Gun opinions

bytor2112

Last year I got my conceal carry  permit. A brother at the church was teaching the class, so I decided to take the class. I had not owned or fired a handgun in about 15 years....maybe more and the only handgun I had previously owned was an inexpensive Llama .45 1911 style semi-auto. 

So, I decided I would like to start shooting on a regular basis and maybe even carry sometimes.I purchased a Sig Saur Sp2022 in 9mm. Sig Saur makes excellent handguns, most notably the all stainless P models, like the P226 used by the Navy Seals. I opted the polymer version, which is also the side arm Sig contracted to make for the French Police to be used for 20 years until year 2022....hence the name, SP2022. It is a nice DA/SA hammer fired weapon, with a 15 plus 1 capacity and a decocker.I like it alot, but may trade it for the stainless P226...or keep and buy it anyways.

I also purchased a Taurus Tracker in .357 with a 4 inch barrel. Nice looking gun and fun to shoot, but, the cylinder has froze up on it a couple of times after firing and apparently this has been an issue with this gun. It may be traded soon.

I also have a Ruger LCR chambered for .357. This is an ultra lite polymer revolver that I CCW in a Fobus holster. Very nice little piece. I may acquire a Kahr CM9 for CCw as well.

I am also looking for a striker fired semi and am considering the following in this order:

1. H&K VP9

2. Sig P320

3. Glock 17

Any thought or suggestions....I know Mirkwood loves Glock :-)

Edited by bytor2112

If you intend to carry for personal protection - why a hand gun???  If I am protecting anyone in an urban setting I want access to a 12 gauge multi load shotgun.  Sorry – like “Quigley Down Under” – I do not have much use for or faith in hand guns.

I'd like to have a gun again but I live in an apartment and my fear is that if I needed to use it to defend my family or myself, I might miss and injure someone on the other side of the ridiculously thin walls.

Instead, I have a 75 lb. draw hunting bow.  Not the ideal weapon for home defense, but better than nothing.

I'd like to have a gun again but I live in an apartment and my fear is that if I needed to use it to defend my family or myself, I might miss and injure someone on the other side of the ridiculously thin walls.

Instead, I have a 75 lb. draw hunting bow.  Not the ideal weapon for home defense, but better than nothing.

If you have a handgun and purchase the right kind of ammo it won't go thru walls. I am not a gun expert but have a brother that is. He informed me of some ammo to buy so what you mentioned would not happen.

My wife and I have our CCW. We currently have a Luger 9mm semi with a laser. It's a small gun and fits my wife's hand perfectly. Will be buying another one soon for me.

LC9? Ruger upgraded the LC9 recent;y and changed it to a striker fired gun...LC9s, much better trigger. Check out the Kahr CM9....sweet single stack 9 with an excellent trigger.

Edited by bytor2112

If you have a handgun and purchase the right kind of ammo it won't go thru walls. I am not a gun expert but have a brother that is. He informed me of some ammo to buy so what you mentioned would not happen.

Yeah I'd thought of that, and my wife is planning to get a .38 for that purpose.  I'm just planning to get another .45 and I just don't feel willing to risk it... In my living room, the line of sight I'd be firing at is a bedroom on the other side of the wall.  I don't doubt the ammo you're talking about would probably be fine, I'm just choosing to err on the side of caution.

Yeah I'd thought of that, and my wife is planning to get a .38 for that purpose.  I'm just planning to get another .45 and I just don't feel willing to risk it... In my living room, the line of sight I'd be firing at is a bedroom on the other side of the wall.  I don't doubt the ammo you're talking about would probably be fine, I'm just choosing to err on the side of caution.

The ammo I am talking about does not penetrate thru walls.

I've focused on one gun, one holster, one right way to do things.  My duty - gun only exists in three places: My person, locked in my car, or in the gun safe.  If it's anywhere else, I'm failing in my duty and being an irresponsible gun owner.  

I focus on mindset.  I think about all the times I'd much rather risk injury than use my firearm.  Me and my family go with this: 80 ways to not be there in the first place, 10 ways to run the other way, 6 ways to hide, 4 ways to take action to stop the threat.

Wife and I went with matching Glock 26's.  After gathering eight bajillion opinions from countless people, I found more value in 9mm low cost, lower kick, specialty ammo's effectiveness, and Glock's quality, smaller frame, and easy maintenance than I did in the valid selling points of other setups.

I find myself unable to enjoy shooting and carrying like other folks.  The weighty matters are just too sobering for me.  But while there may not be a lot of fun involved, there is plenty of resolve and confidence.

What sort of ammo penetrates people but not drywall? (I'm not being snarky, honestly asking.)

Bullets designed to fragment on impact have a low penetration danger. .223 as I understand excels at not penetrating stuff so long as the bullet is moving fast enough to fragment. It fragments a little too much and doesn't penetrate deeply into a person loosing wounding power but at least you aren't shooting the neighbors kids through the wall.

Yes that round is shot from a rifle, and most handguns punch right through drywall.

Yeah, see that's my thing I plan on eventually getting another M1911A1 that fires .45 ACP, so if that ammo is available in that type of round I'm okay to get it.  The only other caveat being that M1911A1s are somewhat sensitive to the shape of the round.  My old Colt M1911A1 didn't like anything except regular ball ammo.

Yeah, see that's my thing I plan on eventually getting another M1911A1 that fires .45 ACP, so if that ammo is available in that type of round I'm okay to get it.  The only other caveat being that M1911A1s are somewhat sensitive to the shape of the round.  My old Colt M1911A1 didn't like anything except regular ball ammo.

Most modern 1911's eat pretty much anything you feed them.