David Prisco From Philadelphia Pa, Is Looking For Some Help On Being A Guidance Counselor

davidprisco

Hey All!

Not all too long ago, I posted on this board looking for some help to better understand LDS. Everyone seemed to be very friendly so figured I'd come seek you all out for some different help. In a few weeks, if all goes well, I'll have completed my master's program in Psychology and I'm trying to figure out, in the state of Pa, if that would allow me to be a guidance counselor in a private school? I know that public schools requires certification but I can't figure out if that is the same for a private school. I've searched all over the state's website and I cannot find any mention of private schools. I also waited on hold for over 30 mins with the state trying to find out the answer only to be disconnected. Due to all of that, I've come to you in search of some information. 

Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.  I think private schools pretty much do their own thing.  Show you have the skills necessary and they can hire you.

I know that is true for being a teacher. In Pa, so long as you have a BA or BS in a related field, you can teach it. I'm not sure that's true though for being a school counselor. The main reason I'm asking is due to having a quasi job interview this coming Thursday at a private school. I'm not applying directly to be a school counselor but I would like to say that, should you hire me, I can also offer this skill at no extra cost. 

I know that is true for being a teacher. In Pa, so long as you have a BA or BS in a related field, you can teach it. I'm not sure that's true though for being a school counselor. The main reason I'm asking is due to having a quasi job interview this coming Thursday at a private school. I'm not applying directly to be a school counselor but I would like to say that, should you hire me, I can also offer this skill at no extra cost. 

I'd say you tell them you'd be comfortable doing it and see what they say.  If it's not legal, they won't let you, if it is, they'll be grateful to have one more resource. :)