What are your views on Catholics

CatholicLady

My parents were Catholic.  I can still remember my dad telling me about Catholic stuff.  My mom even got a masters degree from Loyola Marymount University.  She loved how it reminded her of her Catholic upbringing.  So I'm fond of the Catholic faith because of my Parents.  Besides, if I weren't LDS, I'd be Catholic.

I'd really like to get my hands on a Catholic bible, I've never read the apocrypha and I would like to.

Unfortunately I am not close enough friends with any devout Catholics to form a personal opinion.

I did attend a mass at the mission in Santa Barbara here in California. It was pretty cool.

A friend of mine was studying to be a Catholic priest and he told me about the Catholic Church in China, which I guess is formally known as the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association, or something along those lines.  Whatever it's called, it's fiercely independent even to the point of silliness.  They don't recognize the Pope and they name all their own bishops, thank you very much.  In the 1960s the Vatican gave permission for most masses worldwide to be performed in local languages, which would have been a big deal in China because almost no part of the Latin mass, even proper names, could be even remotely understood by Chinese-speaking persons.  The Chinese Catholic Church stomped its foot and said, "No, we do not recognize this act from Rome and we claim our own sovereignty in these matters," and kept celebrating the Tridentine Mass in Latin as proof of their autonomy.  I don't know what language they use now.

Hmm... never heard of this before. Interesting fact.

A friend of mine was studying to be a Catholic priest and he told me about the Catholic Church in China, which I guess is formally known as the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association, or something along those lines.  Whatever it's called, it's fiercely independent even to the point of silliness.  They don't recognize the Pope and they name all their own bishops, thank you very much.  In the 1960s the Vatican gave permission for most masses worldwide to be performed in local languages, which would have been a big deal in China because almost no part of the Latin mass, even proper names, could be even remotely understood by Chinese-speaking persons.  The Chinese Catholic Church stomped its foot and said, "No, we do not recognize this act from Rome and we claim our own sovereignty in these matters," and kept celebrating the Tridentine Mass in Latin as proof of their autonomy.  I don't know what language they use now.

Yea, the Vatican and China have had some issues. Basically what it boils down to is the Chinese government doesn't like foreign influence on their citizens, and Rome definitely has influence on Catholics. In a lot of ways, China has two churches: an underground Church loyal to Rome, and the "official" Church loyal to the state. That's not saying that the division is always cut and dry. I can't remember the diocese, but at some point in the last year the Chinese government and the Vatican agreed on a new bishop for the diocese. Then he immediately quite the state church and got put on house arrest. It's not a very good situation.

Near as I can tell, they use the ordinary form of the mass vice the Tridentine/extraordinary form now. It probably wasn't a fight worth having, particularly considering the obvious advantages of using the vernacular in China. Then again, in the Tridentine form large swaths of the mass are inaudible to the laity, so it becomes a bit less of a big deal.

Growing up, my experiences with Catholics varied.

When investigating the church as a 30-something adult, I was bewildered by those who claimed to be Catholic but did not believe Church's teachings on abortion-&(and as far as I understand it) on homosexuality, & other things. 

I am currently bewildered by the adulation for a current pope whose views are not really different from progressive or liberal Protestants around me.    

To sum up, call me bewildered(or crazy for that matter)-but definitely not impressed. (I am not LDS-take this with a grain of salt if you wish). 

Edited by lonetree

Guest LiterateParakeet

I don't know much about Catholics, but I have a great respect for Fr. Thomas Keating.  His teachings on Centering Prayer have been so meaningful to me.  A favorite quote from him is: "Repent means change the direction you are looking for happiness."

And who doesn't love Mother Theresa?  ;)   

Growing up, my experiences with Catholics varied.

When investigating the church as a 30-something adult, I was bewildered by those who claimed to be Catholic but did not believe Church's teachings on abortion-&(and as far as I understand it) on homosexuality, & other things. 

I am currently bewildered by the adulation for a current pope whose views are not really different from progressive or liberal Protestants around me.    

To sum up, call me bewildered(or crazy for that matter)-but definitely not impressed. (I am not LDS-take this with a grain of salt if you wish). 

Unfortunately, there are a lot of Catholics who don't adhere to Church teaching. As for Pope Francis, please don't let the liberal media fool you. They like to distort things and take things out of context that the pope has said. He is absolutely not in line with what liberals/progressives believe at all. He is Catholic and adheres to all the Catholic teachings regarding abortion, sex, homosexuality, and all the other hot topic moral issues.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of Catholics who don't adhere to Church teaching. As for Pope Francis, please don't let the liberal media fool you. They like to distort things and take things out of context that the pope has said. He is absolutely not in line with what liberals/progressives believe at all. He is Catholic and adheres to all the Catholic teachings regarding abortion, sex, homosexuality, and all the other hot topic moral issues.

Yes!  Including his statements on Charlie Hebdo.  The press loves to make everything the Pope says as a political statement.  Gone are the days of responsible journalism.

If he is as traditional as you say, I guess time will tell.

I agree with you about the media. Does it bother you though that he -Is- so popular with them (the liberal media)?

In afterthought, I thought my original post was a bit testy; so thank you for your gracious reply. 

Yes!  Including his statements on Charlie Hebdo.  The press loves to make everything the Pope says as a political statement.  Gone are the days of responsible journalism.

So his statement on the Charlie Hebdo is basically, "we cannot kill in the name of religion; and we should also not ridicule another's religion?"

So his statement on the Charlie Hebdo is basically, "we cannot kill in the name of religion; and we should also not ridicule another's religion?"

The Pope's message always centers on Love when it pertains to people's actions.  We cannot kill and we cannot ridicule.*  Not just in the name of religion but everywhere else.

*Exceptions are of course present but should still align with Love.

