Giving It All Over to Christ.

John Prather

It means to have faith and trust in the power of the Atonement of Christ.  For example - say, you are falling out of an exploding airplane and you only have one parachute but there are 3 people that fell out with you that has no parachutes.  You are fearful to make a choice to save one of them because it means you did not save the other 2... You have mere seconds to make the choice... what it means to hand this problem over to Christ is to do what you think God would want you to do to the very best of your ability and trust that God's Will will be done... and if you fail, or if you find out later on it was the wrong choice, then you can exercise faith and trust in the power of the Atonement of Christ to cleanse you from it.  Your heart will be at peace.

This is how I see it.

Giving it all over to Christ means you are allowing yourself to be in a place of humility and are calling upon the Lord for His strength to guide you (even if you find yourself in a web of confusion and turmoil) it's the moment where you rely on faith in belief that all things will be made right by Him. This doesn't mean that those things are made right in a time frame that is always convenient for us. Everything is and will be made right but according to the Lord's Will. Giving it all over to Christ is a step in so many positive directions, including, being able to forgive ourselves and others.

I need help understanding by what it means to give your problems, fears, etc. over to Christ. I read an article that said the a gentleman learn to do this. What does this mean and how do you achieve this?

The concept, though based is some truth has been greatly altered through the great apostasy and much of the actual concept has been lost to our current generation.  But then again restored in these last days as we approach the 2nd coming of the Messiah.  The true concept is based in covenant worship and becoming a citizen (saint) of a Kingdom  and also servant vassal or the supreme Suzerain of that kingdom.  Thus we are governed by the statutes and laws of that kingdom and subject to the Suzerain.  But even more we connected to the kingdom as heirs and bear the Suzerain's name as his chosen representatives.   The symbolic representation taught anciently was compared to a marriage covenant.  It is important to note that the ancient marriage covenant was a little different than the marriage of our day that is sadly failing on so many fronts.

The ancient symbolism of marriage the bride gave herself to the husband.  Her covenant was that of giving of herself and living under his protection as his first obligation and responsibility.  In essence the bride was second in command of the husband's estate.  Today the bride giving herself to be exalted in the estate of her husband has lost value and is considered demeaning to the bride.  But the bride had legal right to the estate and protection of her husband.  The reality is that in the ancient society marriage was very liberating to the bride and a source of great power and prestige in the society.  The bride also took the husband's name.  This made her the legal partner of her husband and his estate.  The value of this to the bride anciently was such an advantage that it was the ancient tradition that the bride offer a dowry - the greater the dowry the greater it was seen as the legal position of the bride in the marriage.  It was often the tradition for the bride to offer all her possessions and talents to the benefit of her husband.  And if the marriage was greatly prestigious the family would often give of their personal possessions to be recognized by the husband and create obligation for his care and protection as well.

Giving oneself to Christ is not the giving of a crappy or useless gift that many make of their lives before becoming a Saint of G-d.  It is the giving of the best of our selves as we strive and become like Christ.  It is not a - here take my problems and the mess I have made of my life - but a promise that we will change and offer a worthy and wonderful future of who we can become to someone that loves us as much as anyone has ever loved their bride.  That we will become worthy of that love and return that love as much as any bride has loved her husband.

We had an excellent sermon on that just last night. We experience fear when we don't want to face loss.  We fear loss because we are trying to selfishly hold on to things, people, status, etc... We need to surrender all we have to God.  All our dreams, relationships, things, etc... need to be entrusted to Him.

We need to realize that God loves us and provides the best for us. If He adds or removes something from our life it is for our best interest. The Bible says that perfect love casts out fear. (1 John 4:18).  When we truly love God we won't fear loss- we may not enjoy it, but we won't fear it.

So, what does this look like in real life? We had to move out of state because of my husband's job. We only had two weeks notice.  Two weeks to pack.  Two weeks to get a house ready to be sold.  Two weeks to say goodbye to dear friends and family. It was overwhelming. It was traumatic. It took a lot longer to sell our house than we thought it would. My attitude sucked. So, I wallowed in self pity for a while.

Praise God, He started opening my eyes to His plan and His goodness. I had always thought of ourselves as poor- well at least not solidly upper middle class. I was miserable because we had to make a rent payment and a mortgage payment, plus two sets of utility bills. Then I realized how blessed we were because we were and we could pay for two places to live.  Many people live on the street.  One look at all the pan-handlers in downtown Richmond makes that obvious.

