Hello from a Catholic

CatholicLady

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a former Catholic, I must say that I don't find LDS to be similar to the faith I grew up in.

She might be referring to the hierarchical structure of the Church and of the concept we share of Petrine supremacy.

It is true that we see each of these somewhat differently, but they are similar.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Hi !

As a former Catholic, I must say that I don't find LDS to be similar to the faith I grew up in.

:-)

She might be referring to the heirarchical structure of the Church and of the concept we share of Petrine supremacy.

It is true that we see each of these somewhat differently, but they are similar.

Lehi

Actually it is a lot more than that.  I have written about pieces of LDS versus Catholic doctrine on here and where they are in tandem and where they diverge.  They're scattered all over the place.  I should have organized them or saved the links or something.

Basically - Catholic teaching diverges mainly due to the following missing revelations - How God is One, Premortal Existence, Eternal Families, Ordinances for the Dead, Priesthood Authority, Degrees of Glory.  As a Catholic, it wasn't that what I knew to be true became false... rather, what I knew to be true got clarified due to the missing teachings.  This includes the seemingly divergent teaching on Polygamy/Divorce (missing Eternal Marriage), Abortion/Artificial Birth Control/Original Sin (missing Pre-Mortal Existence), Infant Baptism (missing Ordinances for the Dead), etc.

Edited by anatess