What was your favourite gift this year?

Bini

What was your favourite spiritual/sentimental gift and favourite temporal/material gift this year?

My favourite sentimental gift was from my 3-year old daughter. She made me and my husband the cutest little snowman decoration, and wrapped it up herself too. Even though it's seasonal, I'll probably have it displayed all year, until she makes something new next Holiday. And my favourite material gift was a hand vacuum for the stairs! Love love love it! I've tried all those lightweight upright vacuums on the stairs and they're just super difficult for me to maneuver on there, so big hurrah for the hand vacuum, and I don't care what the rule is about not giving household appliances as gifts - I am so grateful for this little hand vacuum, ha!

We talked to my second son, currently serving a mission in Indiana. That was the highlight of the day.

As a new (yet old) Scoutmaster, fat, out of shape, and with little experience, I was excited to get hi-tech thermal underwear and wool socks. I also got two new white shirts, which I desperately needed. So I'm feeling like I made out like a bandit.

... my grandson, about a year and a half old, laughing at the muppets version of Bohemian Rhapsody.. especially the part where Animal sings "MAMMA!..." .We were all watching,smiling, silently and then the little guy just busts up laughing without any of our prompting when Animal sings his part... too cute..  can't put a price on moments like that...  :)

Edited by theSQUIDSTER

I had received a new turn table for my birthday last year but it had never been connected to the Bose speaker, so I couldn't use it. On Christmas morning we were waiting for my niece and her husband to come over and I'm sitting, doing something (can't remember what) and I start hearing Linda Ronstadt singing a familiar song. I look up and everyone is looking at me and I say, "This sounds like Linda Ronstadt" and everyone points at the record playing on my turn table. It was a wonderful surprise.

M.

We got a new tower for our home computer....all my kids and their spouses were visiting in laws. We are getting together for our family Christmas on New Years Day. One of my highlights would be ...I was asked to speak in our Christmas Program this past Sunday. I was the only speaker and we had nothing but music other than a speaker. I shared the story from James E Faust. It was a First Presidency Message from December of 2001. It was titled A Christmas without Presents. Very very good and touching.

My 10 year old painted a poster sized picture of me and her together holding hands.  It was astonishingly beautiful.  Maybe it's because she is budding as a little artist, or maybe I could feel the emotion she used to paint it. All I know is that tears flowed out of my eyes as I took it all in.

Best present ever because it came right from her tender little heart into mine.  

My 10 year old painted a poster sized picture of me and her together holding hands.  It was astonishingly beautiful.  Maybe it's because she is budding as a little artist, or maybe I could feel the emotion she used to paint it. All I know is that tears flowed out of my eyes as I took it all in.

Best present ever because it came right from her tender little heart into mine.  

Can you put up a photo of it?

Guest LiterateParakeet

This will probably sound very cliche...but it was having all three of my kids home for Christmas. All at the same time.  I loved having all of them there.

Pam, my first son is on a mission and the second will be gone next Christmas.  Being at this stage of life where they are starting to leave the home is so hard.  So I don't think your response was cliche at all!  

What was your favourite spiritual/sentimental gift and favourite temporal/material gift this year?

Spiritual/sentimental...this is probably TMI for some, but I feel better emotionally this year than I have for years.  And realizing that I couldn't help but reflect back on the year I was suicidal at Christmas.  So grateful to have some distance from that pain/angony.

Also talking to my missionary son...he is so happy, and more at peace than I have ever seen him.  Awesome!

Material...I FINALLY got my first Smart Phone and I couldn't be happier.  Such a fun toy....er....tool.

Spiritual - my family knows how I love the beach and doesn't much care for snow... we were in New Hampshire for Christmas and there was no snow... which was a bummer because my kids really really really really wanted to experience snow... but my SAD was in full swing because being so up north, the sun rises at 7AM and sets at 4PM - too short for my psyche... I was getting fatigued.  Anyway, instead of going up to the mountain ski resort to find snow, my family (including my aunt's family that we stayed with) decided to drive to the coast instead and we sat on the beach with a picnic basket and just enjoyed the sound and beauty of God's creation - all for me.

Material - my husband got me a folding, super comfy chair... yes, a chair.  It's a big chair and I'm a small woman so I can curl and get swallowed by the chair...  He usually gets me expensive stuff - like the latest Apple gadget or expensive shoes and such because I love those things too... but this year, he only got me ONE thing.  This chair.  And I am super in love with it.  Why you ask?  Because I'm always curled up on the floor infront of the fireplace because I can't get enough heat.  Yes - our fireplace in Florida - which is blazing when the temperature drops below 70 - which can happen even in May...  now I can just pop open the chair and curl up in it with my book right next to the fire... then pop it closed to store right behind the big couch... it's PERFECT.  It's AWESOME... and it's sooo cool that my husband doesn't buy me things according to how much it costs but according to what I really need... so he didn't care that my brother teased him for spending only 30 bucks on me this year...

Edited by anatess

Ah yes, the Lords Spiritual and Lords Temporal.  What great titles those are.  As a self-employed person, I am tempted to print up some business cards showing my title as the Lord Spiritual and Temporal of my business.

I gave my mom a new iMac for Christmas, and her elation comes close to something spiritual.  My favourite temporal gift would be a chunk of antler that I got for my mom's dog as a chew toy.  It was hideously expensive so it must have come from a real deer or elk.  The dog sniffed it and gave me a mournful look that seemed to say, "You spent $35 on that?"