Michael Brown's Parents Set to Speak at the United Nations

srmaher

The Associated Press reported last week that “the parents of Ferguson police shooting victim Michael Brown are headed to Switzerland next week to speak at a United Nations human rights conference.”

Is anyone else scratching their head about this? Why on earth is the UN inviting the Brown’s to speak at such an important conference when there is ZERO evidence that any human rights have been violated?  The AP continues;

“Michael Brown Sr. and Lesley McSpadden are scheduled to address the 53rd Session of the United Nations Committee Against Torture in Geneva on Nov. 12 and 13.

“The trip comes as a St. Louis County grand jury prepares to conclude its inquiry into the Aug. 9 shooting death of Brown by Ferguson officer Darren Wilson.”

It can’t be overstated enough that as of today, no one has all the facts to make any certain conclusions about this case. For the UN to invite the Brown’s to speak at a conference dealing with such an important topic, only serves to diminish the true meaning of human rights violations and torture. I think it’s important to point out that I am not critical of the Brown family, but only to show how morally inept the UN has become.

It’s bad enough that the UN has given credibility to the claim that Michael Brown’s human rights had been violated, even though no one knows for certain what happened.  It’s even worse that they will allow it to be discussed at a conference where real human rights have actually been violated.

I continue to be amazed at the lefts love of the United Nations. I think it’s because they love the idea of having a world United in peace, a world where no country is better than any other, in short, a world where equality exists.  As a result of this mind set, they become incapable of making moral distinctions, as in the case of lumping together what they think happened in Ferguson Mo, and what is happening in the places like, North Korea, China, the Middle East and Africa.

Guest MormonGator

Perhaps it would best to let the poor kid rest in peace and be quiet for a bit.  It's such a controversial issue and both sides are still passionate about it. Why fan the fire? 

Edited by MormonGator

Perhaps it would best to let the poor kid rest in peace and be quiet for a bit.  It's such a controversial issue and both sides are still passionate about it. Why fan the fire?

I live in the St Louis area and hear about it everyday.......articles...news stories...I feel the media has fanned the fire. The thug friend that was with him stirred a lot of this up from the start..... And the media took off with it.

Guest MormonGator

I live in the St Louis area and hear about it everyday.......articles...news stories...I feel the media has fanned the fire. The thug friend that was with him stirred a lot of this up from the start..... And the media took off with it.

I'm sorry you live so close to the area. I've been praying for peace there. Stay safe. 

Gator, I coudent agree more in terms of being sensitive to the family. But what makes it controversial? The media and those invested in racial division. The fact of the matter is, no one knows for sure what happened. We owe it to the officer, who has already been convicted in the court of public opinion to have his side of the story heard. Are you aware that there are black witnesses who want their identity conceled because they fear for their life. This resembles something from the early 1900's, not 2014. The reason this matters Gator is that justice is the glue that holds societies together, and for the UN to lend credence to this case, where none is deserved as of yet because its hasn't worked its way through the courts its an outrage. The UN and the Medias handling of this ought to deeply trouble you.

Guest MormonGator

. The UN and the Medias handling of this ought to deeply trouble you.

Oh it does. What does the UN have to do with this? 

As for the media? We could talk for hours about that one, and you are 100% correct. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

The Associated Press reported last week that “the parents of Ferguson police shooting victim Michael Brown are headed to Switzerland next week to speak at a United Nations human rights conference.”

Is anyone else scratching their head about this? Why on earth is the UN inviting the Brown’s to speak at such an important conference when there is ZERO evidence that any human rights have been violated?  

I'm not supporting the UN here (or the Left, or the Right--I don't care much for any of them)...I'll give you my best guess though as to why the Browns are taking this to the UN, and why I think the UN is willing to hear them.  

You say there is ZERO evidence that any human rights have been violated.  But not everyone shares your opinion.  According to an article (quoted below), the autopsy report condemns Officer Wilson.

If you listened to the media reports this past week, it would appear that evidence had come forward to exonerate Officer Darren Wilson in the death of teen Michael Brown in August. It began when the St. Louis Dispatch ran an article titled “Official autopsy shows Michael Brown had close-range wound to his hand, marijuana in system” and quickly propagated throughout the net. If you read it, or the articles based on it, the impression was that the coroner who handled the autopsy had found that Michael Brown had attempted to grab Officer Wilson’s gun, and in so doing the officer was justified in the use of force which resulted in Michael’s death. They even included quotes from a forensics expert, Dr, Judy Melinek, which appeared to indicate familiarity with the case, and justification of the teens untimely death.

