Being baptized and afraid of the procedure

JimmiGerman

take heart; it's natural to be afraid of death  ^_^ 

Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
(Romans 6:3-4) 

Maybe they will let you break it into steps.  I think the end result would still be that you have to go underwater but talk to your bishop about that.  Even if your baptism is not as soon as you would have liked, Heavenly Father will know that you are working toward when you can have it.

Will they let you see the baptism font?  Let you go in it dry and then  do the physical part of showing you how you would go under?  I don't think they will but it is worth asking them to fill it partway to show you what it is like and then later or the day off  baptism fill it all the way.

Choose  the person who will be baptizing you and the witness (if they let you choose them) to be ones who know your fear and will be reassuring and supportive.

Same with  who comes to  your baptism.  Make sure the bishop knows that you don't want him to  announce your baptism and  have it so everyone can be invited. Some do that.  Works for their ward and if  someone doesn't want the ward going they can work it out with the bishop. Choose who you think will support you.

You will be ok and can do this.

Oh and I never saw you as anti-ordinance, just afraid of one ordinance.

Edited by Uhura

take heart; it's natural to be afraid of death  ^_^ 

Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

(Romans 6:3-4) 

Maybe natural, but a coward dies thousand deaths.  smiley-shocked011.gif  It's understandable this makes things not necessarily easier.

Wait... I could wear a life jacket, or what about a diving suit? Oh dear, somehow I think this thread is coming to a dead end.

Edited by JimmiGerman

I don't have much to add here, but I did listen to a podcast recently where a new member asked to be baptized in some nearby creek.  The missionaries and bishop were horrified and tried mightily to talk him out of it.  One of them hit on the idea of calling the stake and asking for permission, thinking that the stake would instantly forbid it and thus drop the guillotine blade on any further creek-talk.

But the stake was utterly charmed by this suggestion and told them to get down to that creek pronto to baptize him.  Perhaps the water may not bother you as much if you are a shaping force behind the location and style of your baptism.  

It's a good suggestion. One can have a dislike for milk, but from a beer stein it maybe tastes.  :rolleyes:  By the way, there are several good places here where you can be baptized in the the river Elbe in summer. It was my wish one or two years ago, but I hesitated and couldn't make up my mind. Not because of the water - you surely will have recognized that, in fact,  the problem might not be the water alone.

Laie_15.gif 

Edited by JimmiGerman

(...)

Will they let you see the baptism font?  Let you go in it dry and then  do the physical part of showing you how you would go under?  I don't think they will but it is worth asking them to fill it partway to show you what it is like and then later or the day off  baptism fill it all the way.

(...)

You will be ok and can do this.

Oh and I never saw you as anti-ordinance, just afraid of one ordinance.

170px-Nichelle_Nichols%2C_NASA_Recruiter   Lieutenant Uhura?

Anyway, thanks for your advice. Btw. I might fear many things but I don't fear the Klingons -ahem- not much, to be honest.  smiley-shocked011.gif  ...aah forget it, no more lies between us - I am a Klingon.  :mad:   qaleghqa'mo' jIQuch   (*

(*  Translation Klingon - English: "Long time no see."

Edited by JimmiGerman