Mormon 9:27 -

tdbeezy

Chapter 9 of Mormon is an exhortation from Moroni to the future readers of the book his father and he have compiled. In that chapter, Moroni calls on the readers to repent. "Times of old" here refers to (I gather) the time of Christ, which even from Moroni's time looked pretty old (probably 350 years or more at the time Moroni wrote this), and certainly would look old to the readers of his text.

What that means to me, to "(begin) as in times of old", maybe more in reference to our individual lives, where when we are all young, we are both humble and earnest.  I suspect also from Moroni's perspective, our society is arrogant, and not dependent on the Lord.  To "begin", as in times of old maybe mean to return to our youth and also to the cultures of the past to start anew, come to the Lord in the humility of a child when it was culturally acceptable to do so.

Thanks for helping me gain better insight into what it means to begin as in times of old.

This morning I was also reading in the D&C and came across section 22 which speaks is answering the question of the need to be baptized in the restored church and about "a new and an everlasting covenant, even that which was from the beginning (vs 1). And then in verse three: "I have caused this last covenant and this church to be built up unto me, even as in days of old." 

This helps me to understand that entering into and keeping restored gospel covenants, beginning with baptism, is one way a person can "begin as in times of old".