Official church produced video on Temple garments and robes

skippy740

www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/temple-garments

I never thought such a video would be "necessary"... but I think it must have a purpose for google searches.  It is a well-produced video inspiring respect for all religious customs and ceremonies.

Yes, it is very nice video.  Wearing a special garment is hardly an unusual thing when compared with other religious rituals like circumcision.

But it raises a delicate question that I hope can be discussed here.  The garment is not supposed to be exposed or shown to people who would not understand its significance.  I've known Mormon men who don't wear the garment when they go to health clubs or gyms because they don't want to show it to non-LDS men in the locker room.  When I entered basic training in the military, the first question the drill sergeant asked in the barracks was, "Are there any Mormons here?" because the garment would conflict with regulation underclothing, and certain compromises and adjustments could be made (if I recall correctly).

But I see a lot of Mormon men with the so-called "eternal smile" under their white shirts.  There are even photos of Mitt Romney on the Internet with the garment clearly visible.  Is there any formal or informal policy about wearing clothing that fails to conceal the garment?

The temple recommend interview question:

13 If you have previously received your temple endowment:

Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple?
Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?

I've always been taught that you are not to alter your wearing of the garment in any way to conform to your outer clothing choices, as the garment encourages modesty.

I love it. It's nice how the church explained it so well to everyone. I get asked questions about them all the time.

That's interesting. I find that most of the non-Mormons I know are completely unaware of their existence. And the ones that are aware, have never asked me a thing. The only time anyone has ever said anything was a nurse in the ER. She saw my garments (of course) while helping me change into a gown and asked if I was Mormon. She had heard about garments from her sister who married a Mormon and wondered if that was what she was seeing.

... but I think it must have a purpose for google searches.

Personally, I think it probably has little to do with that.  The Church is already pretty well entrenched in the SEO game.  I think it has more to do with the idea that people are talking about garments and other "mysterious" aspects of the Church, and the Church has finally figured out that they might as well join the conversation with accurate and official information.  We've gained a fair amount of transparency (in some areas, though not in others) under President Monson's leadership, as well as community/publicity outreach.

That's interesting. I find that most of the non-Mormons I know are completely unaware of their existence. And the ones that are aware, have never asked me a thing. The only time anyone has ever said anything was a nurse in the ER. She saw my garments (of course) while helping me change into a gown and asked if I was Mormon. She had heard about garments from her sister who married a Mormon and wondered if that was what she was seeing.

Basic religious observances and preferences might sometimes also be part of sensitivity training for medical staff, and particularly important for those working in emergency departments.

Basic religious observances and preferences might sometimes also be part of sensitivity training for medical staff, and particularly important for those working in emergency departments.

Perhaps. But in this particular instance, the nurse was quite specific about where her knowledge came from.

I converted from Judaism. I had much exposure to the health care industry from both inside the profession and outside, and in a variety of settings. Rarely did I encounter anyone who had the slightest clue about even the basics of Judaism. And I do mean basic. And "sensitivity"? That seemed more connected to personality than training. I hope things continue to improve.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Yes, it is very nice video.  Wearing a special garment is hardly an unusual thing when compared with other religious rituals like circumcision.

But it raises a delicate question that I hope can be discussed here.  The garment is not supposed to be exposed or shown to people who would not understand its significance.  I've known Mormon men who don't wear the garment when they go to health clubs or gyms because they don't want to show it to non-LDS men in the locker room.  When I entered basic training in the military, the first question the drill sergeant asked in the barracks was, "Are there any Mormons here?" because the garment would conflict with regulation underclothing, and certain compromises and adjustments could be made (if I recall correctly).

But I see a lot of Mormon men with the so-called "eternal smile" under their white shirts.  There are even photos of Mitt Romney on the Internet with the garment clearly visible.  Is there any formal or informal policy about wearing clothing that fails to conceal the garment?

I don't know if I can fully answer your question, but I will give it my best shot.  :)

I know there are garments specifically made for the military now.  That may not have been the case when you were in...but they have them now and they are green.  :)

I think the locker room issue is more specifically about not casting your pearls before swine.  In other words changing in front of guys that might mock.  If I remember correctly, Steve Young didn't wear his garments while playing football because he didn't want his team mates making light of them and saying things like, "What? Your underwear didn't protect you from that sac?" 

The issue about Mitt Romney is different though...I mean if you mean when a man wears a white shirt you can clearly see the outlines of the garment underneath.  I think that is ok, in fact I don't see anyway you could avoid it accept to not wear white.  :) I mean you could chose to wear a garment top with a higher neck line (men's tops have the option of two different neck lines) If you chose the higher neckline it would be less noticeable that you aren't wearing a common t-shirt.  And while that might seem like the prudent thing to do, I can see how a man could easily forget.  He might get out of bed, grab some clean garments, take a shower and get dressed and only later realize he put on the garment top with the lower neck line.  Oops.  Oh well.  

And especially now with this video (which I think is great) then either neck line would be fine.  What would be clearly the wrong was to wear the garment is the wear a  tank top and adjust your garments to they don't show...that would be an issue.  

Hope that helps.  :)

Guest MormonGator

One thing that's nice about this video: So many anti-LDS people wrongly accuse the church of being "secretive". This sort of shows that we have nothing to hide, we're proud, and here we are. 

Personally, I think it probably has little to do with that.  The Church is already pretty well entrenched in the SEO game.  I think it has more to do with the idea that people are talking about garments and other "mysterious" aspects of the Church, and the Church has finally figured out that they might as well join the conversation with accurate and official information.  We've gained a fair amount of transparency (in some areas, though not in others) under President Monson's leadership, as well as community/publicity outreach.

Not sure I totally agree that it has little to do with it.  Working for an organization that has close ties to the church departments, I think the church has a long way to go for SEO practices etc.  I think it's a great way for google searches.  The hope is to get things like this in the top 5 of google searches to start wiping out the sites that don't provide accurate information or are anti.  

• 2 months later...

I mean you could chose to wear a garment top with a higher neck line (men's tops have the option of two different neck lines) If you chose the higher neckline it would be less noticeable that you aren't wearing a common t-shirt.

Actually, regular men's undershirts are available in a fairly wide range of necklines too.  Long before I joined the Church, I had at least four styles for a job where it was pretty handy to have an extra layer of clothing.  I had regular (round) necklines at what would be the "standard T shirt" level, some that were athletic collar - basically the same, but lower cut so as not to show with an unbuttoned collar, (basically a tank top but with sleeves) and v-necks in both a close fit (point right at the top of the sternum) and a lower v.