So... Mitt Romney might run for President again....

Guest MormonGator

I love far right crazies!  One of my best friends is a far right crazy!

Yup. Most of my family and a few good friends are dyed in the wool liberals. We manage to get along just fine. 

My mother said it best. "I never thought I'd raise a libertarian"

Guest MormonGator

I get along just fine with my Republican and Conservative family, friends, and neighbours, as long as my opinion is not asked.

I hear you. I love talking about politics with my friends who disagree with me.  We always keep it civil and in the end, no one really cares. Diversity like that rules. 

One thing great about Mitt is he gets the LDS name out there. I know of people who literally knew nothing about our church but said something like, "Oh that guy who ran for president-he's a member, right?" 

Uhmm... Harry Reid is just as known as a Mormon as Romney is.  The LDS name has been out there... with or without Romney.

But you know, when I was Catholic, none of the Catholics I know ever made a big deal about any of the people running for President being "of our faith".

In my opinion, a politician's religious affiliation is towards the bottom of the "consider this" rung.  I mean, yeah, a lot of people did not vote for Romney because he was Mormon... but I doubt a lot of Mormons are going to vote for somebody who is, I don't know... Wiccan...

Guest MormonGator

Uhmm... Harry Reid is just as known as a Mormon as Romney is.  The LDS name has been out there... with or without Romney.

It is, but in America much more people pay attention to the presidential elections than the senatorial elections, especially those that are not in their state. I live in a state far, far away from Nevada and I assure you that more people know of Romney being LDS then who Harry Reid even is. 

Tragically, in America few people even know who their OWN senators and congressmen are.

Edited by MormonGator

Uhmm... Harry Reid is just as known as a Mormon as Romney is. The LDS name has been out there... with or without Romney.

But you know, when I was Catholic, none of the Catholics I know ever made a big deal about any of the people running for President being "of our faith".

In my opinion, a politician's religious affiliation is towards the bottom of the "consider this" rung. I mean, yeah, a lot of people did not vote for Romney because he was Mormon... but I doubt a lot of Mormons are going to vote for somebody who is, I don't know... Wiccan...

Almost no-one outside of the US knows who Harry Reid is. Mitt Romney on the other hand is well known internationally.

They may be tempted in 2016.  At the presidential level, the GOP is showing stunning diversity in race and religion.  Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Brian Sandoval, Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan, and Susana Martinez (I love her!) are all Catholics.  Mike Huckabee and Ted Cruz are Baptists.  Scott Walker and Rick Perry are some evangelical nondenominational thing, and of course Mitt is LDS.  Rand Paul and Donald Trump are Presbyterian.  Ben Carson is Seventh-day Adventist.

Guest MormonGator

They may be tempted in 2016.  At the presidential level, the GOP is showing stunning diversity in race and religion.  Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Brian Sandoval, Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan, and Susana Martinez (I love her!) are all Catholics.  Mike Huckabee and Ted Cruz are Baptists.  Scott Walker and Rick Perry are some evangelical nondenominational thing, and of course Mitt is LDS.  Rand Paul and Donald Trump are Presbyterian.  Ben Carson is Seventh-day Adventist.

I like Susana Martinez too. Her and Rand Paul are my two favorites. 

Sorry, I'm basically a high functioning Paulbot. 

Boom. Last time I looked there were like 6 posts. I'm not gonna lie, I care more about sherbet than politics  :P  B)

(That doesn't mean I don't pay attention to politics and have strong opinions as well)

Edited by Crypto

Actually, when JFK ran for President it was a big deal...'cause he was the first.  Reid may be a known LDS guy, but there is no doubt but that Romney raised curiosity in the minds of a lot of non-members.  So, I can see why many members would be excited about the spotlight factor.

Hey, I still remember when the AG (John Ashcroft) was AG... B) 

Well here is an interesting tidbit. Orrin Hatch was just recently made President pro tempore of the senate which means that he is 3rd in line for the presidency. Or in other words if  a lightning strike takes out both Obama and Biden at the same time, Orrin Hatch would take over as president till another election took place.

I am aware of this because he is in my daughter's ward and now comes to church with three federal agents. My husband and grandsons sat next to him- literally, 6 months ago and Senator Hatch was very nearly pelted with fruit snacks pitched by the 2 yr old. I wonder how the agents would react to that kind of assault?  :D

Well here is an interesting tidbit. Orrin Hatch was just recently made President pro tempore of the senate which means that he is 3rd in line for the presidency. Or in other words if  a lightning strike takes out both Obama and Biden at the same time, Orrin Hatch would take over as president till another election took place.

I am aware of this because he is in my daughter's ward and now comes to church with three federal agents. My husband and grandsons sat next to him- literally, 6 months ago and Senator Hatch was very nearly pelted with fruit snacks pitched by the 2 yr old. I wonder how the agents would react to that kind of assault?  :D

Now that's funny