What if you pray sincerely for something, receive it and then change your mind?

carlimac

Does the Lord take back blessings you really don't want afterall?  

Awhile back I prayed for something I thought was the best thing for my family. Now it looks like that blessing is going to come to pass.  But in the mean time I've realized the timing of this blessing is making it a sorrowful burden as well as a blessing. 

Have you ever prayed to the Lord to take away a really great opportunity that would be a blessing and a curse at the same time?

:huh:

This isn't intended to be snarky, so please don't take it that way . . . but situations like that are why I tend to include a healthy dose of "thy will be done" regardless of what I'm praying for.  The "Samuel Principle" is a real thing. 

Goodness.  Your experience with your troublesome prayer reminds me of a recent dilemma I had with Amazon.  I ordered something nice, but after it came I saw some drawbacks that made me think hard about sending it back. 

I don't think prayer follows the Amazon model, but I've certainly known people who treat prayer with all the solemnity of ordering a pizza.  I think FP has got it right.  Prayer changes us and makes us see things that can illuminate decisions.  In some cases, I think God does intervene in human affairs.  But answered prayers don't come with a bright "Returns are easy!" sticker.

If I were you, I'd pray for the wisdom and strength to move forward from your current location regardless of any buyer's remorse you're feeling now.

Awhile back I prayed for something I thought was the best thing for my family. Now it looks like that blessing is going to come to pass. But in the mean time I've realized the timing of this blessing is making it a sorrowful burden as well as a blessing.

Have you ever prayed to the Lord to take away a really great opportunity that would be a blessing and a curse at the same time?

All change creates stress of some type. I would just trust in his judgement and timing, and not "lean unto thine own understanding" (hope I quoted it correctly).

So I pray for the winning lottery numbers, and I actively play the state lottery. Lets say I win. Did God answer my prayers? Or did I get lucky and chose the correct numbers?

What if I need a new job, and I pray for the Lords guidance and help in getting one. I dust off the resume and hit the streets. In a couple of weeks I get a job offer.

Were my prayers answered? Or did my hard work pay off?

When does "he" step in?

So I pray for the winning lottery numbers, and I actively play the state lottery. Lets say I win. Did God answer my prayers? Or did I get lucky and chose the correct numbers?

What if I need a new job, and I pray for the Lords guidance and help in getting one. I dust off the resume and hit the streets. In a couple of weeks I get a job offer.

Were my prayers answered? Or did my hard work pay off?

When does "he" step in?

Good question. I'm always wondering the answer to this one.   I suppose a drug addict could pray to find a distributer because if he doesn't get a fix he's going to die. So he finds one. Did God answer his prayer?  

Our life situation isn't quite that dark, by the way. But if we proceed, it will entail heartbreak and frustration, perhaps overshadowing the good that could come of it. 

I don't believe that God grants prayers just to spite us.  God grants prayers to lead us closer to the strait and narrow in the road to the tree of life.

Therefore, for any prayer that I got answered, I thank God for showing me the path to the strait and narrow... because, it is when my prayer is answered that He confirms, my will is on the same line as His.

So, if I start wussing out on the blessing, then I remind myself again - find that strait and narrow... stay close to it.

I don't believe that God grants prayers just to spite us.  God grants prayers to lead us closer to the strait and narrow in the road to the tree of life.

Therefore, for any prayer that I got answered, I thank God for showing me the path to the strait and narrow... because, it is when my prayer is answered that He confirms, my will is on the same line as His.

So, if I start wussing out on the blessing, then I remind myself again - find that strait and narrow... stay close to it.

What if I didn't think it through all the way before I asked for it? It was a rather impulsive request.  (I hope Heavenly Father is flexible and has a sense of humor.)

Often times I think the things we pray for have neutral ground for Heavenly Father and our Salvation. Sometimes we are provided with what we ask for, and take it or leave it do not matter in the grand scheme of things. That said, I would make sure that I am super appreciative of God's blessings. 

For example, I am waiting for my offer letter to move up at work. It is a huge leap. I always pray that I can take care of my family and part of that is financial. I have asked specifically for this before moving to TX. Now, it looks like I may have an opportunity. Now that it is here, I don't think I want it. If I reject it, I think it is one of those things that will not derail the train. But is simply another okay course to take in life. I feel okay about the position, just that I am scared. 

What if I didn't think it through all the way before I asked for it? It was a rather impulsive request.  (I hope Heavenly Father is flexible and has a sense of humor.)

You're under the impression that God didn't know that...  ;)

So, your only question is what God wants you to do with it...

Edited by anatess

• 4 weeks later...

Awhile back I prayed for something I thought was the best thing for my family. Now it looks like that blessing is going to come to pass.  But in the mean time I've realized the timing of this blessing is making it a sorrowful burden as well as a blessing. 

perhaps the old saying.. be careful for what you pray for is appropriate?