Problem is, the autopsy report says nothing of the sort.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/10/26/ferguson-lies-again/

If this is true, would it be the first time the media has lied to us?  or 'spun a story'?  Not be a long shot.  If you read a negative story about Mitt Romney you would not trust the media without looking into it yourself, right?  

Another way to consider this...we always say, "If you want to know about Mormons, ask us.  Don't ask your Caholic neighbor or your Baptist priest.  Go to the source."  It is the same here.  If you really want to know why People of Color are upset about this case, you need to go directly to them.  I have and I can tell you what they (speaking generally and not individually) will say that unarmed young black men being shot by police is a big problem in America.   Young black men being harassed by police is a big problem in America.  If the UN is aware of this or "claims" of it, that would likely explain why they are looking in to it.  This isn't just about Michael Brown, his case is just the tip of a much larger iceberg.

This video is not about Michael Brown, but if you really want to go to the source and hear from a few Black people how they feel about this human rights issue, this video is a great start:

http://www.upworthy.com/a-mother-and-son-have-a-kitchen-conversation-no-parent-should-have-to-have-with-their-child?c=undefined

Edited by LiterateParakeet

This whole mess really makes me sad. 

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

After this country elected a black President I was sorely amiss thinking we had moved beyond race. I actually thought we had finally achieved Martin Luther Kings dream. Sadly this President, those who support him and his sycophants in the press, feel the best thing for their agenda is to ensure that this country remain as divided as possible and that people continue to look thru racial lenses.

My father served his mission in Brazil and I remember him discussing some of his experiences there with occasional visitors in hushed tones. I found out later that at the time my father served his mission the members in Brazil were experiencing a huge number of possessions. The missionaries were sharing their experiences and testimony of the power of the Priesthood in casting out evil spirits. The more the missionaries worked keep people clean the more it seemed to occur. I believe it was President Kimbal (Not the Prophet of the time) who went to investigate. He told the missionaries to stop talking about it and guess what...it went away. It all just stopped.

I think racism in our society is allot like that. Even with powerful examples of people of color, that easily make it to the pinnacle of power and wealth, the message being sent is that they are victims.  Our own President somehow manages to portray the victim despite doing everything he can to obstruct, ignore, and dehumanize his opposition on a level we haven't seen in our life time. 

I look at my kids and I at least have a hope, that if the populace can't wake up and identify and put a stop to the perpetrators of hate and division, than at some point we will breed away their racist cash cow...because race won't exist.

I suppose they will always have gender, at least they can count on that in all it's man made varieties. 

In the end these kids getting shot are criminals. At the same time I do think the Police are out of control. Another point of awareness that is common sense to me but perhaps lost to those blinded by their ideology, is that Police will respect the people as much as their current government respects the people. It's that simple. If our government actaully acted like it was "by and for" the people our Police would follow suite. Run away disrespectful government = run away disrespectful police.  Those who hold their hand out and bray for more and more government yet at the same time whine and demand less and less enforcement and intrusion are engaging in wishful thinking. 

Edited by Windseeker

Most of us live far from Ferguson, MO.  We don't have a community perspective.  So, we look at this through our lenses.  Many white people feel that we get blamed for what happens to minorities too much.  We wonder when the charges of racism will stop, when our children will cease to need higher scores to get into college, when they will apply for jobs and their skin color won't be a factor (we need more diversity), etc.  People of color wonder when their young (especially males) will cease to be looked at as dangerous, as probable criminals, as ones to be cautious around.  They wonder when police will cease to pull them over for DWB (Driving While Black).  They wonder why White Christians lack basic Christian empathy.  Then, when a verdict comes down, both sides feel vindicated.  The "winners" believe the system finally got it right.  The "losers" believe another example of their oppression has just been registered.  Whatever really happened that night is almost an irrelevant factor.

Guest LiterateParakeet

In the end these kids getting shot are criminals. At the same time I do think the Police are out of control. . 

I just want to address this one issue.  The problem is that all these young men getting shot are NOT criminals.  Look at this video-- a police officer pulls up behind a young black man at a gas station.  The young man gets out of his car, and the police officer asks him for his license.  When the black man reaches into the car to get it, the police officer panics and shoots him.  Thank heavens the young man survived.  The officer has been fired and is pending charges

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/25/video-white-police-officer-shoots-unarmed-black-motorist/.

