How are you celebrating Thanksgiving?

pam

Ham vort, honey glazed spiral cut ham. Way better than turkey.

Cranberry sauce, ham, pumpkin pie and candied yams. mmmmmmmm.

We will be eating at our in-laws with just a few family members. Hopefully my mom is coming to it. Our family has never done the big gather the family thing on thanksgiving for some reason, we all just celebrate in our tiny fists of close family.

Nahhh ham is reserved for Christmas. Come on jerome...get your holidays straight.  :P

For thanksgiving, we're heading to the church to have dinner with 5 or 6 other families who, for whatever reason, aren't going somewhere or having family over.  

We are bringing a duck which we raised, fed, hugged, killed, and (as of a few days from now) cooked.  There were 7 of them total, and the 10 yr old is in charge of picking which one to use.  We went down to the freezer and she was all like "No, that one's Sprite - we're saving her to last.  That one is Tiny Afro, too big.  We'll use that one - that's Daddy's duck Tape."

How can you eat something you named?  

@ PAM, JEROME, Et Alii:

Au contraire!

Please take a look at the MENU for tomorrow's dinner and supper in the Mess Hall at the Armed Forces Retirement Homes in Gulfport, Mississippi and Washington, D.C. 

The conventional computer Internet URL for that web site is:

https://www.afrh.gov/afrh/current/menu/2014/Cycle%20Three%2024-30%20Nov.pdf

On Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and Easter Sunday, they ALWAYS serve turkey, ham, chocolate eclairs, wine, and/or champagne for both dinner and supper.

No, I don't imbibe those alcoholic libations, which are also served once each month at the monthly birthday dinner, featuring prime rib or T-bone steak, or rib eye steak, with baked potato, birthday cake, and ice cream.

However, Tuesday is SOYLENT GREEN day!

Thank you.

Edited by writesong

So nice that all of you could celebrate my birthday this year.  :)

I always get a pumpkin pie to myself. That is my tradition. Backroads, you can send your pumpkin pies my way. I love them!

I don't think anyone's making pumpkin pie for our thanksgiving dinners (that's right...I said dinners...plural...my family always celebrates it on Friday...so...yeah...) this year. I told my wife this morning that I'm going to make myself a pumpkin pie for myself to have later in the day. It's the only time I really get my very favorite desert!

Eowyn, sorry to hear about your dad. It's tough celebrating the holidays when you're missing a loved one, and at the same time, the holiday season couldn't be a more perfect time to recall all the wonderful moments you shared with that person. Best wishes to you and your family.

My son and I went to my home teacher's, who frequently invites us over for holiday meals. They have 5 kids, invited another couple with 5 kids, a couple with 3 kids, another single woman with a kid, and my HT's in-laws. 

Thankfully, the little kids all seemed very happy with staying downstairs, enabling a good time to be had by all.  :D