So, I'll be posting less often, now.

2ndRateMind

President Obama recently made this statement in connection with his new policy toward Cuba: "But what I know deep in my bones is that if you've done the same thing for 50 years and nothing's changed, you should try something different if you want a different outcome."

Well.  This country has spent 50 years and several trillion dollars on anti-poverty programs, and the poverty rate today is approximately where it was 50 years ago.  I wonder if President Obama will sip his own medicine.

We don't know the counter-factual. What the world would have been like, and how ignorant we might be in respect of effective, workable strategies, had that money not been spent.

Best wishes, and have a great new year! 2RM.

Not quite sure what a hairflip is, but I never said I was leaving you all forever, just that my frequency of posting would be down. Meanwhile, think of me as Jiminy Cricket to your Pinocchio - a friendly, neighbourhood, and annoying conscience.

Happy new year, 2RM.

Jimmy Cricket would listen to Pinocchio and acknowledge when he made an error.  You have completely ignored those that point out your errors.

You my friend are no Jimmy Cricket

Hairflip indeed! LOL.

Found in Google:

"It means when someone thinks they're too good for the board.

When someone says "BLAHBLAH U GUYS SUCK I'M LEAVING THE GROUP" that's a hair flip. ;D"

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a24851737/im_ignorant_-_what_does_hairflip_mean_in_terms_of_this_board

But onward... I have taken the time to read every post in the thread. Whew!

For the record I believe those who can should, out of a desire to serve God and our fellow man, do what can be done to lift those in need of lifting whatever that need is, but it isn't always this simple.

Also, I have been absent for a fair bit, but I did skip the theatrics... I think. I'm curious about this OP though. ...I digress...

2rm I got the feeling from your opening statement that you consider yourself on high ground, something of a moral globalist? (perhaps),... a robin hood of sorts? I also sensed you came here to "judge" as opposed to, perhaps, a search of faith. Not that there are any requirements for being here, no far from it. You also seem to resist being nailed down, found out, or perhaps you prefer to remain enigmatic, aloof ect. (I could be wrong) To each their own, I'm not judging... just an observation. It'd be interesting, I think, to know you better but I've never been closer to your bounds of habitation than Scotland. Though I am all to often guilty of less than Christ like conduct, as you pointed out (generally), I remain a work in progress. I think your experience would be different in person as you would meet those "not online" and not have to parse poor writting skills like my own.

Solution you say?  Why not start a letter writing campaign to all those elites you speak of? Oh yes, of course. It will not work will it? Who in their right, worldly, mind would feed, clothe and house the poor and starving populations of the world, diminishing the well deserved life of luxury their posterity deserve? (not my own opinion... just pondering the elites perspective)

One could argue that most poor would soon be housing their livestock inside their homes, burning the siding for cooking fires built in electric ovens. It was already pointed out more than money and 'stuff' is needed. Education and a lot of time... perhaps 20 years to bring social, long lasting change.

Yes, Robin Hood and his merry men would have to "force" the elites... bows, arrows and AR-15's all. More than that though. The world population would have to be "enslaved" to your version of "fair"... utterly whipped into submission and creating a new class of elites (like the men in tights who made it all happen?)... hmmm, I am reminded of Russian history. But... wouldn't your plan require a global power base to be possible?, like the current global power base?

I think the truth would be that the very elites (aka: illuminati ect.) whose meager portions were taken by force would end up manipulating the very 'vehicle' you dream of... and out of your revolution... and it would have to be a revolution, those same elites would be found to be the power behind it, the same power base behind the global movement today and the custodians of the world's wealth. How could such a revolution not decide upon forced chemical castration or sterility? Can anyone support such a plan without also, at least, considering a mandated decline of world population in the billions? And just what would that agenda look like before everyone ends up with a home, full pantry and a suitable array of clothing?

While I understand that to "some" your ideas look great in a pre-genicide and future oceans of blood sort of way, but I'm afraid your version of a better tomorrow is coming sooner than we know... it's called the tribulation imo, not utopia. So I agree to disagree because of what, I feel, can only be a less than desireable outcome.

How do you see it playing out?

Edited by Magen_Avot

Hairflip indeed! LOL.

Found in Google:

"It means when someone thinks they're too good for the board.

When someone says "BLAHBLAH U GUYS SUCK I'M LEAVING THE GROUP" that's a hair flip. ;D"

How do you see it playing out?

As for hair-flips, then, it doesn't apply. I don't see myself as 'better', just different. It takes time to turn a world view around, whether mine, or yours.

As for how 'saving the world plays out' I don't have a preferred scenario in this respect, either. If we all do our bit, according to our circumstances, it will happen, eventually. If none of us do, it won't.

Best wishes, 2RM.

As for hair-flips, then, it doesn't apply. I don't see myself as 'better', just different. It takes time to turn a world view around, whether mine, or yours.

As for how 'saving the world plays out' I don't have a preferred scenario in this respect, either. If we all do our bit, according to our circumstances, it will happen, eventually. If none of us do, it won't.

Best wishes, 2RM.

That's where your perspective seems unstable. I'm all for people doing their bit as well. But you say things like that, then turn around and demand government control and forced labor/wealth redistribution.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Believe it or not the all doing our bit is a core belief of many latter-day-saints. While we (speaking generally of course) don't agree with mandated wealth redistribution, we do believe in looking after those less fortunate. But again it isn't forced upon anyone. Programs such as home and visiting teaching are in part intended to see to the temporal needs of those being visited in addition to the spiritual needs. Fast offerings (we do actually encourage all members of the church to go without food as part of a fast and donate the money saved by not eating to help those in need) and Bishop's storehouses are much more directly targeted at dealing with feeding the hungry and clothing the naked.

The way I see it, this (giving out of love, not force) is the only way the change you seek can happen. Not because of robbing the rich to give to the poor, which most likely trickles back down in some other way to recoup* the losses and thwarts the very purpose of the program, but because the "haves" choose to give liberally to the "have nots" of their own volition. This does require a change of heart that the gospel of Christ is capable of doing, but the whole world doesn't change over night... not even over 50 years or more, but individuals are changed.

* when mandated wealth redistribution occurs (say we take 10% of profits from the oil and pharmaceutical industries) then they will simply counter the profit loss by tightening wages on employees, letting people go, cutting hours and increasing prices... so the net effect is worthless.