This video (it's graphic, I couldn't finish it) shows 8 police officers surrounding a black mentally ill man and shooting him 45 times.  He was mentally ill--not a criminal.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/10/28/383912/us-police-shot-black-man-45-times/

Here's one of a young black man in Walmart.  He picked up a pellet gun (which Walmart sells) from a shelf, and someone panicked and called the police and they came and killed him.  

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/09/indictment-walmart-shooting-cops-surveillance-video-shows-killing-john-crawford/

Here's a news story about a young black man with a costume Japanese sword.  One of the officers says he spoke to them and asked them for a ride.  Some bystander took a picture of him smiling at the police.  But now that young man is dead.  The autopsy says he was shot 4 times in the back.  But the police say he was attacking them...with his sword (remember it wasn't a real sword.)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/29/utah-police-shooting/18102775/

In this last video a black family is pulled over.  The wife who is driving was not wearing her seat belt.  But the officers want to see the ID of the father who is the passenger.  Why?  Recently my daughter--with a Learner's Permit--was pulled over because of a tail light out.  Even though she only had a permit, the officer didn't ask me for my ID.  

The father of this family didn't have his ID with him (he wasn't driving), while he's reaching for something (his wallet maybe) they pull their weapons on him and ask him to get out of the car.  He afraid to--understandably--and asks them to call the "White Shirts" (on in other words supervisors) first.  Watch the video to see how that works out:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/watch-cops-smash-window-to-use-taser-on-passenger-during-seat-belt-traffic-stop/

My point is none of these men were criminals, and yet a couple are dead, one was shot and another was tazered.  

Guest MormonGator

I just want to address this one issue.  The problem is that all these young men getting shot are NOT criminals.  Look at this video-- a police officer pulls up behind a young black man at a gas station.  The young man gets out of his car, and the police officer asks him for his license.  When the black man reaches into the car to get it, the police officer panics and shoots him.  Thank heavens the young man survived.  The officer has been fired and is pending charges

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/25/video-white-police-officer-shoots-unarmed-black-motorist/.

This video (it's graphic, I couldn't finish it) shows 8 police officers surrounding a black mentally ill man and shooting him 45 times.  He was mentally ill--not a criminal.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/10/28/383912/us-police-shot-black-man-45-times/

Here's one of a young black man in Walmart.  He picked up a pellet gun (which Walmart sells) from a shelf, and someone panicked and called the police and they came and killed him.  

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/09/indictment-walmart-shooting-cops-surveillance-video-shows-killing-john-crawford/

Here's a news story about a young black man with a costume Japanese sword.  One of the officers says he spoke to them and asked them for a ride.  Some bystander took a picture of him smiling at the police.  But now that young man is dead.  The autopsy says he was shot 4 times in the back.  But the police say he was attacking them...with his sword (remember it wasn't a real sword.)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/29/utah-police-shooting/18102775/

In this last video a black family is pulled over.  The wife who is driving was not wearing her seat belt.  But the officers want to see the ID of the father who is the passenger.  Why?  Recently my daughter--with a Learner's Permit--was pulled over because of a tail light out.  Even though she only had a permit, the officer didn't ask me for my ID.  

The father of this family didn't have his ID with him (he wasn't driving), while he's reaching for something (his wallet maybe) they pull their weapons on him and ask him to get out of the car.  He afraid to--understandably--and asks them to call the "White Shirts" (on in other words supervisors) first.  Watch the video to see how that works out:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/watch-cops-smash-window-to-use-taser-on-passenger-during-seat-belt-traffic-stop/

My point is none of these men were criminals, and yet a couple are dead, one was shot and another was tazered.  

There is a troubling pattern here. I hate to bash police officers because of the stress they are often under, but this is disturbing. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

Thanks MormonGator.  I don't mean to bash police officers either.  I'm sure we have many fine police officers serving and protecting us, but we obviously have many with "power" and racism issues too.

The Doctrine and Covenants warns us about how some people react when they feel they have power.  I saw this when I worked in prison as a Correctional Officer.  The nicest people could turn into monsters when they put on that uniform.

Guest MormonGator

The Doctrine and Covenants warns us about how some people react when they feel they have power.  I saw this when I worked in prison as a Correctional Officer.  The nicest people could turn into monsters when they put on that uniform.

It reminds me of the  famous line about how power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Not saying I'm against authority, but we need to be careful who we trust with authority. 

