survey on gender issues in the Church

mjobbrz

I just took the survey. It seems a little odd. I don't know who it is doing the survey really, and not much time to investigate it, but it appears to try to force someone to say something needs to change in the church. The group who created it has either an education in psychology or is full of psychologists. Some of the questions are just like poking a lion to have a response.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I agree with Backroads.  

Here is an interesting POV about why it would be a good idea to complete the survey and share it with others:

It has approval from several universities and may therefore get a great deal of attention. It is critical that women who understand LDS gender issues from God’s point of view complete the survey. This will help prevent misconceptions that could be passed along otherwise.

http://www.mormonwomenstand.com/mormon-gender-issues-survey/

Most of the questions were fine, but I did feel the rest of them were "are you sure you don't have serious issues with the gender statuses? Are you sure? Wanna think about it some more?"

"Are you sure of your selection?"

"Really?"

"You're really, really sure?"

(Thinking of that Youtube video about Florida voting machines; but I just realized there's some salty language in there so I guess I ought not to link to it.)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I just took a survey on gender issues in the Church forwarded to me by a friend:

https://georgiasouthern.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_7ZOwz9Tl8qzd3G5&i=267703

Wondering what others think about the survey?

it seems like they are looking for excuses, or are hoping for one.

I took the survey.  I just said, over and over ad nauseum, I am all for any changes to womens' roles, so long as those changes are made by the Lord through his prophet.  No more, and no less.  

Come to think of it, that's my answer to just about any question involving the Church... 

Mormon Women Stand has updated their post on the survey. I just learned that "The survey was created by a group calling itself the “Mormon Gender Survey Group”, which includes in its membership well-known LDS dissenter and agitator, John Dehlin, as well as other progressive Mormon activists who have pushed for the church to ordain women and to change its doctrine regarding homosexuality.

The survey questions are worded in ways that subtly push their typical agenda".

Guest LiterateParakeet

I don't think Mormon Women Stand is behind this survey, they simply passed it on because, as I quoted earlier, "It has approval from several universities and may therefore get a great deal of attention. It is critical that women who understand LDS gender issues from God’s point of view complete the survey. This will help prevent misconceptions that could be passed along otherwise." 

http://www.mormonwom...-issues-survey/

So participating in the survey could be a reason to make sure that our voices are heard, and not just those who feel differently than we do . . .

This survey is ridiculous! They setup the questions trying to try and force you between their thoughts of how things should be and their view of how things operate in the Church.

If they want to see how women operate in the Church they should attend our Ward Council and see how much input the wonderful sisters in our ward give and how much they shape what takes place in our Ward. Even a lot of the time we spend in our Bishopric meetings is dedicated to issues that sisters have brought to the forefront of the bishopric to help make our ward stronger!

The Millenial Star - What You Should Know About That Mormon Gender Issues Survey

The survey was created by a group calling itself the “Mormon Gender Survey Group”, which includes in its membership well-known LDS dissenter and agitator, John Dehlin, as well as other progressive Mormon activists who have pushed for the church to ordain women and to change its doctrine regarding homosexuality.

The survey questions are worded in ways that subtly push their typical agenda.

This isn’t the first time Dehlin has used stilted academic surveys to support his agitation. In 2012 his “Mormon Research Foundation” created a survey that was used to over-estimate the number of unhappy women in the LDS church, even though by its own admission the survey results made “no claim of representativeness or statistical significance in the sample“. It was propaganda. But that didn’t stop it from being cited widely to support agitating for change in the church.

By all means, participate in the survey. Make your faithful voices heard. But be aware that your answers will likely be used to promote agitation in the church, regardless of your answers.

etc.
Edited by NeuroTypical

I did the survey because I thought MWS was supporting it. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have taken it. I'm glad MWS has updated their post about who's behind it.

I think MWS jumped the gun by promoting it so quickly.  With the following they have, things should always be researched before putting something like this out to the masses.

Guest LiterateParakeet

MWS isn't behind this.  They thought a good idea until they found out who was behind it.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this.  For whatever it is worth, I never thought MWS was behind the study.  I thought (and still do) that they knew where it was coming from and suggested that we should respond to it...because if we don't then only one side (the other side) will be portrayed.  

Answering the survey is one way to make sure our voice is heard among the dissenters.  If we don't answer, it will appear that everyone feels as "they" do.  

Not participating in the survey isn't going to make the results not come out. The best thing one can do, IMHO, is to make sure the orthodox wing of the Church is well-represented in its results--or, failing that, to answer in such a way as to confound the survey's managers (a black, Non-Mormon democrat female with a PhD in the humanities who thinks women should NEVER be ordained and that the Church will return to Jackson County in the next decade, for example. :satan:)

Vote early. Vote often!!

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Not participating in the survey isn't going to make the results not come out. The best thing one can do, IMHO, is to make sure the orthodox wing of the Church is well-represented in its results--or, failing that, to answer in such a way as to confound the survey's managers (a black, Non-Mormon democrat female with a PhD in the humanities who thinks women should NEVER be ordained and that the Church will return to Jackson County in the next decade, for example. :satan:)

Vote early. Vote often!!

One of the blessings of living the Word of Wisdom is that I don't spray coffee all over my screen when reading a post like this.

Vote early. Vote often!!

I'm pretty sure I disagree. Not participating in the survey will make absolutely no difference whatsoever...just as participating in the survey will also make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Haters will hate...or so it goes...