It's Official. My kids cause Global Warming.

Our 6th year of snow hunting... we drove from Florida all the way to New Hampshire where my cousin guaranteed snow on Christmas... has been snowing on Christmas for the past 20 years.  And this is what we woke up to on Christmas morning:

09199D01-FFBA-4B3A-97B6-CD89C5517978_zps

It's 50 degrees here.

So, my cousin is driving us up the mountain (1.5 hour drive) to the ski resort that at least has a thick layer of snow on the ground even when it's not snowing.  Yeay.

Thank you for this anatess. Next time I'm in a discussion about the causes of global warming, I'll be able to say "It's all the fault of Anatess's kids. :) If this is indeed the case, I'm hoping for your kids' sake that this doesn't mean that the cure for global warming is to eliminate the cause. I also suspect that the vehicle which conveyed you from Florida to New Hampshire might also have made a bit of a small contribution.  :)

Are you going to ski if there is snow ??

We only planned to see and feel and roll in the snow.  My family has never been on a ski slope... I lived in Cleveland for a while before I met my husband but the only thing I've ever done was go sledding and ice fishing at the public park.

So... we went to Gunstock Mountain Resort and this is the ski slope:

FE2AD19C-F63A-49C4-9402-24179D0D6901_zps

There's a lot of dirt but there was snow and they had snow-making machines to put more snow - the resort staff were on the slopes in t-shirts!  We were, of course, bundled up like Eskimos because it was in the high 40's and that to us is very very cold.  So there was still a lot of ski-ing and snowboarding and snow-tubing and it was AWESOME!

But, my younger kid did the snow-tubing - there was not enough snow to go all the way up the mountain, so the snow-tubing lanes were only half-way up which is still fun for me but was not as exciting for my kid as THIS:

[/video]

My other kid wants to try snowboarding but there were no lessons offered.  My kid says - but I can skateboard, it shouldn't be that hard - and I'm like, uhm... I'm really trying to avoid a trip to the ER in New Hampshire so let's just stick with the snowtubes.  And of course, my husband goes - just let the kid snowboard, he'll be fine, and they have paramedics here.  Yeah, that is classic Mr. and Mrs. Anatess conflict right there... Fortunately, the guy who rented out the boards was a Floridian so he spent extra time telling my kid how to handle the snowboard going up the lift and what to do when the lift reaches the top and how to slow the board going down the slope and how to steer, etc, while he was fitting him in the room with all the boards... Well, surprise, surprise... my kid can actually snowboard too.  This is his 3rd run down the steeper beginner slope which almost gave me a heart attack!  You will hear me squeak and at that point my heart got lodged up my throat and I stopped breathing...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3dtHK8Fzf0

We spent 2 days in Gunstock and then went to visit more family.  Camelback Resort - where we scheduled to go next - was closed... not enough snow! - so my heart was safe for the rest of the trip.

Anyway, this was one Fantabulous Winter Vacation!  It was the perfect mix of safe and easy driving, visiting lots of family, and experiencing new adventures - including a Christmas Eve service at the Born Again church which was like going to a Religious and Worshipful Christmas Rock Concert.... and a bit of SNOW!

Edited by anatess