What would you like to see made into a movie?

Bini

I have a screenplay in mind for the first two books of Nephi. Anyone know a good director/producer team and have access to, say, $5 million in funding?

Some friends and I had discussed filming the Captain Moroni story, with some changes:

1) The setting is a gang-warfare rife Los Angeles, where the government has collapsed and society has descended to tribalism.

2) The various groups are slightly changed. The Zoramites are a strict, militarily trained group. The Lamanites are the various uncoordinated gangs - The crips, the bloods, etc. The Nephites are a small group desperately trying to hold on to civilization amidst a total collapse.

3) Jacob the Zoramite is awesome. He has absolutely no doubt in his mind that God is backing him up. He is devout to tradition rather than God, but certainly seems a Godly man. Think a hard-core military man barking sermons from a mound in the center of camp. You want him to realize the error of his ways, since he's clearly a man with a plan who loves his family and leads his people as best he can, which is a counterpoint to his sheer bloodyminded viciousness and brutality in getting his plan to fruition.

It went through some changes. We realized it would work better as a webseries than a single film, then realized that the timing meant that we didn't actually have enough people to do it. Sad. Would have been awesome.

They did, sort of: Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport.  I just checked, and you can watch it on YouTube for three bucks.  It won an Oscar for best documentary.  Nicholas Winton himself is in it.

I will have to check it out.  I had not heard that they had made a movie of him.  Thanks.

I would like to see a movie based on Jeff Wayne's, War of the Worlds musical.  Also a remake of Frank Norris', Greed. A fun film would be a parody of Triumph of Will but focus on North Korea. Plus a good film adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft. I would like to see The Dunwich Horror, Color of Space, Shunned House, The Strange Case of Dexter Ward. Not sure if there is anything by Albert Camus that has been put to film but would love to see, The Plague or The Stranger.

I'm still waiting for a Carmen Sandiego movie. It would be presented in a format similar to the Law and Order series (scenes jumping from one location to the next with the Interpol detective interviewing random people). The plot would be something along the lines of a rookie Interpol cop flies solo on his first assignment after he discovers his partner is in the middle of an organized crime syndicate known for stealing various national treasures. Now working outside the rules, he's on a deadline to find out who is ultimately behind all of it and why. The film climaxes atop the Statue of Liberty where the criminal mastermind ups the ante to steal America's beloved monument! I call it Gumshoe (or Gumshoes if you want 2 rookies working together, I can live with that).

Unfortunately, I'm not a reader, and I've tried so many times. I am a gamer, though, and I've heard that the video game Uncharted is in the works to be a motion picture in 2016. Got my fingers crossed for this one! I'm really hoping they cast the right actor for Nathan Drake, and preferably, not someone so well known but someone under the radar a bit. On Popsugar they have a list of 38 books that are due to be movies in 2015. I haven't checked out the list, mostly because I just don't read. I know purists like to keep their books as books but in the past a few of you have mentioned that the movie was actually better than the book.

So any books, video games, comics, or plays that you think would make a great movie? Who'd you like to see cast in the leading roles?

Games I would like to see turned into movies, well done

I wish Tron 2.0 got more inclusion into the recent sequel. As a sequel I think the game was actually really well done to that end... especially as a firstperson shooter style. its probably the only shooter shooter that was actually family friendly but also extremely refreshing in the genre (seriously its the old tron movie, on steroids- and did a wayyyy better job of intrepreting the computer world as an abstract physical world). AI was cruel brutal in reflex and accuracy tho so youhad to learn how to hide and use the DISC very quick to reflect shots or get derezzed.. a lot.

I would wish Marathon would get made into a movie however thered be lots of bug guts, and the the simulcrum humans wouldn't be very family friendly.... but the only AI Personality that comes close to the main one in those games is probably the one from system shock 2.

Wing commander. a proper conversion, not something with the name slapped over it.

Baldur's gate series (forgotten realms has a plethora of good source material, see the exile trilogy by ra salvatore).

Independance war, Freespace 1 and/or 2

Books I'd love to see get converted;

anything by timothy Zahn, especially his conqueror series. Fave scene would have to be when corvine pilots are afterburning towards the enemy at treetop level jinking between the taller trees.

Exile trilogy by RA slavatore that take place in the forgotten realms universe.

Would like to see the foundation trilogy done, as well as the caves of steel trilogy.

would love to see a Lucky Starr series.

Would like to see certain Man-Kzin Wars shorts be made into films... it would be sweet to see if the producer could pull off rendering an einsteinian space battle where distances are in the AUs and and light lag is taken into consideration.... however it would have to be done carefully.

• 3 months later...

I have a screenplay in mind for the first two books of Nephi. Anyone know a good director/producer team and have access to, say, $5 million in funding?

Vort,

I don't know anyone who would or could corral investment money for a film based on the mere idea of a screenplay.

But I do know a director/producer who might be able to stir up funding to produce a film like that if there was a great screenplay to work with. He has over two dozen movie credits to his name, some of which you would probably readily recognize. I'd encourage you to consider writing your screenplay (if that's something you'd feel anxiously engaged to do), and then I'd be more than happy to put you in touch with him.

I wish you the best on your writing project if that's what you choose to pursue.

Regards,

Hagoth

anything by timothy Zahn, especially his conqueror series. Fave scene would have to be when corvine pilots are afterburning towards the enemy at treetop level jinking between the taller trees.

Exile trilogy by RA slavatore that take place in the forgotten realms universe.

ZAHN! Yes! Gotta do the Thrawn Series! Except... it's Disney now, so not yet sure how they do with the Star Wars Universe.

On Salvatorre, gotta go beyond Exile - we need Bruenor Battlehammer!

C.S. Lewis' sci fi series, Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength. The worlds are so imaginative that I think it might need to be an animated series, but I would love to see what some talented filmmakers who are also fans of the books might be able to do with those stories.

Some billionaire needs to cut Alejandro Jodorowsky a check for 800 million dollars and let him make his 15 hour version of "Dune."

Also, I was going to say that somebody needs to make a biopic about Jaco Pastorius.. But it looks like Metallica bassist, Robert Trujillo, has done so.. So I guess I'm going to go looking for that.

sounds familiar, whats the summary of the story?

It's about Corrie Ten Boom's experiences as a Christian in WWII hiding Jews from the Nazis and getting put in the concentration camps for it.

• 4 weeks later...

BOOKS:

The Book of Swords saga by Fred Saberhagen (with the success of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies, I believe making a movie of at least the first three books is an imperative)

GAMES:

Someone has GOT to make a movie out of the first three games in the Thief series.  I'd also like to see a movie made out of The Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind.  Great back story, but informing the plot with all the lore could be difficult to do without being boring.

NON FICTION:

If it could be done right (with respect, honesty, and a LOT of detail), a movie about the life of Joseph Smith Jr. would be nice.  Too many attempts without too few details to meet my expectations though.