GOP sweeps the nation.

I am so relieved that Charlie Crist lost in Florida!  That would have been DISASTER.  I like Rock Scott and I'm happy he got a 2nd term.

Harry Reid is finally whipped back to minority.

So yeah, let's see what the GOP does with the football.  I'm optimistic but if it's gonna be a McConnell/Boehner Congress... I'm not so sure anything substantial is gonna get done.

Republican winners include youngest female ever elected to Congress, first black Republican congresswomen (Mia Love), first female Senator from Iowa, first Black Senator to serve from the South since Reconstruction. 

I personally hope they completely lock this administration down. No discussion, no concessions. Nothing. 

My dream (and unfortunately I think it's just that) would be for the us to de-fund this war and weapons supplying to the evil raging in the middle east. Shore up this border and actually reform Healthcare..meaning reform the "reform". 

But I prefer nothing get done then to continue this march towards fascism. 

“Let this be a lesson to the nation that we’re not interested in dividing Americans based on gender, race, social status. We are more interested in the integrity and honesty of a candidate, someone who is going to return power back to the people and away from Washington.”

~ Mia Love

The awesome is strong with this one. 

I think I'm happiest when both houses of congress are on my side of the fence, and the president is on the other side of the fence.

I'm very much not happy when Pres and congress are all on the same team.  That doesn't go well, even when it's my side in charge.

I'd be happy if they did one thing.

Roll back ObamaCare!!

I'm sure other stories are similar but in the past 2 years since it's implementation my insurance premiums increased over 100%, my max out of pocket increased 71% and my coverage after deductibles went from 90% to 80%.

I'd take 5% increases in premiums over this nonsense. Thanks Obama!!! (blooming idiot).  

Edited by yjacket

I think I'm happiest when both houses of congress are on my side of the fence, and the president is on the other side of the fence.

I'm very much not happy when Pres and congress are all on the same team.  That doesn't go well, even when it's my side in charge.

I think this is true. Some of the best conservative reforms of late took place during the Reagan years and the Clinton years. 

I am waiting to see my more liberal friends talk about diversity. Like Tim Scott, Mia Love, Susanna Martinez...

I hope Tim Scott and Mia Love can withstand the onslaught of racism unleashed by the Democrats. It's pretty sickening what I've read so far. 

Forgot this little diddy

NA-CD020_SAIRAB_G_20141007171142.jpg

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/11/04/west-virginia-elects-americas-youngest-state-lawmaker/

Republican....Youngest....Female

Republicans have the youngest state lawmaker and youngest federal lawmaker. Both female. 

This Republican  "war against women" has worked out pretty well for them. 

Guest Godless

My favorite analysis of the election came from Ben Casselman of FiveThirtyEight:

"So voters want a higher minimum wage, legal pot, abortion access and GOP representation. Ok then."

I am waiting to see my more liberal friends talk about diversity. Like Tim Scott, Mia Love, Susanna Martinez...

Well it depends.  In my own little area, between 2012-2014, a massive number of new republicans joined in, white, black, asian, young, old.  Probably one of the most diverse groups the local GOP has ever seen.  Unfortunately, they did just about everything possible to disparage, run-off, over-rule, and kick-out these new republicans.  Personally, there have only been a few times in my life that I have been treated so badly as what these local republican did.

My local republican office was in the middle of a very diverse county, in 2013 they moved the offices from the center of the county to the most northern portion of the county away from most of the new blood, away from diversity and basically retreated into the whitest old republican neighborhoods in the county.

I hope what I saw was not indicative of all repub. parties because it was pretty despicable.  In local races we had young, diverse (woman, black, etc) republicans running for offices and the party did absolutely 0 to help out and were extremely gleeful when they lost.

I'm glad the repubs. won (it's better than the alternative), will it accompany real change . . . .lol hey I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya!

Pot got voted down in Florida.  Praise the Lord.

Very mis-informed.  And 57% voted for it, but it needed 60% to pass.  Medical marijuana is not smoked it is taken in a pill format just like the opiums that are given with regular pain meds . . . except it's not addiction forming-or at least no more so that the opiums for pain.  Marijuana and hemp (by the way) became illegal due to racism.  Paper was made from hemp and was extremely profitable as a commercial product with industrial uses.

As someone who has a person very near and dear to me who has battled cancer, I would much rather have them put on medical marijuana vs. narcotics to ease the pain of cancer.

