Hugh Nibley Lecture Series

slamjet

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, or if this is really, really old news, but I thought I'd make aware that The Maxwell Institute has a youtube channel and one of their playlists is the Hugh Nibley's Pearl of Great Price Lecture Series.  I enjoyed it, thought others might also.

Speaking of Nibley, I am reading "The Essential Nibley: Excerpts from the Writings of Hugh Nibley." 

My ego crumbles before his writing, which is monumental in style, content, and use of metaphor.  But he does have some head-scratchers, such as: "Ancient documents talk a great deal about decontaminating matter and then putting it into orbit, so so speak, where it will circle around a center until someone uses it again" (page 6). 

That sounds less like theology and more like the time we moved all the junk out of my grandmother's attic and got rid of it in a single huge garage sale, which probably netted us somewhere around $10 a ton.

My favorite lecture series by hugh nibley (ok one of many)... 

https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/issues/080.pdf

Starts on page 10.

Subject is priesthood.

Who can deny such a power to another? No man. Who can bestow it on another? No man. We like to think that the Church is divided into those who have it and those who don’t have it; but it is the purest folly to assume that we can tell who has it and who does not. God alone knows who is righteous and how righteous; yet "the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven," and those "cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principle of righteousness" (D&C 121:35). The result is that if there is anyone who really holds the priesthood, no one is in a position to say who it is--only by the power to command the spirits and the elements is such a gift apparent. But as far as commanding or directing other people, there every man must decide for himself.  -Hugh Nibley

I have very much enjoyed the "Time Vindicates the Prophets" series.  My favourite quote comes from this series.

"An oyster has few prejudices in the field of astronomy. We may safely say he has none. Are we then to congratulate the oyster for his open-mindedness?"

I have very much enjoyed the "Time Vindicates the Prophets" series.  My favourite quote comes from this series.

"An oyster has few prejudices in the field of astronomy. We may safely say he has none. Are we then to congratulate the oyster for his open-mindedness?"

"Time Vindicates the Prophets", a series of 32 fifteen-minute radio addresses given in 1954 between about March and October, may possibly be the best Nibley lectures I have ever heard -- itself a remarkable statement. It is mostly as relevant today as it was sixty years ago, allowing for a bit of outdated content regarding the Dead Sea scrolls and such. I am listening to it again right now. (That is, it's my current playlist, not that I'm listening to it at this moment.)

I understand that it's now freely available for download. I can't find it on Youtube or on Google, though. You can buy the CD set for pretty cheap. I very highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Nibley. You absolutely will not be disappointed. Every lecture is a treat, and the final lecture, though light in academic content, is the best of them all, being in essence Nibley's testimony.

Edited by Vort

I just came across a book called "Teachings of the Book of Mormon" by Hugh Nibley. It's basically a class he taught at BYU on the Book of Mormon. Each chapter is a one hour lecture. This is a series of four books. I thought to myself, "Would I like to take a class on the Book of Mormon by Nibley?" YES OF COURSE I DO! LOL, so I bought it for the Kindle and it is amazing!

I just came across a book called "Teachings of the Book of Mormon" by Hugh Nibley. It's basically a class he taught at BYU on the Book of Mormon. Each chapter is a one hour lecture. This is a series of four books. I thought to myself, "Would I like to take a class on the Book of Mormon by Nibley?" YES OF COURSE I DO! LOL, so I bought it for the Kindle and it is amazing!

Hope you didn't pay too much for it. It's available for free, e.g. on iTunes. Great course; you'll love it.