Smithmas

mdfxdb

I have to admit, I do think it a bit odd to celebrate a prophets birthday.

I celebrate Heber J. Grant's birthday every year.

Martin Luther King day I always post something on facebook, maybe I'll start posting a Joseph Smith quote on the 23rd and that'll be my honorary.

That's about the extent of my celebration of Joseph Smith's birthday.  I "celebrate" it, in that I remember that it's his day of birth, I'm grateful for him, and that's about it.  I know about three other people with birthdays that day, though, also.

What's wrong with celebrating his birthday? We haven't been doing it but I don't see anything wrong with it.  It doesn't mean we worship him.  It doesn't mean his birth is anywhere near as important as Christ's birth.

I guess since it is two days before Christmas, we should probably make it especially low-key if we did celebrate it, because we don't want to take anything away from Christmas.  But that's all I can see that would be wrong with celebrating it.

We would still celebrate our own or someone in our family's birthday if it's on Dec 23, so what's wrong with celebrating Brother Joseph's?

To those against it, I'm curious if you are also uncomfortable with the hymn "Praise to the Man"?

Not really wanting to debate or cause controversy- but I don't understand the need to hold back our admiration and respect for the prophet of the last dispensation.

It would be odd and weird for me to celebrate his birthday, and yes I have a problem with "praise to the man"

I hope you guys don't wear green in March 17, just to stay consistent.

That's different. That's a traditional holiday that has long lost real meaning in our culture plus my daughter's birthday.

Remembering someone on their birthday is one thing. Having a huge party is... weird. What happens if it becomes a regular thing blown out of proportion?

That's different. That's a traditional holiday that has long lost real meaning in our culture plus my daughter's birthday.

Remembering someone on their birthday is one thing. Having a huge party is... weird. What happens if it becomes a regular thing blown out of proportion?

Sounds like an undemonstrative slippery slope to me.

Sounds like an undemonstrative slippery slope to me.

How? Are we worried about holiday celebration becoming worship? Seems that most people worry about just the opposite (at least for religious holidays). But the fact of the matter is that celebrating something and worshiping it are very, very different.

Celebrate the stink out of Joseph's birthday if one wants to. Why not?

Slippery slope to praying to Joseph Smith? Uh...I don't think so.

What's wrong with celebrating his birthday? We haven't been doing it but I don't see anything wrong with it.  It doesn't mean we worship him.  It doesn't mean his birth is anywhere near as important as Christ's birth.

I guess since it is two days before Christmas, we should probably make it especially low-key if we did celebrate it, because we don't want to take anything away from Christmas.  But that's all I can see that would be wrong with celebrating it.

We would still celebrate our own or someone in our family's birthday if it's on Dec 23, so what's wrong with celebrating Brother Joseph's?

To those against it, I'm curious if you are also uncomfortable with the hymn "Praise to the Man"?

Not really wanting to debate or cause controversy- but I don't understand the need to hold back our admiration and respect for the prophet of the last dispensation.

Why don't we include Ave Maria in our hymn books? 

we exclude this and many other beautiful traditional hymns, but some how "praise to the man" is OK?

Why don't we include Ave Maria in our hymn books? 

we exclude this and many other beautiful traditional hymns, but some how "praise to the man" is OK?

we don't have a lot of hymns because we respect the wishes of various churches... that and to avoid potential lawsuits and court actions.