So... Mitt Romney might run for President again....

He just said so...

I'm not sure yet what to think about it.

Anybody wanna share their opinion on this particular tidbit of news before he officially puts his name on the ballot and we can't talk about him anymore?

Guest MormonGator

I really like him and have voted for him several times. I've had the pleasure to sit down and talk with him for a few minutes privately during his run in 08. He was kind, a gentlemen and quite personable! 

That said, his time and passed and we need some fresh legs in the ring. 

Edited by MormonGator

It would be cool to see someone from our religion become president. At the same time regardless of how good or bad a president is they always seem to be criticized...and I can just see the criticism focusing on something other than policy....

He is certainly a better choice than some of the other candidates from his party that like to run for office. (imo) 

I don't think he can win so I can't support his running. I'd support a more conservative candidate, but haven't found one I think can win either. Conservatism can't fight the billion $ marketing machine that is the Democratic Party and the allied "free" press.

You won't find me commenting on political threads.  I should have left this with my first comment. <_<

I like Mitt a lot and think he could run a powerful "I-told-you-so" campaign, especially with regard to foreign policy. 

That said, I'm not impressed by the whispering campaign he seems to have been running these past six months--the "I won't run" "I won't run" "No, really--I won't run" "Well, I suppose it'll depend on who else runs" "I won't run if Jeb Bush runs" "It looks like Jeb Bush is running, but what the heck--I'll run anyways!" routine makes Romney look indecisive and disingenuous.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

He has been typecast as a silver-spoon aristocrat, and a lot of people will not vote for a Mormon, sadly.  He might succeed if he came up with some really daring proposals for addressing the wealth gap, which Democrats have successfully cemented into place as a major issue for 2016.  

Mitt was the main reason I started thinking about coming back to the Church, so I will always have a soft spot for him.  But to use an expression that George Will took from Barack Obama, I think we need a president with a new-car smell.

I've met him, he is a simply a good person. I think his motives are honestly to get the nation back on track so our children have something to look forward too. Out of all the candidates I think he is uniquely qualified to unify the nation and clean up the mess left by our current divider and chief.  

I really hope that the Democrats and Republicans reject the entrenched political hierarchy and we don't have to deal with a Clinton vs Bush election.

I read a hopeful article where Democrats are warming to term limits and are desiring to clean out the cobwebs as they see Republicans benefit from all of the fresh blood this last election.

Guest MormonGator

I really hope that the Democrats and Republicans reject the entrenched political hierarchy and we don't have to deal with a Clinton vs Bush election.

:D

Yup. 

I like the 2008 Primaries Mitt Romney.  He needs to go back to that Romney.

The problem is - he does not have the "base" solidly in his camp.  If he were to run again, he is going to get killed in the Primaries especially if he goes back to the 2008 Primaries Romney.  This will have to be a very strong solid grassroots ground game.  And he needs to fire his consultants...

I believe he's a good guy and clearly knows what he's about.  That said, he was all too successfully cast in a bad light for various reasons during his last try, so I'm not convinced he's got a strong chance.  To be honest, he does seem to come across as somewhat flipp-floppy when it comes to healthcare reform.  Not saying he is or isn't, only that it's how he comes across.

I believe he's a good guy and clearly knows what he's about.  That said, he was all too successfully cast in a bad light for various reasons during his last try, so I'm not convinced he's got a strong chance.  To be honest, he does seem to come across as somewhat flipp-floppy when it comes to healthcare reform.  Not saying he is or isn't, only that it's how he comes across.

That is because he tried to follow his "consultants" by trying to just sweep RomneyCare under the rug instead of very clearly defining - in ANY situation that it comes up - why RomneyCare is much better than ObamaCare and what RomneyCare is and is not...  He NEVER did try to do that.  Instead, he skirts around the issue trying to put distance between Romney and RomneyCare which is a very stupid move... because then, he can't put a clear solution-based campaign towards healthcare reform besides Repeal Obamacare.

Edited by anatess

I like the 2008 Primaries Mitt Romney.  He needs to go back to that Romney.

