Top of the Morning to ye.

Daraamanthas

Top of the Morning to you all,

I just found this forum by searching far a way to contact the Church Translation Department.  I am a 20 year veteran, retiring next year. While this new transition takes place, I am seeking positions as a translator / interpreter or language instructor.  My father worked as a grounds keeper and custodian many years ago at the Mesa and Logan Temples and various meeting houses in Oregon and Arizona.  I want to follow his example by working for the Church, but, using my own special talent for language.   Is there anyone here that can help?

Dave Davis

Top of the Morning to you all,

I just found this forum by searching far a way to contact the Church Translation Department.  I am a 20 year veteran, retiring next year. While this new transition takes place, I am seeking positions as a translator / interpreter or language instructor.  My father worked as a grounds keeper and custodian many years ago at the Mesa and Logan Temples and various meeting houses in Oregon and Arizona.  I want to follow his example by working for the Church, but, using my own special talent for language.   Is there anyone here that can help?

Dave Davis

I'd like to know which language or languages you speak, and which language is your native one. 

Tóhaŋni waŋžíla iyápi iyóhi šni, yeló.  h0304.gif  One language is never enough, yelo.

Edited by JimmiGerman

I am fluent in Spanish (both my favorite and my Mission Language), The Army trained me in French, I can read and understand Brazilian Portuguese, read some Italian, and I am currently studying German for my son.  He assures me he is going to Germany on his Mission.

My native language: American English

I am fluent in Spanish (both my favorite and my Mission Language), The Army trained me in French, I can read and understand Brazilian Portuguese, read some Italian, and I am currently studying German for my son.  He assures me he is going to Germany on his Mission.

My native language: American English

Hmmm... I've heard the new Pope speaks even more languages...  but it seems to be all right.  smiley-eatdrink005.gif

By the way, if your son is going to go to Germany on his mission, I would recommend better him to learn German instead of you.  Or will you accompany him as a translator? 

ring-ring... 

"Ja, bitte?"

Son: "Hallo, wir ha'm... ein frohn Botschaft... for Ihnen!"

Father: "Entschuldigung, dass ich dazwischenrede, ich bin der Vater:  wir haben eine frohe Botschaft für Sie!"

("Excuse me, that I interrupt, I am the father: we have a glad message for you!")

Edited by JimmiGerman

When I was at BYU, the guy next door was a Swiss RM. He said in Schweizerdeutsch, the conversation would go as follows:

Wie geht's?

Jaaaa, jaaaa, daaaanke.

Yup, that's also my experience.

In the following video, the woman in the red dress asks the (Swiss?) man with the accordion who the best yodeler in the world is.  (And do watch the video.  It shows a really awesome yodeler named Franzl Lang who has more teeth than anyone I've ever seen.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67rc96joOz8

I applied with the church about a year and a half ago for a job that I really thought I qualified greatly for. I didn't even get an interview. When I was applying, I noticed lessor grade paying positions within the same department, there were several of those positions open. This told me that that there were probably people that had been working there, maybe even for a while that would be applying for that same position. 

My father worked for the church for a very long time and was at that time currently employed there. When I talked to him about applying for the position, the first thing he told me was that the church hires/promotes heavily from within and even though someone from outside qualified more than an internal candidate, as long as the internal qualified, they would most likely hire from within. 

I am all for that concept, when I already work for a company :)   It was obviously not to my advantage. I don't know for sure, but I tend to steer towards that explanation. It could have been a fairly smooth and easy transition from my then current employment. Perhaps I also believe that to make myself feel better about the rejection. 

That is my dealing. Not sure if that helps or not, but there it is. Good luck!