Edited by MormonGator

Most of us live far from Ferguson, MO.  We don't have a community perspective.  So, we look at this through our lenses.  Many white people feel that we get blamed for what happens to minorities too much.  We wonder when the charges of racism will stop, when our children will cease to need higher scores to get into college, when they will apply for jobs and their skin color won't be a factor (we need more diversity), etc.  People of color wonder when their young (especially males) will cease to be looked at as dangerous, as probable criminals, as ones to be cautious around.  They wonder when police will cease to pull them over for DWB (Driving While Black).  They wonder why White Christians lack basic Christian empathy.  Then, when a verdict comes down, both sides feel vindicated.  The "winners" believe the system finally got it right.  The "losers" believe another example of their oppression has just been registered.  Whatever really happened that night is almost an irrelevant factor.

PC...I live about an hour from this area. We hear about it everyday from our local news and something is always in the newspapers. I am familiar with all the politicians involved. I agree with what you say. I wonder when people will start looking at themselves and in their homes. We are far from this because of the poor and broken families. It won't matter what the truth is because Bo sides are upset. The firefighters in my area are all on call the week this grand jury announces their decision. I am also sure most police officers will be as well. In the meantime the Brown Parents are flying around the world on somebodies dime.

It reminds me of the famous line about how power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Not saying I'm against authority, but we need to be careful who we trust with authority.

This is so true. I was arrested when I was about 21 because I went to my landlady's house to return the key to my place because I was moving. I knocked on her door, and I saw through the uncurtained window on her door that she picked up the phone. I waited patiently until she hung up. I waited about 10 more minutes and she still never came to the door. A police car pulled into the driveway while I was still waiting. When he came up he asked what I was doing. I told him that I was returning my key. The lady finally came to the door. I went to hand her my key, and requested our rent deposit back since we left the place nice and clean, just the way we rented it. She refused, saying we had left it a mess. I asked what was wrong with it. The officer asked me if I wanted to be taken to jail for disturbing the peace. I said of course not, I was just asking a legitimate question. He told me I was now under arrest and that I had "backtalked" him and the landlady.

I asked what the charges were. He told me to "Go get in the back of the police car!" I did so because I was frightened at that point.

He took me to the jailhouse and they took my picture and booked me in. The charges were disturbing the peace and "resisting arrest". Because I had asked what the charges were, that was "resisting arrest", even though I had gotten into the police car and shut the door to it myself!

At the station, he asked if I had any aliases. I said no. He asked if at any time during my life I had been called anything but Melanie (my given name). I said that well, some of my closest friends and family called me "Mel" sometimes. He put down "Mel" as my alias!

He then took me to the back where the cells were. The matron was very kind. I smiled at her. The officer asked me if I thought this was funny. I replied that I wasn't laughing. He yelled in my face and asked did I want to be put in the holding cell "with three prostitutes and a murderer".

Thank God the matron spoke up and said, "You are NOT going to put that child back there with those people!" She asked me if I would behave if she let me sit in the waiting area in front of her window. Of course I agreed. Time passed. She asked if I were hungry. She sent a jail trustee across the street to a store to bring me back something to eat. She paid for the food herself out of her own pocket.

My bail was set at $40.00. I called my husband who came and paid my bail, and I was finally allowed to go home. But not before the arresting officer told me I had better not cause him to be called ever again. Keep in mind that my hateful landlady had called the police without ever coming to the door first. I didn't "cause" anything.

I never got the deposit back, and the arrest stayed on my record for several years.

The clencher of all of this? I was pregnant at 7 months along. Very visibly. Disturbing the peace and resisting arrest. Right.

Edited by Silhouette

But Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin were. 

So yes, the police are absolutely out of control which is a Government problem since the Police force happens to be the stick that it uses to enforce laws and maintain order. "Police bad...Big BrotherGovernment good"...wait whu?  :estaloco:

Race is the argument that our Press and current administration want their useful idiots to mire in so they can't focus on the real issue here. (the correct answer is Tyranny...if you haven't been paying attention)

Guest MormonGator

Mike Brown was and is a criminal. Has a record and prior to his being shot he had just committed a strong arm robbery at a local store.

He was a criminal but did he deserve to die for it? No, of course not. 

The bigger question is was he wrestling with the police officer and trying to grab his gun? The evidence looks like he might have been doing that. Perhaps the police officer was justified in the use of deadly force if that was the case. 

Edited by MormonGator