The problem is - he does not have the "base" solidly in his camp.  If he were to run again, he is going to get killed in the Primaries especially if he goes back to the 2008 Primaries Romney.  This will have to be a very strong solid grassroots ground game.  And he needs to fire his consultants...

GAH! NO! Romney needs to go back to being Governor Romney, the centrist technocratic problem-solver.

I loved Governor Romney. Governor Romney got things done.

There is some truth to the accusation that Romney seems to portray himself as different people, but Governor Romney was amazing.

D'oh. I really like Romney, but he really needed to frame things a specific way to win the primary. He shouldn't have had to because Primaries Romney lost Election Romney the election. Governor Romney should've walked away with the election, but bad people in the media and Primaries Romney alienated a lot of people.

GAH! NO! Romney needs to go back to being Governor Romney, the centrist technocratic problem-solver.

There is some truth to the accusation that Romney seems to portray himself as different people, but Governor Romney was amazing.

D'oh. I really like Romney, but he really needed to frame things a specific way to win the primary. He shouldn't have had to because Primaries Romney lost Election Romney the election. Governor Romney should've walked away with the election, but bad people in the media and Primaries Romney alienated a lot of people.

2008 Primaries Romney was Governor Romney.  2012 Primaries Romney still is recognizable as Governor Romney.  2012 Elections Romney was I'm-a-Republican,-honest! Romney... which sucked because the conservative consensus is that being a Tea Partier is much better than being a Republican.

Edited by anatess

You've almost got all of the far right crazies' talking points built in there.  It would have been perfect if you had managed a mention of Benghazi somehow.

2008 Primaries Romney was Governor Romney.  2012 Primaries Romney still is recognizable as Governor Romney.  2012 Elections Romney was I'm-a-Republican,-honest! Romney... which sucked because the conservative consensus is that being a Tea Partier is much better than being a Republican.

So the hierarchy is Republican < Tea Party < Democrat < Green Party < The Wear Tye Dye and Do Interpretive Dances to MOE's rapping Party ?

That looks about right to me. :D

So the hierarchy is Republican < Tea Party < Democrat < Green Party < The Wear Tye Dye and Do Interpretive Dances to MOE's rapping Party ?

That looks about right to me. :D

Hah hah... Democrat = poo.  They're worse than liberals... and in America liberals are almost poo (at least the way they define themselves).  I hold "true" Tea Partiers above them... and no, "true" Tea Partiers are not concerned about anything else besides taxes and government spending.

Edited by anatess

Hah hah... Democrat = poo.  They're worse than liberals... and in America liberals are almost poo (at least the way they define themselves).  I hold "true" Tea Partiers above them... and no, "true" Tea Partiers are not concerned about anything else besides taxes and government spending.

Well, at least you can engage in public discourse without insulting people, I guess....oh, wait.

Well, at least you can engage in public discourse without insulting people, I guess....oh, wait.

Hah hah... of course, that's what you would say.

Because, it's a very American thing to say tongue-in-cheek things and when somebody with an opposing view says tongue-in-cheek things right back then... oh, my onion-skin sensibilities are insulted!

Carry on...

Edited by anatess

Guest MormonGator

One thing great about Mitt is he gets the LDS name out there. I know of people who literally knew nothing about our church but said something like, "Oh that guy who ran for president-he's a member, right?" 

Hah hah... of course, that's what you would say.

Because, it's a very American thing to say tongue-in-cheek things and when somebody with an opposing view says tongue-in-cheek things right back then... oh, my onion-skin sensibilities are insulted!

Carry on...

That's right, because Tea Party < Tye Dye Wearing Interpretive Dancers is exactly the same kind of silly as "Democrats are poo."

MarginOfError, on 12 Jan 2015 - 3:22 PM, said:

You've almost got all of the far right crazies' talking points built in there.  It would have been perfect if you had managed a mention of Benghazi somehow.

is this Hypocrisy happening or is this like one of these political cover-up's that only exist in our imagination? 

Edited by Windseeker