Need movie recs from parents with wee ones.

Bini

Considering Annie, Into The Woods, Night At The Museum: Secret of The Tomb, and Penguins of Madagascar for our 3-year old. I can tell you which one I'd prefer to see out of the lot, but that's mostly irrelevant, as we just need something not too heavy and engaging for our toddler. (I really wish we could take her to see the newest Hobbit but I know that's just too intense for her at this stage, boo!) We're not concerned about crowds, as we're going to try and hit a matinee on a week day, and avoid the masses. So, if you've recently taken your 5 and under crowd to a movie, what was it, and do you recommend it? I think I've listed all of the kiddie movies but maybe not.

Out of those, the only ones I'd consider taking my 3-year-olds to would be Penguins and maybe Annie. Otherwise I'm paying $10 a head to go from the theater to the lobby a zillion times :)

Penguins.

Even Annie may just flow over the head of the 3-year old...

All the others are too "old" for her.

Yeah, this year's Christmas pickings for the youngsters are pretty sparse.

I'd just bypass the theater altogether and dig up some oldies for the DVD player...

I don't think you have to understand the plot of a movie to enjoy it. I think most Disney movies are too grown up for kids under 6. But they're bright and paced well. We have Night At The Musuem and my daughter loved it. She loved the big scary dinosaur and the idea of statues coming to life. It was really intriguing to her. We've narrowed it down to NATM 2 and the Penguins of Madagascar.

I don't think you have to understand the plot of a movie to enjoy it. I think most Disney movies are too grown up for kids under 6. But they're bright and paced well. We have Night At The Musuem and my daughter loved it. She loved the big scary dinosaur and the idea of statues coming to life. It was really intriguing to her. We've narrowed it down to NATM 2 and the Penguins of Madagascar.

It's not the plot I'm talking about.  It's the spacing between interesting-for-the-wee-ones things.  Going to the theater is a very different experience than watching NATM at home.  There are more interesting things to see outside of the big screen in a movie theater that, at least for my kids at that age, would cause them to bolt out their chairs to go check out those other things unless what's on the big screen is continuously more captivating.  Watching the movie at home... well, the TV is more interesting than trying to stick their fingers in the electrical socket for the umpteenth time.

Edited by anatess

My 3-year-olds were enchanted by the original Annie. They loved the music, dancing, kids, dog. . .

Mine couldn't sit still long enough to wait for Punjab to do something... and we were watching it on DVD.  But then, it could be that they're boys...

Pay for a babysitter, go with your husband, and put in her favorite movie at home.  I never took my children to the theatre at that age for two reasons. 

1 Attention span.  A three year old cannot pay attention to a movie for that long and will either become fussy/talkative (annoying other moviegoers) or sleep through most og the movie (wasting the money spent.

2 The volumn in the theatre is WAAAAAYYY to loud for the developing ears of a child that young.

Just my opinion a s a father of three boys.

Better yet, leet her plan the evening's activities and FOLLOW THROUGH with them.  Be the parent though, don't let her take you skydiving or such. ;)

2 The volumn in the theatre is WAAAAAYYY to loud for the developing ears of a child that young.

My wife took me to see the third Hobbit movie for the weekend after my birthday (three days ago). The next time I go to see a movie in a theater, I dearly hope I remember to bring my wax earplugs, because if I experience many more movies like the one I saw Friday, I very seriously might end up going deaf.

My wife took me to see the third Hobbit movie for the weekend after my birthday (three days ago). The next time I go to see a movie in a theater, I dearly hope I remember to bring my wax earplugs, because if I experience many more movies like the one I saw Friday, I very seriously might end up going deaf.

Yes, some theatre rooms are much louder than others. I have found that not all are bad. I would say most times, the volume is at a good level, but I suppose that's debatable as everyone's tolerance level is different.

I remember going to my first concert with friends. I didn't know what to expect or what preparations were needed. I noticed lots of people had green earplugs dangling around their necks. I thought to myself, "Gees what wimps! Come on people!", then once the music started - I regretted not having got some myself. I didn't want to get up from my seat and buy some once it'd already started. But yeh, super loud, and my ears were ringing for a day or so after, as well.

Don't watch Interstellar!

She has been to the cinema many times now and we haven't had to take her out, nor is she disruptive, she does great. We saw Night At The Museum and she LOVED it.

Girl, I don't know why you're asking us for advice... you know your daughter better than we know her and she sounds like she is not like any normal 3-year-old.

Anatess, I'm responding to the "flow over the head" comment. I understand that phrase as "not getting it".

Yes, that's what I meant... she's not gonna get the story, she's not gonna get what's fun about the things in-between the set pieces because there's no reason for her to wait until the next exciting thing happens... so she will have a relatively long wait between set pieces, which... if she was like my kids... wouldn't hold her in her seat before the next set piece comes up.

But, obviously, she's not like regular 3-year-olds...

Girl, I don't know why you're asking us for advice... you know your daughter better than we know her and she sounds like she is not like any normal 3-year-old.

Yes, I do know my daughter better than anyone on here, that's why I listed specific movies I thought she'd be able to handle, and inquired which of those other parents recommended for a young child. I believe my main post was clear on that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "any normal 3-year old"? Just because I don't have issues with her in the cinema doesn't mean she isn't normal. She just does well, perhaps, she's a little more mature than others in her age group in this regard. I don't know. I do know she's a healthy and happy child :)

Yes, I do know my daughter better than anyone on here, that's why I listed specific movies I thought she'd be able to handle, and inquired which of those other parents recommended for a young child. I believe my main post was clear on that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "any normal 3-year old"? Just because I don't have issues with her in the cinema doesn't mean she isn't normal. She just does well, perhaps, she's a little more mature than others in her age group in this regard. I don't know. I do know she's a healthy and happy child :)

I give up.  My English and your English are not converging on the same plane.

I gave you my advice early on this thread... of course, I can only base it on what I know of 3-year-olds.  You don't have to consider it if it doesn't apply to you.

Edited by anatess

I give up.  My English and your English are not converging on the same plane.

I gave you my advice early on this thread... of course, I can only base it on what I know of 3-year-olds.  You don't have to consider it if it doesn't apply to you.

What the heck is eating you? You sound bitter, gees. I asked a question because your previous posts read like "eye rolls".  See ya, Anatess.

What the heck is eating you? You sound bitter, gees. I asked a question because your previous posts read like "eye rolls".  See ya, Anatess.

I just said the exact same thing before I wrote my last post to this one.  Welcome to the internet... where serious answers to people asking for advice get read as "eye rolls".  Oh well.  Back to catching up on the latest Sherbet entry.

Edited by anatess

Pay for a babysitter, go with your husband, and put in her favorite movie at home.  I never took my children to the theatre at that age for two reasons. 

1 Attention span.  A three year old cannot pay attention to a movie for that long and will either become fussy/talkative (annoying other moviegoers) or sleep through most og the movie (wasting the money spent....

I so disagree. We would take our daughter that age to double features (usually Disney movies) and she enjoyed and was captivated by them. Kids are smarter than they're given credit for.

M.  

I so disagree. We would take our daughter that age to double features (usually Disney movies) and she enjoyed and was captivated by them. Kids are smarter than they're given credit for.

M.

The very first time we considered taking our daughter, we were sceptical, and did the dollar cinemas for the first few. She did great! She wasn't fussy, we didn't have to take her out. Sometimes daddy will hold her, but most of the time she prefers to watch from her own seat. Now, if she was disruptive or showed no interest in watching movies in a cinema setting, we wouldn't take her. But she does well and we've been to the cinema many times now.