How we roll in the heartland

dahlia

We had our Christmas party last Saturday (we have lots of students who leave for winter break, so we have our party early). As part of the entertainment, we had the fabulous Donny & Marie Osmond, complete with red striped shoes - hard to see in the video, but just dazzling in person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvLVzJZ77YE

Remember, jealousy is a sin.

Not me; she must have been a guest, I didn't recognize her at the party.

I am a mixed, high yellow gal. Don't look anything like the girl at the piano.

I think the idea of a lip sync was great. We have some very good voices in our ward, but most of the rest of us, not so much. It can be brutal to listen to someone sing who doesn't have the gift. This way, the song is done professionally, you can have fun doing a little skit with it, and anyone who wants to can participate.

I am a mixed, high yellow gal. Don't look anything like the girl at the piano.

I do not remember having heard the term "high yellow", though maybe I have and just forgot. Very interesting.

I once shocked a Middle Easterner by affirming that all us Americans were essentially "mongrels". I don't think he appreciated the idea of using such a term on human beings.

I once shocked a Middle Easterner by affirming that all us Americans were essentially "mongrels". I don't think he appreciated the idea of using such a term on human beings.

From an Adamic p.o.v., is there anyone, really, who is not? :)

We had our Christmas party last Saturday (we have lots of students who leave for winter break, so we have our party early). As part of the entertainment, we had the fabulous Donny & Marie Osmond, complete with red striped shoes - hard to see in the video, but just dazzling in person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvLVzJZ77YE

Remember, jealousy is a sin.

Dangit.. you had to remind me lol.

My husband and I just had a discussion about that word yesterday and agreed that it's probably best reserved for dogs. 

My husband and I just had a discussion about that word yesterday and agreed that it's probably best reserved for dogs. 

Heheh. I always go with the (probably mistaken) approach that as long as I include myself it's okay.

All mankind is stupid = okay.

Everybody's stupid but me = ....well....

tumblr_mg4cz5yRXS1rddmj2o1_500.jpg

I think most blacks, no matter their age, and many whites over a certain age (or with certain reading habits) would recognize 'high yellow.'  There's also the ever popular 'light, bright, almost white.'  I like 'colored gal' myself, tho it's not as specific as the other descriptions. :lol: