Are we seeing the end of Internet Explorer?

pam

I hated unity at first too, the newest LTS release of Ubuntu has tidied up quite a bit though it's still the most resource heavy environment out there. I've grown to love it.

I tried OpenSuse and Fedora, it just didn't feel like home to me. So I run an Ubuntu desktop and an Ubuntu headless server (CLI). I have a netbook that has Lubuntu on it. I really did feel like OpenSuse's repos where a barren waste land, I was probably just not familer with their way of doing things.

I would love for microsoft turn their broswer to a more open standard. I think everyone would benefit.

I used to run Linux servers (Ubuntu) in my house, but I got tired of paying through the nose for static IPs.  Moved everything to Digital Ocean and I love it.  Those "droplets" there (virtual private servers) are my own little sanity zone.  No Microsoft software, and the fans don't get clogged with my cat's fur.  What more could anyone ask for?

I used to run Linux servers (Ubuntu) in my house, but I got tired of paying through the nose for static IPs. Moved everything to Digital Ocean and I love it. Those "droplets" there (virtual private servers) are my own little sanity zone. No Microsoft software, and the fans don't get clogged with my cat's fur. What more could anyone ask for?

I've considered paying for cloud servers for personal use (testing etc), but there is something satisfying about having your own physical infrastructure that I just can't get from the cloud. Especially seeing as many cloud providers likely do all the switching and routing configuration for you, which isn't something I want.

It's true that static IPs can be expensive (although things should change in that regard once IPV6 becomes the norm), but other than that, you can get the physical equipment (servers, routers, switches etc) at a fairly low cost, especially if you utilize virtualisation like VMWare, which is free (unless you're looking for heavy DR).

That plus I'm currently unemployed and need something to occupy my time ;)

Also, with many ISPs, if you keep your border router switched on 24/7 like most people, you end up with the same IP for months at a time. I find this suits my purposes.

Edited by Mahone

I agree, but I live just a few miles from the San Andreas fault and I periodically feel earthquakes.  Makes me nervous about running servers in my home office.  Of course, I found out recently that my virtual servers are physically located just 2 miles from my house, but they do real backups.

I have one Windows machine left that I could convert to a server, but I just cannot stomach the command window in Windows.  Whenever I use it I feel like a middle-school student.

That plus I'm currently unemployed and need something to occupy my time ;)

A while back I told a good friend (a Ph.D. in math) that I was between jobs and needed something to occupy my time. His answer, and I quote: "You could use your time to master unusual skills in computation, such as memorizing the square roots of very large numbers."  So I'm happy to pass along the suggestion to you...

I have one Windows machine left that I could convert to a server, but I just cannot stomach the command window in Windows. Whenever I use it I feel like a middle-school student

How so? Too easy to use, or the fact that there is so much you can't do in it (required to use the GUI)?

I will bear your friends advice in mind ;)

Edited by Mahone

It's just that whenever I use the Windows command shell (do they call it a shell?) I feel like I'm writing a long poem with a keyboard that has no "E" key.  Yecccch.  I know some people who use this awful thing called Cygwin, but I refuse, and I simply tell prospective clients that if they hire me I don't do Windows.

I've seen a few people use powershell. From the looks it's actually pretty similar to a Linux shell in capabilities....just the Microsoft branded way of doing things.

There was/is some malware moving about that uses/used powershell scripting to propagate amongst windows servers.

I find myself seriously skeptical that Spartan support for proper standard-based CSS and the like will be any better.

I have confidence that if it does not, any groundbreaking well-liked features will be shortly replicated in Firefox and/or Chromium, and Spartan will not regain Internet Explorers once large user base.

Could you all start speaking English?   :P   At least I understood Internet Explorer.

Well... I'm a developer... and I could say the same thing... sad, isn't it?

Edited by anatess

btw, I installed CentOS 7 on my home server last night just to try it out. Yum *is* a barren wasteland compared to apt-get :[, the voiceserver I use, mumble, isn't available as a rpm that works with centos.

Apparently Redhat dropped support for the forcedeth driver, which happens to be needed for my nic. So I had to manually download the rpm to a usb key and install the driver. :[

CentOS minimal install really lives up to it's name, no vim (well there was vi), no wget, no lspci (which gave me trouble when I was trying to figure out my chipset to get the driver manually), no ifconfig (being an Ubuntu user this threw me through a loop, apparently I live in a cave and iproute2 is the new stuff in linux), the installer for the minimal install required a mouse, I thought this was odd, I had to go find a mouse. I wouldn't think to ever attach a mouse to a command-line only server.

My install experience was unpleasant, but nothing that was too bad. My first step is to get mumble up and running, I'm rather surprised no on has packaged it for CentOS really. Mumble's instructions involve disabling SELinux... I'm only slightly familiar with apparmour, it sounds like I'll have to learn a little SELinux to get mumble running, I don't like the idea of turning it off.

Perhaps I should just try out fedora, it at least has my precious mumble packaged and in it's repos.

I was going to bring up Betamax, but it's different from MS/Apple, in that it actually was better than VHS.  Only its proprietary nature effectively killed it for all but the high-end video production market.

I'm not completely sure where apple stands in your analogy, but if you mean that you think they provide superior products to Microsoft, I'd have to respectfully disagree for the most part. OSX and many other apple products are fantastic in a domestic environment with a very simple setup, and it's these environments that most of their fan base are found. But try and do anything remotely complex with them and they fall over horribly, despite what Apple claim they can do. Only one operating system has kept me at work until 4 in the morning for several days in a row while on a new network install, and it wasn't windows or *nix.

For anyone that knows network routing protocols, in my mind OSX is like RIP - it's simple to configure and use but can only deal with the basics before falling over. Windows is like OSPF, it works well in both small and large environments, but can be more complex to set up if you want it to work well in those larger environments. Linux is like BGP. It's a little clunky sometimes and can be complex, but it's the workhorse of all routing protocols and can handle considerably more being thrown at it than either of the two above, hence why it's the routing protocol used for the internet.

Edited by Mahone