Scout troop advancement problems

paracaidista508

My scout troop cannot dig deep enough to find the time or put out the effort to submit an award for one of our scouts. Let me say that this is a significant award and there is no dispute it has been earned- just lazy leadership all around.

Anyway- cant seem to get anyone to do anything about it. Was going to just go to our stake level for remedy, but they are also impossible to deal with. I would like to just go direct to council and let them make the bombing runs and fix this entrenched apathy and indifference towards the boys.  Many other kids are disenfranchised here as their leaders are not dedicated to providing max opportunity to excell.

Anyone see going to the council as a good idea? ...or should I just go to the stake and let them fix this, bury it and ignore the rest of the problems?

This whole situation just makes me sick.

On the scouting side of things: Before speaking to the council you should speak to the unit committee. (Assuming there is one -_-' ) If there isn't a unit committe speak with the COR (Charter Organization Representative) before petitioning the council. If the scout troop is registered there must be a COR. (It might be the bishop, young mens president, etc...). You will want to talk with your local scouting district's, district executive from the council.

I personally would try petitioning, in this order for the redress of issues, Scout master, then young mens president, advancememt chair (part of unit committe, not all troops have an advancement chair), committe head, bishop, then stake, then council.

If it isn't time sensitive, and has not been too long patience with gentle reminders might work best. That doesn't sound like the case though.

There are also sometimes problems with awards if the troop wasn't registered. If this turns out to be the case you will need to speak to bishop, stake, and council. Bishop and stake to solve registration, council to find a way to properly get a boy an award if he worked on it.

I used to work in Scouts. Tech in ally I was in registration, but I still saw advancements. There were cases where Billy was up for his Eagle but proof of his other advancements were sitting in someone's glove box.

If you have the proof of advancement with the proper signatures, you could possibly take it in yourself. Maybe not your job, but it's a proactive solution.

Your district executive would be a great source to whip your troop leaders into shape (kind of the job) but I would approach the CoR first (probably the 2nd counselor in the bishopric). No use going over heads until you need to. Respect the leadership and work your way up the chain of command as needed.

Our troop has all the required admin positions staffed and operational----well at least there is a living, breathing person in each position. This has been going on for about a year now. It isn't time sensitive yet, but will be eventually.

The entire chain (SM, COR, Adv Chair, et al) is aware of this and has been since this time last year...some of them less (like last spring).

The issue is not whether the scout earned it or we are lacking documentation. Everything is done, just no one is actioning it despite being reassured time and again that they are. I am a former advance chair so I know how easy this is to do---difficult if you are lazy. Chronic problem here.

Don't really want to go to the stake because they have other troops in similar situation, but it isn't important enough to fix apparently. I will tell you though, our scouts can play a mean game of basketball.

Edited by paracaidista508

Backroads, how much can the district/council really do?  I mean, if the sponsoring org is bound and determined to have a crappy program--the council can yank the unit's charter status, I suppose; but can they go into the unit and force the officers to do their jobs?

Part of their job is training their units. I bet these guys recognize "advancements are important" but don't really get it. I'm not saying they need to come and babysit but organizing better reminders would be useful. No, the troop folks ultimately have responsibility but they may not have the right understanding.

Alternately, see if the Scout's parents are up for getting all squeaky wheel.

Squeeky wheel is the parent ....that would be me. I have my suspicions it is payback for raising cane at the stake level a few years ago about misplaced priorities and siezing of our ward scout funding for other projects.

I wasnt in this ward though so maybe not. Other scouts are getting their awards, but my kid seems to get passed by everytime. Over a year's worth of courts of honor now.

Probably will go council route so perhaps someone can audit all the mismanagement we have. I am beyond worrying about hurting the feelings of others.

Edited by paracaidista508

It's been a year?!

Seriously, just take the documentation into Council yourself. Get the awards straightened out there, then transfer your son into a non-LDS troop.

No one in non-LDS scout troops would put up with that kind of nonsense for a year. Neither should you.

There is the possibility of delayed advancement if the scout doesn't pass the scoutmasters conference or board of review. That is very rare though, and generally only happens when there is suspect of cheating requirements or problematic behavior. Of which there would be a dialog on how to proceed.  

Scouting is supposed to help boys grow.

If that isn't happening because of corrupt adults then transfer to another troop. Your boy can and should still participate in the young mens activities, but need not attend scouting activities since you found a troop else where due to these problems.

Edited by Crypto

Some LDS Troops treats scout troops as Sunday school because of church raising.  The LDS-BSA.org and other scout leaders are trying to change the mindset of "Sunday School" scout leaders. 

Try to lead by example and keep your head up.  Pray for guidance and keep on the leaders.

I had alot of the same issues, I don't know if this violates lds.net policy but I know a yahoo group called scouts-lds with a lot of lds scoutmasters who deals with these issues daily. 

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Scouts-LDS/info

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the DE. Says they are working it, but nearly two weeks later all I have heard is basically "we are working on it."

As for my kiddo going to a non-LDS troop. That will be a no-go, his friends are here and he has pretty much written off scouting.

I can tell you my days of helping with scouts or donating to scouts has effectively ended. Not necessarily because of this, but because no matter where we go, it is some form of disorganized mayhem and a general lack of interest, I would rather spend my time doing other things than to deal with leaders and parents who are basically disinterested 3rd parties.