It's funny about Catholics and Mormons. We homeschool, and my family members have found themselves inexorably drawn toward a couple of large Catholic families who homeschool. Despite obvious doctrinal differences, there seems to be a common "feel" in some ways that Mormon and Catholic families both seem to exude.

I couldn't agree more!  Our family fits right in with all the LDS families in our neighborhood (about 90% LDS in my area).  I trust them with my kids, and I know they trust me with theirs, I love how easy the kids can go from house to house and play with no worry :)

And I want to add, that through open and honest discussions with really close LDS friends, my family and I have managed to become stronger in our faith, while they have become stronger in theirs, regardless of the doctrinal differences.  There is such a wonderful, positive energy that comes with meeting others who have a strongly lived faith.  You can't help but lift each other spiritually, it's quite beautiful.  

Edited by faith4

The Pope's message always centers on Love when it pertains to people's actions.  We cannot kill and we cannot ridicule.*  Not just in the name of religion but everywhere else.

*Exceptions are of course present but should still align with Love.

Not sure where that leaves freedom of expression or if you don't believe that that particular world 'religion' is anything but the outgrowth of someone's overheated imagination. But you did answer my question...Thank you. :)

Edited by lonetree

Not sure where that leaves freedom of expression or if you don't believe that that particular world 'religion' is anything but the outgrowth of someone's overheated imagination. But you did answer my question...Thank you. :)

Freedom of Expression doesn't mean Freedom from Consequence.  If you walk into a bar naked, it won't be beyond the scope of possibility that people are going to try to grab you.  Is grabbing you bad?  Of course it is.  And those grabbing should be more righteous than that... But hey... if you don't walk into a bar naked, you probably won't be grabbed.

Do you see what the Pope is trying to say?

Edited by anatess

I agree with you about the media. Does it bother you though that he -Is- so popular with them (the liberal media)?

In afterthought, I thought my original post was a bit testy; so thank you for your gracious reply. 

Yes, time will tell.

As far as the media goes, it does bother me a tiny bit that they keep making him out to be a hero to the liberal cause, but at the same time I wonder if this is what is what like when Paul VI was Pope and the world was waiting for him to change the Church's stance on contraception...and when he didn't, it caused many Catholics to leave the Church.  I figure something like that might be right around the corner when the Pope doesn't say what the media expects him to say.  

There is a push to offer Latin.  I know my father's congregation has Latin masses.

I like going to mass still.  I attend when visiting family.  I like to go at Christmas, when LDS don't have a special service unless it happens on Sunday.

I've been to one Latin Mass, and it was quite beautiful.  Pkstpaul, have you been to a Christmas midnight Mass?  

I've been to one Latin Mass, and it was quite beautiful.  Pkstpaul, have you been to a Christmas midnight Mass?  

Oooohhh... you gotta go to a Simbang Gabi!  It's the Midnight Mass that is attended by the Filipinos of the parish/diocese.  They usually put the announcement of which midnight mass in the diocese is the Simbang Gabi if you have enough Filipino presence in the community.  The Filipinos attend this mass in traditional Filipino attire and they usually have Filipino hymns.  It's really awesome to experience!

Hmm, I don't know what you mean by "traditional." Being traditional or not doesn't really matter, what matters is that he adheres to Catholic teachings, and of course, he does. :)

No need for "time to tell".... He wouldn't be the pope of the Catholic Church if he didn't agree with Catholic teaching. Just so I can know where you are coming from, what specific issue did you get the impression he was being "uncatholic" about?

No problem at all! I didn't think your post was testy. I'm glad you brought this up! As for why he is so popular with the liberal media? I think they are drawn to his humility and people skills. He does a lot to help the poor, is very peaceful and compassionate, and always stresses that we shouldn't judge people or look down on people. Of course, none of this means his views on moral theology are different at all from that of the Catholic Church, but since liberals like him, and since they don't like Catholicism, they always paint a picture of him being as least Catholic as possible. 

Freedom of Expression doesn't mean Freedom from Consequence.  If you walk into a bar naked, it won't be beyond the scope of possibility that people are going to try to grab you.  Is grabbing you bad?  Of course it is.  And those grabbing should be more righteous than that... But hey... if you don't walk into a bar naked, you probably won't be grabbed.

Do you see what the Pope is trying to say?

I see, but am unconvinced. Despite your "Nice night for a walk-laundry day tomorrow-nothing clean..." illustration. :)

Edited by lonetree

Hmm, I don't know what you mean by "traditional." Being traditional or not doesn't really matter, what matters is that he adheres to Catholic teachings, and of course, he does. :)

No need for "time to tell".... He wouldn't be the pope of the Catholic Church if he didn't agree with Catholic teaching. Just so I can know where you are coming from, what specific issue did you get the impression he was being "uncatholic" about?

No problem at all! I didn't think your post was testy. I'm glad you brought this up! As for why he is so popular with the liberal media? I think they are drawn to his humility and people skills. He does a lot to help the poor, is very peaceful and compassionate, and always stresses that we shouldn't judge people or look down on people. Of course, none of this means his views on moral theology are different at all from that of the Catholic Church, but since liberals like him, and since they don't like Catholicism, they always paint a picture of him being as least Catholic as possible. 

Thank you for your reply.

By 'traditional' I meant traditional Catholic teaching, as I (as a non Catholic) am able to understand it. 

I guess his news making statement "who am I to judge" is the one I would focus on.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-23489702

Isn't he supposed to be the supreme pastor of the church?  In today's permissive society, is this the best he could come up with?

I see, but am unconvinced. Despite your "Nice night for a walk-laundry day tomorrow-nothing clean..." illustration. :)

What did you think he was trying to say?  That there is no such thing as Freedom of Expression?