Looking for specific picture of the Savior...

cj4soccer

Okay this is a shot in the dark and probably will be unsuccessful...but...here it is:

Ever since my mission (California, San Bernardino, May 2001-2003) I have been trying to find a specfic picture of the Savior that I really liked.  Unfortunately, that was before the days of smartphones so I could not just snap a picture, and I have lost any reference to it, such as who painted it or what it was called.  All I remember was that it hung in one of the missionary houses in Rancho Cucamonga.  As I recall, it was mostly a chest/head shot of the Savior wearing a brown robe, and it was unique because I remember the first time I saw it, I thought he looked upset/mad/evil, like it was a picture of Lucifer almost.  Anyway, the painting grew on me, but I've never been able to track it down...I'm not even certain it was painted by an LDS artist, or that it was widely distributed. Like I said - shot in the dark.  If this rings a bell to anyone, or if you think you've seen a similar picture, I would appreciate a reply.  Thanks!

Okay this is a shot in the dark and probably will be unsuccessful...but...here it is:

(...)  All I remember was that it hung in one of the missionary houses in Rancho Cucamonga.  As I recall, it was mostly a chest/head shot of the Savior wearing a brown robe, and it was unique because I remember the first time I saw it, I thought he looked upset/mad/evil, like it was a picture of Lucifer almost.  Anyway, the painting grew on me, but I've never been able to track it down...I'm not even certain it was painted by an LDS artist, or that it was widely distributed.  ...

He looked upset / mad / evil like it was a picture of Lucifer almost, in a brown robe ...? I've tried to find an image like that. There are uncountable images that can be found in the www and many with Jesus wearing a brown robe, but I coudn't find one that shows him with a real evil or mad impression on his face the way you've tried to describe it. No match on any site (searching by Google "Jesus images" / "Jesus Bilder").

By the way... who will have an imagination or exactly know how Lucifer looks like? Isn't he eternally damned by God the Allmighty to be a ghost without a physical appearance?  And why should he appear with a devlish face when he is the tempter of mankind? But if it's not only a ghost haunting your mind why don't you visit that missionary house in Rancho Cucamonga again? Perhaps that picture hangs still there?

If you can't find piece in your mind (and there seems to be a reason why it's so important for you) then go back there and ask for that picture or try to find it again at that place. But for the sake of your mind and your faith - be careful. I don't know why but I have no good feeling with your mysterious concern. Be aware it might not be Jesus you would be looking for.

Edited by JimmiGerman

It's also possible the painting was done by a missionary or a local artist.  Which might make finding it more difficult.

...or even impossible. I would recommend him to go back there, for the peace of his mind, even if it's about ten years ago, and try to find that picture. Who knows, perhaps it still hangs there on the wall in that missionary house in Rancho Cucamonga, waiting, waiting...  :eek:

I don't recall ever seeing what you've described but there are a couple options for you to try - 

- a google search (as mentioned)

- get on the mission fb page and ask if someone's missionary is living at that address and can take a pict and/or jot down the info

Good luck!

Wait a minute...  you wish him good luck? He's searching a picture where Jesus looks upset, mad, and evil. And you recommend him to get on the mission fb and ask if someone's missionary is living at that address and can take a picture of some Jesus who looks like Lucifer? Okay - I'm not a menber of the church and perhaps it's not my business, but Isn't there something running out of the track...?  :lol: 

Wait a minute...  you wish him good luck? He's searching a picture where Jesus looks upset, mad, and evil. And you recommend him to get on the mission fb and ask if someone's missionary is living at that address and can take a picture of some Jesus who looks like Lucifer? Okay - I'm not a menber of the church and perhaps it's not my business, but Isn't there something running out of the track...?  :lol:

Yes, Jimmi, I wish him luck because whether or not this is something I would want, I know what it's like to not be able to find/track down something (quotes, books) that struck a chord with me.  Also, I'm choosing to think that there was just a poor choice of words on his part and am giving the benefit of the doubt (after all, it was something he saw in a missionary residence so how bad could it really be).

Edited by notquiteperfect

Is this it or similar enough (I just went with the brown robe reference)?  It's the best google had and keep in mind that images can be 'trimmed' so you may have just seen a head shot when there's actually more to it.  I'll also say that things aren't always how we remember them.  Hope this helps.

medium_135556525.jpg

Edited by notquiteperfect

I tried to post some pictures - but it won't let me. Go to lds.org online store. http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/AjaxCatalogSearchResultView?storeId=715839595&catalogId=10557&langId=-1&itemsPerPage=10&pageIndex=0&searchTerm=pictures+of+jesus+christ&submit=  Is the picture you are looking for there?

