Southampton University publishes finding to its near death experience study.

FunkyTown

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentre/news/2014/oct/14_181.shtml#.VLUZ7nsdnIU

Just putting this out there.

46% reported some form of NDE. 2% reported vivid experiences remembered in detail. One was able to verify events that occurred when there was no brain activity.

Specifically: Timed auditory events that occurred minutes after the heart stopped.

The brain ceases all activity about 30 seconds after the heart stops.The human body is a strange thing. It'll require more study, but if somebody was able to identify and describe an auditory event when no brain activity was possible, everything we know is thrown in to question. It will need to be replicated, but the study itself is amazing.

(For formatting. The formatting doesn't work for some reason on this unless I quote)

It's a good thing I believe in life after death and the continued consciousness of the spirit as a separate entity from the body.  Otherwise, I'd be really freaked out about the possibility of being embalmed and buried whilst conscious (if not exactly alive) right about now.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

It's a good thing I believe in life after death and the continued consciousness of the spirit as a separate entity from the body.  Otherwise, I'd be really freaked out about the possibility of being embalmed and buried whilst conscious (if not exactly alive) right about now.

People didn't talk about pain, though. There were quite a lot of people who talked about fear and the feeling of being persecuted.

Spirit prison is not a place I wanna go. I'll tell you that much.

What's interesting is that they now have (tentative, until the experiment is reproduced) proof that humanity can create memories AND observe the external world despite absolutely no activity in the brain. THey can prove this because of the man who was able to identify the control audible that took place several minutes after death. They were able to prove that he had consciousness 3 minutes after death at least.

HOW AMAZING IS THAT. I was so excited by the findings.

What's interesting is that they now have (tentative, until the experiment is reproduced) proof that humanity can create memories AND observe the external world despite absolutely no activity in the brain. THey can prove this because of the man who was able to identify the control audible that took place several minutes after death. They were able to prove that he had consciousness 3 minutes after death at least.

HOW AMAZING IS THAT. I was so excited by the findings.

I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate... only a very small minority (2%) of test subjects reported NDE or OBE-like experiences which gives even a very small percentage of test subjects that claimed auditory recall... to borrow a dialogue from The Imitation Game - that's not progress, that's the clock being right twice a day.

But really... what I wanted to say was... Flatliners.

I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate... only a very small minority (2%) of test subjects reported NDE or OBE-like experiences which gives even a very small percentage of test subjects that claimed auditory recall... to borrow a dialogue from The Imitation Game - that's not progress, that's the clock being right twice a day.

But really... what I wanted to say was... Flatliners.

I understand what you're saying, but...

If even one person can be verified to have created memories during the time period in which no brain activity was had, then it means that brain activity is not the be-all and end-all of human experience.

In this case, having only 2% of people reporting clear symptoms isn't the most exciting thing about it. It was the one person who was able to identify environmental items that only occurred when they had no lifesigns or brain activity.

Merely seeing things could have been a hallucination. Proven recall of events that should have been impossible is far more interesting and needs more investigation.

I understand what you're saying, but...

If even one person can be verified to have created memories during the time period in which no brain activity was had, then it means that brain activity is not the be-all and end-all of human experience.

In this case, having only 2% of people reporting clear symptoms isn't the most exciting thing about it. It was the one person who was able to identify environmental items that only occurred when they had no lifesigns or brain activity.

Merely seeing things could have been a hallucination. Proven recall of events that should have been impossible is far more interesting and needs more investigation.

Yes, of course.  But how is this different from the proof given by psychics to prove consciousness is still floating around interacting with people days if not years after death that science has been rejecting?

Edited by anatess

Yes, of course.  But how is this different from the proof given by psychics to prove consciousness is still floating around interacting with people days if not years after death that science has been rejecting?

This had a control in place, a methodology for disproving it and could not adequately be explained by cold reading.

This had a control in place, a methodology for disproving it and could not adequately be explained by cold reading.

Right, but they can provide controls on a study of psychic connections to the afterlife.  Maybe they have, I just haven't heard of such a study.

• 1 month later...

There is a blog on LDS.Net (http://lds.net/blog/faith/near-death-experiences-testify-of-afterlife/#.VOdViC6peSo) about NDE's.

I'm wondering if there are forum readers who have experienced an NDE?

I am much more interested in the 'experience' than clinical research, though it does have it's place and 'proof' would be important to some.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note - I believe in a spirit world where our spirits continue after we die.  I do not believe in the published near death experiences. I believe that if there is revelation from such an experience that it is personal and not to be published - especially published as divine doctrine unless it is taught by a authorized prophet and specifically sanctioned by those in authority.

Although I like the idea of NDEs and sometimes enjoy reading about them, and although I find myself hoping the various accounts are true, I tend to doubt them as a whole, as Traveler mentions. I don't believe we need divine revelation to establish the truths of things we experience, but I'm not ready to accept uncritically whatever Joe Blow has to say about what he experienced when he "died".

I think reports from people who experienced NDE are cool. I've read quite a few and find that they describe things we already believe in.. Of course it's not doctrine! I have found the scriptural account of Alma the Younger to describe in great detail the same things that modern NDE's say. Every time I read it I smile and think that is EXACTLY what happened to him. Read accounts from people who weren't to nice going through the experience.. Some of them describe it the same way as Alma!