I missed my friends.  I missed my church.  We found ourselves in a great church here where the worship is so vibrant and the love of God is so evident, just like our church in Illinois.  On top of that, our new pastor has opened my eyes to sin in my life that I wasn't aware of (or that I had been ignoring).  Dealing with these issues has helped me grow closer to God.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I felt like I was losing many things. I was scared of what the future held. I had to give up my life in Illinois.  But in giving (or God taking) those things from me I see He has provided something much better than what I had before.  I should have faced these losses joyously, knowing God was working something better.  Next time that sort of trial comes I will look back and remember what God for me this time and respond in a more faithful way.

BTW- in addition to a church and friends, God provided a buyer for our house  and we close on a wonderful house here before Christmas.  It even has a waterfall and goldfish pond.

I also remember of a story, I think it was Hugh B. Brown, that took place during WW I. He met a French woman who had lost her husband and three of her sons to the war. She was asked how she was coping with the situation in her life. She replied she left it at the alter. What does this mean? Leaving it at the alter aka casting your burdens upon Christ?

I also remember of a story, I think it was Hugh B. Brown, that took place during WW I. He met a French woman who had lost her husband and three of her sons to the war. She was asked how she was coping with the situation in her life. She replied she left it at the alter. What does this mean? Leaving it at the alter aka casting your burdens upon Christ?

It means she recognized that her son's and husband's were in God's control and hand. It would mean that she trusted God for providing the best, even if that means losing them temporarily here on earth.  She would know that God was going to take care of her, too.

There is a family who lost  their kids in a fiery car accident in Chicago. (the Willis family). I have heard her speak at retreats.  She would see something really cool, like a piece of playground equipment, and think that she wished the kids were there to see it.  Then she would realize that what they were seeing in heaven was far better than what she wished they could see on earth.

Often times, when people are sick we pray for complete healing, forgetting that we will never be more healed than we are after we get to heaven.

Edited by Irishcolleen

Well, I'm still learning what it means.  And still learning how to do it.  For me,  I learn a little here and a little there.  And just when I think I've got it, something else challenges me and I sort of have to start over.

I just finished reading "The Peacegiver" and studying the story of Jonah in the OT.  I'm learning a lot about how to do it by learning from Jonah and learning about how and why Jesus asks us to hand things to Him.  Jonah had lots of valid reasons to hate Ninevah.  And then to Jonah's dismay, Ninevah repented!  Curses!  And then the account ends with Jonah still holding out trying to figure it out in all of his lamentations unable yet to hand Ninevah to Jesus.  

I think what I'm learning is that this is part of way Jesus heals us.  He gets in the middle of it so that literally he can take our grievances upon himself so that we can be free to move forward.

Edited by Misshalfway

I need help understanding by what it means to give your problems, fears, etc. over to Christ. I read an article that said the a gentleman learn to do this. What does this mean and how do you achieve this?

by doing as Jesus says:

the greatest commandment is to love the Lord God with all that you are. (Matthew 22:36-40) 

the second is like it - to love our neighbors as ourselves.

Christ gave the commandment - love one another as He has loved us. (John 15:12) 

love is what is required. 

Christ loves perfectly, and it is with His love that we must love each other, and this is the love we must have for Him, the same love He gives us. He says: 

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

(John 15:13) 

this word θῇ translated "lay down" means to set aside or resolve, not to sacrifice or 'take a bullet for' a friend. it means to put your own life on hold for the needs of the other; to allow the other to be preeminent. so to love Christ the Lord in this way - it means to deny yourself. to set your life aside. the saying is not merely to 'take up your cross and follow Him' -- but this:

Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

(Luke 9:23) 

we must deny ourselves before we can take up our cross - that cross is the death of ourselves (and new life in Christ, resurrected!)

this is more than simply keeping from satisfying your desires. this is more than striving to be obedient. this is in fact giving up your very self, your very life, for Him -- not martyrdom, but conceding in your heart that He is God, and you are not - that you have need of Him to do the things your flesh cannot do. He is the one who puts a new heart in you; you are not the one who changes your own heart. He is the one who will cause you to walk in His ways - you have no power to direct your own steps, though you do have the choice to purpose yourself for the path. 