Or you could google : Images of Jesus Christ. http://www.divinerevelations.info/documents/jesus_pictures/jesus_christ_pictures.htm

Edited by Iggy

Is this it or similar enough (I just went with the brown robe reference)?  It's the best google had and keep in mind that images can be 'trimmed' so you may have just seen a head shot when there's actually more to it.  I'll also say that things aren't always how we remember them.  Hope this helps.

medium_135556525.jpg

Yes, Jimmi, I wish him luck because whether or not this is something I would want, I know what it's like to not be able to find/track down something (quotes, books) that struck a chord with me.  Also, I'm choosing to think that there was just a poor choice of words on his part and am giving the benefit of the doubt (after all, it was something he saw in a missionary residence so how bad could it really be).

Okay - I can see the point. But on the picture you've chosen Jesus definetly doesn't have a mad or evil expression in his face.  Maybe there was a poor choice of words on his part, but mad and evil seem to me as rather clear words and less only a poor choice. As mentioned, I've searched for a similar picture in the internet, too, and there are many with brown robes. I think I've also seen the one you've chosen and quite similar ones, but they certainly didn't appear evil or mad to me. 

"It's the best google had and keep in mind that images can be 'trimmed' so you may have just seen a head shot when here's actually more to it." -- but even then it wouldn't have an evil expression.

"I'll also say that things aren't always how we remember them." -- All right, that's true (in general), but in this case I think his recall is correct because he described his first impression when he saw the picture in the missionary house. He's not only talking about the picture itself and how he remembers it, but also about his first impression in the missionary house in that town with a name (Rancho Cucamonga) that makes me freeze, even if it's located in sunny and lucky California, where the Terminator once has maintained law and order when he was the governor.  :D

Edited by JimmiGerman

By the way, isn't there any police detective or FBI profiler here who could help us with the search? Are there some strange occurences (like pictures of persons changing into evil expressions or signs like that) or unsettled  cases ( :eek: -freeze-) there in Rancho Cucamonga ( :eek: -freeze-)  that have been reported or stroke the town?

The Vatican says, there are places in the world at which the evil concentrates! (For example and quite officially in Mexico, and California once belonged to Mexico...) Maybe we are after a big thing...

:eek: -freeze-

Edited by JimmiGerman

Come on, this is an official LDS image and you can find it in the standard editions of the BoM (like in the one I have). And he certainly knows it. Certainly no match.

What makes that painting an official LDS image?  That image isn't in any of the Book of Mormons that I have.  Perhaps because it was painted by Heinrich Hoffman who is from Germany that it is in yours.  Or maybe I just haven't seen any late editions that have this portrait in it.

What makes that painting an official LDS image?  That image isn't in any of the Book of Mormons that I have.  Perhaps because it was painted by Heinrich Hoffman who is from Germany that it is in yours.  Or maybe I just haven't seen any late editions that have this portrait in it.

I have several Books of Mormon, one German edition (one I gave away as a present for someone) and one English (American) edition from one Elder / missionary who came from Utah. It's the hardcover blue 30922, printed in the USA 05/2010, copyright by Intellectual Reserve, Inc., ISBN 978-1-59297-500-6 

At the biginning (first comes the introduction, then the testimonies, then a brief explanation, then a list of the contained illustrations, and then exactly this image (but not exactly the full size), followed by the image of Joseph Smith on the next side of the book and some other illustrations.

22800_62101000_p_348.jpg

I'm surprised that this image isn't in all the BoMs - I thought it was. It's my absolute favorite between all Jesus images I have seen. Yes, and you are right, it's from Heinrich Hofmann (only with one "f" btw., even if the name "Hoffmann" with "ff" is the more usual or common one in Germany) ...

Edited by JimmiGerman

I have several Books of Mormon, one German edition (one I gave away as a present for someone) and one English (American) edition from one Elder / missionary who came from Utah. It's the hardcover blue 30922, printed in the USA 05/2010, copyright by Intellectual Reserve, Inc., ISBN 978-1-59297-500-6 

(...)

@ pam: could you find this edition? (it's a bit smaller sized than the usual size, in comparison to my German edition). As mentioned, I got it from a missionary approx. two years ago who came from the US (I think it was Utah). And in the standard editions in German Hofmann's painting (The Lord Jesus Christ) is also to be found.

Edited by JimmiGerman