temple garments?

CatholicLady

Are temple garments supposed to be worn by all practicing Mormons, or is it something optional that usually only the more conservative members wear?

What are the rules involved? For example, if it's a really hot day and you're going to be outside, is it ok to not wear it? What about for when women wear formal dresses?

Thanks!

It's part of our temple covenant, so only those members who have covenanted in the temple to do so wear the garment. As with all covenants, there is some sacrifice required, like the type of clothing we choose to wear. Formal dresses can be tricky, but it's not impossible to find or alter them.

For the most part, they are only removed to shower, exercise, and privately with spouses. 

So is it an actual SIN if you choose not to wear it one day... perhaps because it's hot or uncomfortable?

It's kind of a grey area, but I say that if you're looking for a reason to take them off, you're sinning.

Generally speaking, people find garments that best suit their comfort. I think the number of people who truly can't tolerate garments is tiny.

I've never thought of not  wearing the garment as a sin necessarily. Not something to be "confessed" but a practice that shows that a person isn't entirely serious about living up to covenants (promises) made in the temple. Something that needs to be corrected. Maybe a minor sin.  

There are days when I have gone exercising such as swimming  and then jumped right into gardening or delayed getting showered and dressed again for some reason and have forgotten to change back into my garments for a couple hours or so. I think that's different than intentionally taking them off on a hot day so one could wear a tank top or short shorts to go shopping.  

I went on a mission to Argentina where the temp and humidity both got extremely high at times. No air conditioning to speak of. I wore my garments every day. Same when I lived in MInnesota, but at least we had central air conditioning there.

...Not something to be "confessed"...

To be fair, all sins need to be confessed, but most do not need to be confessed to anyone but God.  Not wearing ones garments when one should be does, indeed, need to be confessed to God. But only serious sins need to be confessed to the bishop.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

So is it an actual SIN if you choose not to wear it one day... perhaps because it's hot or uncomfortable?

We covenant to wear the garment night and day. Obviously, there are situations where you don't -- kind of hard to take a bath or shower in your underwear, for example, or go swimming, or engage in certain other activities -- but in general, it's expected that we wear them always. "Hot days" are not on the Approved List of Reasons Not to Wear the Garment.

(I'm only kidding about the Approved List, by the way.)

In the end, people do what they want and receive what they prepare themselves to receive. The holy garment is a great and sacred blessing for us. Those who choose not to avail themselves of this blessing harm themselves more than anyone else. As I said before, it's not nearly as big of a deal as some make it out to be. The garment is lightweight underwear, not onerous to wear. It covers torso to knees, so it's not as if your daily wear is greatly hindered, unless you're in the habit of wearing strapless gowns and Daisy Dukes.

Edited by Vort

It is generally expected that you'll eventually do it.  Who doesn't want to be closer to God?

However, if you don't do it (for whatever reason), people in your local area won't know.  Part of the symbolism of garments is that they are worn where no one else can see them, because it is a covenant just between you and God.  

There's no social stigma attached to not being endowed yet (like I said, I'm not).  It does disqualify you from certain positions though (like full-time missionary).

There's no social stigma attached to not being endowed yet (like I said, I'm not).  It does disqualify you from certain positions though (like full-time missionary).

There are some callings at church where temple worthiness is expected, but not required. The bishop, or stake president, can ask if you are "temple worthy" and give you the calling based on your answer.

Please, don't someone correct me by saying "do you wear the garments?" is one of the recommend questions. I've been in the position where the calling is extended based on worthiness and not if they have been to the temple. They generally know before they ask (i.e. you are active at church).

So is it perfectly acceptable for a practicing Mormon to choose not to take the covenant to wear the temple garments? Or is it something all practicing Mormons "ought" to do? Is it looked down upon in any way if a church going, practicing Mormon opts out of making that covenant?

I think social stigma is more a by-product of the weaknesses of society rather than the weakness of the one getting stigmatized.  Do they get stigmatized?  (The only way to know is if you're in a leadership position that has visibility to temple records, or if someone does some detective work).  In some areas, they could be... but that all depends on the culture in that area rather than the teaching of the church.  Make sense?

But basically, opting out of Temple Covenants in a way is like a Catholic getting baptized, going through the Sacrament of Repentance, then opting out of the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist... 

Posted · Hidden by Just_A_Guy, January 15, 2015 - Duplicate
Hidden by Just_A_Guy, January 15, 2015 - Duplicate

So is it perfectly acceptable for a practicing Mormon to choose not to take the covenant to wear the temple garments? Or is it something all practicing Mormons "ought" to do? Is it looked down upon in any way if a church going, practicing Mormon opts out of making that covenant?

I think social stigma is more a by-product of the weaknesses of society rather than the weakness of the one getting stigmatized.  Do they get stigmatized?  (The only way to know is if you're in a leadership position that has visibility to temple records, or if someone does some detective work).  In some areas, they could be... but that all depends on the culture in that area rather than the teaching of the church.  Make sense?

But basically, opting out of Temple Covenants in a way is like a Catholic getting baptized, going through the Sacrament of Repentance, then opting out of the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist... 

I wore garments (the old one-piece style) in Air Force basic training.  Of course, there is zero privacy in that environment and it elicited a lot of questions. I used to respond with an answer I learned from Elder H. Theodore Tuttle of the Seventy.

I'd ask the person posing the question he had a pastor or a minister in his family church. The answer was usually affirmative.  I'd ask him if the minister wore a particular kind of clothing that identified his position, like a collar, vestment, or robe.  In most cases, this was so.  Catholic and Protestant ministers usually have some kind of distinctive apparel.  Orthodox rabbis, Muslilm clerics, Buddhist monks, and others also have clothing that is distinctive.

I'd explain that, because almost all men in our denomination are ordained ministers, and because I had served as a missionary, I could serve anytime as a gospel preacher.  Because Mormon priests and elders are not professional clergymen, we have to work in the secular professions and trades.  Thus, we wear our ministerial apparel under the clothing instead of on top.  It served the same purpose: to remind us that we held authority and that we had special obligations to God.

This answer was always accepted as a very reasonable one.  One day, a guy from the other dorm was in our room when we were changing uniforms and he got a look at my garments and he made a crack about them.  The guy whose bunk was next to mine stepped in to display his newfound knowledge.  He asked the guy, "Hey, does your minister or priest wear a robe or a collar?" and he repeated my explanation almost verbatim.  I found that pretty amusing.

In answer to when we don't wear them, I would also include participation in sports.  Obviously you wouldn't wear them playing soccer, tennis, or swimming.  I'm a martial arts instructor and I don't wear them when I'm leading class or training.  That would be awkward.  Our religion is not about our underwear.  It's about keeping the covenants we made to love God and serve him.  Catholics have rosaries to help them remember sacred prayers.   Orthodox Jews have phylacteries and yarmulkes.  We have the garment to help us remember our obligations.

Edited by spamlds