Edited by yjacket

Very mis-informed.  And 57% voted for it, but it needed 60% to pass.  Medical marijuana is not smoked it is taken in a pill format just like the opiums that are given with regular pain meds . . . except it's not addiction forming-or at least no more so that the opiums for pain.  Marijuana and hemp (by the way) became illegal due to racism.  Paper was made from hemp and was extremely profitable as a commercial product with industrial uses.

As someone who has a person very near and dear to me who has battled cancer, I would much rather have them put on medical marijuana vs. narcotics to ease the pain of cancer.

I am very well informed, thank you very much.  Medicine don't go through ballot measures for legalization.  Charlotte's Web - a strain of marijuana has gone through the proper vetting process that drugs go through complete with test trials to determine it's risk-to-benefit.  It is legal in Florida for treatment of seizures.

I'll raise your cancer-stricken friend with my cancer-stricken father health-managed by my MD brother and tell you without a doubt - there are a jillion options for pain management both traditional and alternative.

And yes, I'm a holistic medicine enthusiast.

That bill, promoted by the greasy team of Morgan & Morgan, is a prime example of governing through emotion.  Forget proper government place in society and the proper exercise of a representative democracy... because, Morgan's brother's quality of life depend on a chocolate a day... boo hoo, cry cry... insults my intelligence, that!  You want to legalize marijuana for medical purposes go get a proper research done on the meds and apply to the FDA.  You want to legalize recreational marijuana like Marlboros and Johnny Walker, go pound on the door of the DEA.  Nobody voted to put marijuana on the DEA's list of illegal substances, you don't need a ballot measure to remove it, you need to plea your case to the proper representatives.

Personally, I don't care one bit about it.  I care that government is working as it should.

Edited by anatess

I have been watching the election returns with great interest.  It seems to me that the Democrats are like a massive iceberg with various constituencies frozen into place: unions, feminists, gays, blacks, Hispanics, etc.  But now that iceberg is floating into tropical waters and and large chunks are melting and breaking off.  California's 52nd congressional district is especially interesting: a gay Republican Italian-American (the first Italian-American elected to a San Diego office in 80 years) is clinging to a narrow lead.  Add Mia Love and Tim Scott and Susana Martinez and Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz and Joni Ernst and Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal... the GOP isn't a white man's party any more, as I think I mentioned in another thread.

As for the marijuana thing... I understand the value of marijuana as an appetite stimulant, but the stuff still scares me.  I know too many middle-aged hippies on the West Coast who smoked marijuana every day in their youth and now have trouble remembering their middle name. 

I am very well informed, thank you very much.  Medicine don't go through ballot measures for legalization.  Charlotte's Web - a strain of marijuana has gone through the proper vetting process that drugs go through complete with test trials to determine it's risk-to-benefit.  It is legal in Florida for treatment of seizures.

I'll raise your cancer-stricken friend with my cancer-stricken father health-managed by my MD brother and tell you without a doubt - there are a jillion options for pain management both traditional and alternative.

And yes, I'm a holistic medicine enthusiast.

That bill, promoted by the greasy team of Morgan & Morgan, is a prime example of governing through emotion.  Forget proper government place in society and the proper exercise of a representative democracy... because, Morgan's brother's quality of life depend on a chocolate a day... boo hoo, cry cry... insults my intelligence, that!  You want to legalize marijuana for medical purposes go get a proper research done on the meds and apply to the FDA.  You want to legalize recreational marijuana like Marlboros and Johnny Walker, go pound on the door of the DEA.  Nobody voted to put marijuana on the DEA's list of illegal substances, you don't need a ballot measure to remove it, you need to plea your case to the proper representatives.

Personally, I don't care one bit about it.  I care that government is working as it should.

Lol . .. okay talk about an emotionally overcharged illogical response.  Yes there are a lot of pain options . . . and your point is, what? I guess we should drive any model T as long as it comes in the color black, right? 

Well, you can just take your father-in-law and your MD doctor and shove it.  I almost lost my wife earlier this year and for about 2 months afterwards she was addicted to opiates, so yes I'd like to have a lot more options for pain that what some nobody on the internet claims is right for my family.  When one is talking about the serious pain meds, they are all bad, not one of them is "good" just different flavors of side-effects.  Oh but marijuana scares people b/c it must be sooooooo bad.

