New member exploring things.

Captain Awesome

Good day.

I guess you could say I'm non-denominational.  I believe in Jesus, God, et cetera, but also believe in the positive messages contained in many other religions (eg. Buddhism).  Actually I believe or suspect they were all basically the same message delivered with some differences due to the times and cultures in which they arose.  I wouldn't say I know what's what.  I'm just trying to figure it all out.

As for the Book Of Mormon, I am reading it now.

Oh, I'm from Australia.  I recently visited SLC and was very impressed.  It's a beautiful city, with beautiful scenery surrounding it, and Temple Square is amazing.  I'll attach a picture of the temple that I took while there.

post-63552-0-19561000-1417214727_thumb.j

I have very fond memories of Australia!

That is where my most memorable Thanksgiving Day observance occurred in November of 1971, when I was a soldier in the 101st Airborne Division "Screaming Eagles" serving in the old Republic of Viet Nam, and going on a week long Rest and Recuperation leave (i.e., "R&R") to Sydney, Australia.

En route, after our Pan American flight left Da Nang, I mentioned to a soldier sitting in the seat next to mine that I was looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving Day in Australia.

He replied that Thanksgiving Day was a uniquely American holiday, not observed in Australia, nor in very few other countries.

In Sydney, instead of checking into a hotel, I followed the counsel of my "Mormon" church leaders and contacted the local leaders of The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints, and they arranged for me to be the house guest of a couple living across the bay in the suburb of Manly, who had immigrated from England, and whose son was away at sea serving on a submarine in the Royal Australian Navy.

687088994_e7e6a38093.jpg

They, in turn, arranged for me, along two full time LDS missionaries from America, to have our Thanksgiving dinner at the home of an American family employed in Australia (who had a very attractive daughter).

687088906_a9973d618d.jpg

Because of that, I now regard Thanksgiving Day as both a religious observance AND a patriotic holiday, and when invited to a Thanksgiving dinner, I now wear my military decorations on my best Sunday-go-to-meetin’ suit.

Also, it is an Australian veteran of the Viet Nam War, ANTHONY WILLIAM PAHL, recipient of the Order of Australia, a resident of Adelaide, who has published my poetry, short stories, and songs at his computer Internet web site, the INTERNATIONAL WAR VETERANS POETRY ARCHIVES.

Welcome to our own beloved United States of America!

As for the BOOK OF MORMON, I remember when I read it for the first time 47 years ago, what a struggle I had trying to figure out if it was genuinely the word of God, or merely a fraud perpetrated by a con artist pretending to be a prophet.

Well, I'm a Mormon, so you see what I learned.

But, everyone must learn for themselves, through their own efforts, using study and prayer.

Some folks get their answer immediately, while others, such as myself, have to struggle for weeks or months.

I've even known converts who didn't get baptized until YEARS or DECADES after first investigating the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

So, hang in there, and God bless you for seeking the source of all truth.

Edited by writesong

You should find acceptance of your broader faith within our faith. Our last church President encouraged people of all faiths to "bring what you have and we will add to it."  It was encourage you to continue in practice of your faith and worship as you learn of ours. I believe his statement was also to encourage members to be more tolerant of other faiths. In the past, it was perceived people were asked to put away the crucifix, or prayer shawl. I believe all forms of worship have value and need to be respected.

What you will find different is the LDS faith believes the practice of specific ordinances must be performed by authorized priesthood holders. This requires a devotion to the LDS faith above other "churches", but does not negate your practice of personal forms of worship - such as having a crucifix, Buddhist blessing flags, etc.

Good day.

I guess you could say I'm non-denominational.  I believe in Jesus, God, et cetera, but also believe in the positive messages contained in many other religions (eg. Buddhism).  Actually I believe or suspect they were all basically the same message delivered with some differences due to the times and cultures in which they arose.  I wouldn't say I know what's what.  I'm just trying to figure it all out.

As for the Book Of Mormon, I am reading it now.

Oh, I'm from Australia.  I recently visited SLC and was very impressed.  It's a beautiful city, with beautiful scenery surrounding it, and Temple Square is amazing.  I'll attach a picture of the temple that I took while there.

Nice Pic! and welcome! Thank you for sharing... you will find truths in all religions. I look forward to your insights and questions and will answeer the best i can :)