we have to give up the pride of life to Him - to set aside our own ego, thinking we are able to attain to Him of our own self will and determination. you cannot obey the law; that is why a Saviour is given. it is not by works, but by faith in Him, who is the grace of God, that anyone is justified. 

you have to set your ego aside in love. to lay it down. you have to acknowledge Him in every way. 

this is like what He says: 

Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

(Matthew 10:39) 

you cannot reach up to God. you must allow God to reach down to you :) this is what He has done: to send the Son to die for the atonement of your sin, and raised Him up from the grave so that in Him you can have life. 

if you have believed in Him, and baptized into Him, you are dead, buried in His baptism -- a dead man cannot solve his problems or allay his fears. but we are raised with Him in His resurrection - with life that is not of ourselves, but of Him! allow Him then to destroy fear by trusting in Him. lay aside your fear for Him, as the answer of perfect love, just as He laid aside His glory for you. 

trust in Him and acknowledge Him in everything! and trust nothing to yourself. His faithfulness is everlasting; it is not like human faithfulness. He will teach your heart patience and peace as you continue to trust Him. 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways submit to him,

and he will make your paths straight.

Do not be wise in your own eyes;

fear the Lord and shun evil.

This will bring health to your body

and nourishment to your bones.

(Proverbs 3:5-8) 

He can do these things. we cannot, except that we abide in Him. 

so trust Him :) 

EDIT: fixed some formatting

Edited by intra

- but a promise that we will change and offer a worthy and wonderful future of who we can become to someone that loves us as much as anyone has ever loved their bride.  That we will become worthy of that love and return that love as much as any bride has loved her husband.

if we can make ourselves worthy, what need do we have of a Savior? 

speaking for myself, i cannot do anything good except that the Spirit of God moves in me to do it, empowering and leading me in His wisdom. it is not me who walks worthily, but the Worthy One living in me, directing my path. 

is it not this way with you?

truly,  ♫ 'i need Him ev'ry hour' ♪

Praise God, He started opening my eyes to His plan and His goodness. I had always thought of ourselves as poor- well at least not solidly upper middle class. I was miserable because we had to make a rent payment and a mortgage payment, plus two sets of utility bills. Then I realized how blessed we were because we were and we could pay for two places to live.  Many people live on the street.  One look at all the pan-handlers in downtown Richmond makes that obvious.

wonderful! 

and this underscores a trustworthy strategy that casts out fear: 

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances;

for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

how to be afraid when you are rejoicing and thankful?! 

how to be worried when you are praising God for His goodness?!

But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.

(Psalm 71:14)

who is like the Lord my God? there is no other! all His ways are perfect! 

Often times, when people are sick we pray for complete healing, forgetting that we will never be more healed than we are after we get to heaven.

or that it is better to enter the kingdom maimed than not at all! 

He is sovereign, after all.

as Paul, may He teach us to thank Him for the thorns of our flesh He does not will to remove, and rejoice that He stoops to teach us humility :) 

Well, I'm still learning what it means.  And still learning how to do it.  For me,  I learn a little here and a little there.  And just when I think I've got it, something else challenges me and I sort of have to start over.

I just finished reading "The Peacegiver" and studying the story of Jonah in the OT.  I'm learning a lot about how to do it by learning from Jonah and learning about how and why Jesus asks us to hand things to Him.  Jonah had lots of valid reasons to hate Ninevah.  And then to Jonah's dismay, Ninevah repented!  Curses!  And then the account ends with Jonah still holding out trying to figure it out in all of his lamentations unable yet to hand Ninevah to Jesus.  

I think what I'm learning is that this is part of way Jesus heals us.  He gets in the middle of it so that literally he can take our grievances upon himself so that we can be free to move forward.

the book of Jonah is wonderful! 

the burden the prophet would not lay down, God still bore on Himself. though Jonah was disobedient, the Lord put hooks in his jaw and made Him obedient. though Jonah's heart was full of error, God used Him in his obedience. Jonah did not have mercy, but the mercy of the Lord did not fail! 

did Jonah have free will? how did that work out for Jonah !?!

it is not by the will of man, but by the good pleasure of the Lord Almighty, who shows mercy to whomever He will show mercy! 

praise God, He has been merciful to me!