Just So You Know

mirkwood

I was never a big fan of Halloween for a really long time.  But I had this baby idea rolling around in my brain for a Halloween family tradition and a few years ago we officially started with this idea.  We choose a theme for the Halloween.  We do this enough in advance that we can do some study and learning about the topic.  This gives our family an opportunity to learn something together, gain some cultural literacy and discuss what we are learning.  It also gives the opportunity to practice some crafting skills as we make our costumes.  This has really made my enjoyment of Halloween explode.  And I’ve come to realize that it really is what you make of the experience that matters.  But this is not the only thing that has increased my level of enjoyment.

I decided I wanted to know more about the origin and history of Halloween.  Last year we made that our topic of study.  I really wanted to come to a better understand of what Halloween is all about since I hear sometimes that it’s all about devil worship.  That’s not what I came away with at all in my study.  Our modern Halloween is kind of an amalgamation of harvest festivals and festivals surrounding the idea of death (death being an inevitable and, dare I say, important part of our mortal experience).  In that way it very much corresponds with the spring and Easter festivals surrounding the ideas of life and resurrection.  This understanding has also increased my enjoyment of it. 

We still don’t do any super scary stuff.  I have a daughter who is pretty sensitive to it.  So we stick with the fun stuff.  Anyway, there you have my lecture on why and how I’ve come to enjoy Halloween.  I’m glad I can now say that I love Halloween.

It's not so much the Halloween part I don't like... I love the tradition of what it was when I was a kid. But, now it's just to gory for me. I don't enjoy seeing blood, guts, and all the other stuff spilling out of someone. I do love seeing the little ones... or even big kids in fun, cute,non-bloody dress up stuff. I love seeing the creativity that some people have... that's awesome.

I did go to the park last night where they were having trunk or treat and everyone was dressed in fun stuff. I enjoyed that.

:D

I love all aspects of Halloween...from the cutesie little baby in a lady bug outfit to the creepiest stuff out there.  My exception is zombie baby stuff...don't like that.  Other then that, the creepier the better...you'd think we were the Addams Family.

Edited by mirkwood

The month of October is a big fund raiser for the Volunteer Fire Dept. my Hubby has been in for forty years. We have two houses and a outside maze. I help with the monsters . We have the crazies in the first house. We have the movie monsters in the back house and the maze is full of zombies. I do the make-up :) then I help the ladies in the concession that puts us in the right place to watch all the fun. LOLOL I do not go back into the houses and maze after I do my painting and help with the make-up. Nope, no way, no how....:) it is just too scary.

Funny story:

Five men go into the first house and come out running and laughing. Two of them sit on the ground. I asked them what they thought was scary. One of them confess that he dropped in the third room and crawled the rest of the way as fast as he could. He went through 6 rooms on his knees. :) I do not think his friends are going to let him forget this one... They then started talking about bringing their girlfriends back. I looked at the young man on the ground. I asked him was he coming back. He said no way she was worse then he was about these things. He would never get her out of there. She would drop and start screaming. lololol

I also remember when we had one girl come out of the house after her boyfriend made a fast exit. She came out the house saying over and over , "He just left me there!" One of our firemen caught up with him at the parking lot and reminded him that his girlfriend was still at the house and not to leave.

This is all done in fun and for a good cause. It is put on by the firemen, school groups, and members of the community.

I love all aspects of Halloween...from the cutesie little baby in a lady bug outfit to the creepiest stuff out there.  My exception is zombie baby stuff...don't like that.  Other then that, the creepier the better...you'd think we were the Addams Family.

my family was the adams family a few years back...