That's the problem with this country, some know-it-all who thinks they have all the answers wants to prevent me from deciding what is right for my family.  Until you've been to hell and back you've got no right.  So shove it.

Who are you and who gave you the God-given right to decide for me what medicines my wife and I decide we should take.

Oh wait for the children, right . . .give me a break.
Edited by yjacket

I'm looking for my references, but FYI Congress passed a law against marijuana in the 1930s (I believe) so it really doesn't have anything to do with the DEA or the FDA, it is part of a racist law that was passed.  I've read the congressional transcripts, they were basically pulling in mexicans interviewing them and saying the US would be overrun with "stoned" mexicans so we've got to get ride of them.  Before the 1930s it was never referred to as marijuana (the mexican name for it).  It was hemp, industrial hemp or cannibus.  The Constitution was written on hemp.  Right about the time the Federal law was passed the hemp industry was getting ready to take on the pulp industry to the woodshed.  But then the law passed putting a huge fine on manufacturing it and within a few years all the hemp growers (that made clothing, paper, textiles, etc) went out of business.

There are so many other countries in the world who have marijuana legal and you don't see people stoned all over the place, most countries have bigger issues with alcohol and smoking more than marijuana.

Marijuana being illegal has brought much evil to the US.  No-knock raids, most are marijuana drug busts, seizure of funds.  Did you know that the government can basically seize all the fund that you have, your bank accounts, cash on hand, etc. if they suspect you of drug involvement and not give it back even if not proven guilty.  The drug war is bad, bad news.

Edited by yjacket

Re marijuana:  If it's not addictive, then how come so many people are willing to go to jail rather than quit?  I do agree that search-and-seizure jurisprudence in this country has gone way too far in favor of government entities; but legalizing marijuana won't stop that.

More generally:  Ripping on President Obama has worked nicely for the GOP until now; but if they want those gains to be lasting they need to start de-emphasizing Obama personally and talk more about ideas.  (I think this is a big way that the Democrats have gone wrong--they've been coasting on Bush hatred for the last six years, and haven't been rigorously defending their own vision for America or the course they've charted to achieve that vision; and the voters are starting to notice.)

For example:  Republicans should quit talking about how Obama hung our boys out to dry in Benghazi, and talk more about how a stronger military and a clear sense of international purpose will make America sufficiently respected--or at least feared--to the point where international goons won't think they can get away with this kind of crap.  Rather than suggest that Obama himself green-lit the targeting of particular conservative activist groups, Republicans should point out that due to human nature such tomfoolery was inevitable in any system wielding the kind of power that the IRS now holds.  Rather than attack Obama as an incompetent manager, Republicans need to drive home the point that our bureaucracy is, in many ways, simply unmanageable.  Rather than suggest that Obama is singularly corrupt in giving plum contracts to well-connected firms, Republicans should ask why government needs to be handing out these contracts at all.  Instead of accusing Obama of plotting to bankrupt or nationalize lucrative private-sector industries or pack the electorate with welfare-state-loving voters from Latin America, Republicans should harp on the math--again and again and again--showing that there just aren't enough assets in the country to subsidize the kind of welfare state many Americans want while simultaneously maintaining a first-rate military force that will maintain (whether through deterrence or active intervention) a global environment in which international trade can flourish.

I think the President's speech today was a calculated effort to goad Republicans into alienating the electorate by continuing to fight against him personally rather than articulating ideas that, if adopted, could ultimately turn the country red.  It's a sucker's game, and I hope the Republicans have enough brains to avoid the trap--but somehow, I doubt it.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I want to see four major things happen:

1) A complete repeal of the Affordable Healthcare Act (Obamacare)

2) Major slashes in the Federal budget to bring it to levels where the National Deficit is increasing by feet rather than by miles

3) Major tax cuts to boost the economy

4) The discontinuation of the National Security Agency spying on the American public

There will need to be 66 votes in the Senate to repeal Obama's veto which he will certainly do. I do not expect anything to happen in two years until his term is over. At least Obama will likely be very limited in his agenda for the rest of his term.  Everything he seems to want is moving away from capitalism.

“Let this be a lesson to the nation that we’re not interested in dividing Americans based on gender, race, social status. We are more interested in the integrity and honesty of a candidate, someone who is going to return power back to the people and away from Washington.”

~ Mia Love

The awesome is strong with this one. 

I voted for her.