Loving God

John Prather

We also believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. We use the King James Version, and interpret its words with assistance of the Holy Spirit, prophetic revelation, and the Book of Mormon.

Yes, of course, Jesus Christ is our center.  But He expects us to do somethings for ourselves.  He doesn't put food on our tables, or clothing in our closets.  When we are sick, He expects us to pray for healing, but also to go to the doctor.  And sometimes He expects us to get therapy.  (I don't know anything about chakras...so I can't speak about that.)

One of my favorite quotes is this one by Dr. Richard Mollica.  "Every human being is born with the strength to heal. No amount of violence or torture can destroy that capacity. No barbarism or savagery can crush the ability to recover and rebuild."   He is the director and co-founder of the Harvard Refugee Program.  Over many years he has worked with survivors of rape, war, genocide, all kinds of unspeakable violence.  And he believes everyone can be healed.  I believe he helps his patients with therapy and medication.  I'm sure Christ's hand is in the healing as well, but Dr. Mollica doesn't know that.  

Christ in His abundant love has given us many ways to heal.

Yes but at the same time sometimes there are thorns in the flesh, like Paul's thorn, that are meant to last a lifetime while here no matter how much we might pray or be worthy of such a healing.  This like is supposed to present challenges that we cannot overcome by ourselves and some of which we simply have to learn to endure throughout our lives.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Yes but at the same time sometimes there are thorns in the flesh, like Paul's thorn, that are meant to last a lifetime while here no matter how much we might pray or be worthy of such a healing.  This like is supposed to present challenges that we cannot overcome by ourselves and some of which we simply have to learn to endure throughout our lives.

Yes that is true.  Perhaps Dr. Mollica was referring to getting to the point where you CAN endure.  You have to believe that you can endure (suffer patiently) because when you are in great pain, I mean the pain of severe trauma which fortunately most people will never have to experience...rape, childhood sexual abuse, surviving genocide...if you thought you had to endure THAT pain for the rest of your life you would likely commit suicide.  Many have.

I see Dr. Mollica's statement as saying 'you won't be in this pain forever', and that is really important.

We also believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. We use the King James Version, and interpret its words with assistance of the Holy Spirit, prophetic revelation, and the Book of Mormon.

what is the test if a prophet or a revelation is true or false? 

how do you identify apostasy? 

do you believe this: 

But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die. And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the Lord hath not spoken? when a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

(Deuteronomy 18:20-22) 

?

if anyone comes to you with revelation and it contradicts scripture, what do you do? 

what does it mean "the Bible is always identified first in our canon" ? 

is the test human emotion? doesn't one person say "this seems good to me" while another says "this seems not good" when they hear the same thing? when Ezekiel, and also John ate the scroll that was the testimony of God, did it not seem sweet in his mouth but bitter in his belly? (Ezekiel 3, Revelation 10) 

should Ezekiel have rejected the Word when his belly found it bitter? of course not -- yes? 

what is the ultimate authority for the LDS? 

if it is possible that the church before the LDS was apostate and fell away, could it be possible that the LDS at any time could be apostate? how would you know? what should we test modern-day prophets and teachers against? 

After much thought about this whole 'love' thing missing in my life, I realize that everyone suffers something experienced here in mortality.  It means a lot to me to hear from some of you and what you have faced in your journeys.  Then there are those you who waggle their finger and say, "All you gotta do is..."  and fail to take into account that not all of us are cut from the same cloth. I have been to five therapists over the course of my life working on my lack of experience of experiencing love. Of course there were several bishops as well. Scriptures and prayer have been the foundation as well.  As I have said there is the struggle and reconciliation between emotional and intellectual aspect of the gospel.  It is said that when one suffers a personal calamity they are emotionally arrested at that age.  So I know there is a little boy in me that is hurt. At this core of my being I am so angry as to having to seek out love from my Father in Heaven. Here on earth a parent doesn't instruct their child to, "Hey, find out if I love you or not.! Naw, it'll be fun!"  Why should I have to make the effort when some of you have always known it since day one?  There is a guy in my ward who is confined to a wheelchair and I think he has been all his life. I know that he feels loved by his family and I'm sure by extension he feels loved by God. I would trade places with him in a heartbeat if I could have what he has had and now possess. I have asked before in here what the lower kingdoms get to do after the whistle blows and we all clear out this mortal pool. I have thoughts of suicide like some people have thoughts of winning the lottery. I have attempted it twice now with the obvious lack of success. What is it that is said? Suicide is saying to God, "You can't fire me! I quit!"  Attention seeking behavior? I think not. I think I post here is that I lack an intimate emotional connection that would allow me to express and think through my thoughts and feelings. Now why is that? Oh right, this whole lack of love and God-thing that has prevented me from establishing healthy relationships.  Oh well, thanks for some of you with sincere thoughts and expressions with my outbursts.

After much thought about this whole 'love' thing missing in my life, I realize that everyone suffers something experienced here in mortality.  It means a lot to me to hear from some of you and what you have faced in your journeys.  Then there are those you who waggle their finger and say, "All you gotta do is..."  and fail to take into account that not all of us are cut from the same cloth. I have been to five therapists over the course of my life working on my lack of experience of experiencing love. Of course there were several bishops as well. Scriptures and prayer have been the foundation as well.  As I have said there is the struggle and reconciliation between emotional and intellectual aspect of the gospel.  It is said that when one suffers a personal calamity they are emotionally arrested at that age.  So I know there is a little boy in me that is hurt. At this core of my being I am so angry as to having to seek out love from my Father in Heaven. Here on earth a parent doesn't instruct their child to, "Hey, find out if I love you or not.! Naw, it'll be fun!"  Why should I have to make the effort when some of you have always known it since day one?  There is a guy in my ward who is confined to a wheelchair and I think he has been all his life. I know that he feels loved by his family and I'm sure by extension he feels loved by God. I would trade places with him in a heartbeat if I could have what he has had and now possess. I have asked before in here what the lower kingdoms get to do after the whistle blows and we all clear out this mortal pool. I have thoughts of suicide like some people have thoughts of winning the lottery. I have attempted it twice now with the obvious lack of success. What is it that is said? Suicide is saying to God, "You can't fire me! I quit!"  Attention seeking behavior? I think not. I think I post here is that I lack an intimate emotional connection that would allow me to express and think through my thoughts and feelings. Now why is that? Oh right, this whole lack of love and God-thing that has prevented me from establishing healthy relationships.  Oh well, thanks for some of you with sincere thoughts and expressions with my outbursts.

John, my brother.  You've had a rough go of it.  And it seems like the mountain Everest without end to the uphill battle.

But sometimes... we just have to let go of the past and draw a line on the ground and say... this here is the end of the past... so you step over the line into your future.... and just completely let go of the past.  Forgive the past.  Forgive all the people/events/places/things of the past.  Let it go.  Step over the line fresh and brand new and decide - today, this is the day, that I WILL LOVE SOMEONE.  You can start with a puppy even.  The puppy will pee and poop in your carpet and rip your couch apart - but, when you have made that decision to LOVE your puppy, you will choose to continue to love that puppy regardless of the ripped up couch... and maybe, just maybe, you will feel that puppy's unconditional love flowing right back to you... what do you have to lose?  Well, maybe a couch... but it just might be worth it.

Edited by anatess