaplain position my son was considering.

I guess I just need to wrap my mind around the concept. I guess I'm seeing it as if, say, a Relief Society President in our faith was to become an ordained minister in the Baptist faith or something, and preach a different doctrine than what we know.

No, not different doctrine, just the areas that we can agree on.  There are plenty of things we and other faiths agree on.  

There was a time when I was struggling and I started listening to podcasts from other Christian churches.  There was one in particular that I loved by a wonderful Presbyterian chaplain.  I listened to probably 10 or so of his sermons, and only in one do I remember disagreeing with him.  Best of all his messages were very Christ centered which was precisely what I needed at the time.  I would go to our church, hurting and starving spiritually and lessons on tithing and missionary work just didn't help....then I would listen to Pastor Hess and feel closer to the Savior.  I'm not being critical of our church (though I do wish we (the members) would make our talks more Christ centered...even a talk on tithing can be Christ-centered if you try.  

Anyway, the point is, if you look for it there is much we have in common with other faiths.  So an LDS chaplain could easily focus on those things.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

PrisonChaplain, you are right, I mis-spoke. I agree with you that they need to be endorsed. That is one of the things my son learned when he looked into it. They also have to be married (at least for the military chaplain position my son was considering.

No, not different doctrine, just the areas that we can agree on. There are plenty of things we and other faiths agree on.

There was a time when I was struggling and I started listening to podcasts from other Christian churches. There was one in particular that I loved by a wonderful Presbyterian chaplain. I listened to probably 10 or so of his sermons, and only in one do I remember disagreeing with him. Best of all his messages were very Christ centered which was precisely what I needed at the time. I would go to our church, hurting and starving spiritually and lessons on tithing and missionary work just didn't help....then I would listen to Pastor Hess and feel closer to the Savior. I'm not being critical of our church (though I do wish we (the members) would make our talks more Christ centered...even a talk on tithing can be Christ-centered if you try.

Anyway, the point is, if you look for it there is much we have in common with other faiths. So an LDS chaplain could easily focus on those things.

This is true. It's clear that I need to think about this concept in different terms than I have been. I guess my problem is that I don't like change and new ideas that are different from the way I've always felt things "ought" to be. I must work on changing that to some degree.