Non-LDS: Why do you pray?

Jane_Doe

On 1/17/2015 at 9:30 PM, Jane_Doe said:

We have a lot of non-LDS on the board lately and have had some really good discussions, so I thought I'd take advantage to ask a question thats been on my mind for a while.

We LDS folk are really into praying to God for answers to questions.  I ask God about faith, work, family etc.  However, when I talk to a non-LDS person, praying to God for answers seems like a foreign idea.  That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, which probably means I'm misunderstanding something somewhere.

So, non-LDS folks: why do you pray?

I pray to be consoled about being alive, and hoping to go home soon.  I pray to Him and His (feminine) Spirit . Mostly I just to talk to them and not really anything formal. Just about anything and everything.  Mostly what I love is He gives me dreams and shows me things which are going on and helps me understand.

• 11 months later...
On 1/17/2015 at 9:30 PM, Jane_Doe said:

We have a lot of non-LDS on the board lately and have had some really good discussions, so I thought I'd take advantage to ask a question thats been on my mind for a while.

We LDS folk are really into praying to God for answers to questions.  I ask God about faith, work, family etc.  However, when I talk to a non-LDS person, praying to God for answers seems like a foreign idea.  That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, which probably means I'm misunderstanding something somewhere.

So, non-LDS folks: why do you pray?

Im probably outlier, as you know. I pray for Him to return and for Him to bring us Home and restore us to the other world.

I never pray for things here, that I need. I've trials.. .yes but I never pray to make this life easier... If I meet someone sweet and loving who wants Him, of course I ask Him to care for them... and I do ask Him to protect me and care for me... but never from the point of view of material things.

I find many evangelicals pray for jobs, wealth, success, relationships...but I see that as material stuff... to assuage the needs and wants of the Self...

It is understandable that one is alone...and lonely, wants things...I only understand to fill that void with Him...and listening to Him and asking Him to help me understand what He is doing, not what I may need and want.

I pray for others, to meet Him... because regardless of their situations, being with God is the only thing that can really help.

Praying...what is it? Praying is Listening to Him and talking to Him and Loving Him.

It is turning to Him.

His prophets are prophets because they can HEAR Him and they listen. His apostles are apostles because they HEAR Him and listen.

Today modern christianity has dumped the idea of apostles and prophets...not understanding WHY the vision was SEALED..because they DID NOT listen (the OT fathers).

He chooses simple souls who LISTEN and not theologians, ventriloquists, pharisees.

He speaks to His souls. The modern view that HE ceased to speak is a horrible satanic view. And utterly messed up.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:10 AM, e v e said:

Praying...what is it? Praying is Listening to Him and talking to Him and Loving Him.

It is turning to Him.

His prophets are prophets because they can HEAR Him and they listen. His apostles are apostles because they HEAR Him and listen.

Today modern christianity has dumped the idea of apostles and prophets...not understanding WHY the vision was SEALED..because they DID NOT listen (the OT fathers).

He chooses simple souls who LISTEN and not theologians, ventriloquists, pharisees.

He speaks to His souls. The modern view that HE ceased to speak is a horrible satanic view. And utterly messed up.

I think so too.....   a near death experiencer was shown that God is restoring the type of communication that Adam and Eve had with God in the Garden before they fell.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 6:34 PM, DennisTate said:

I think so too.....   a near death experiencer was shown that God is restoring the type of communication that Adam and Eve had with God in the Garden before they fell.  

i dont know who you mean, so thats just vague to me...

what is not vague is that He says so and He showed me what I wrote.

3 hours ago, e v e said:

i dont know who you mean, so thats just vague to me...

what is not vague is that He says so and He showed me what I wrote.

Near death experiencer Dr. Kevin Zadai was shown that the type of communication that Adam and Eve had before The Fall is being restored. 

Also a gifted writer named Rick Joyner was shown a lot of specifics on this restoration.  Rick Joyner's book "The Torch and the Sword" fits perfectly with chapter forty one of Gospel Principles..... the idea of the dead being able to be called to higher and higher levels of repentance even in Hades.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-41-the-postmortal-spirit-world?lang=eng

Chapter 41

The Postmortal Spirit World

and... 

https://vimeopro.com/vfndc/final-quest-the-call-the-harvest/video/414468745

★★★ THE TORCH AND THE SWORD ★★★ —BY RICK JOYNER & MORNINGSTAR PUBLICATIONS— {NARRATED}

On 1/26/2021 at 9:10 PM, e v e said:

It is turning to Him.

I believe that Paul was a theologian and Pharisee.  I am also of the mind that without Pharisees - you would not have the Bible or access to Biblical most Biblical scripture.

As a side note - it is my personal belief that we ought to be willing to pray for anything that we would do or be involved in doing - for both concerning this life and the life to come.  However, I also believe we must understand that in the end all things concerning this life or the life to come to which we can choose - is our choice to make.  That we are free - that G-d will not make any choice for us that we can make for ourselves.  I find it most helpful for my self that as I arise in the morning I present in prayer to my Father in Heaven what my plan is for the day.  Then at the end of the day I present (report) to my Father in Heaven how things turned our and what I learned and for what I was thankful - and in addition things that were not completed, have need of assistance or what I did not understand.  Sometimes, when faced with a particular challenge - I will present my plan for facing the challenge - and report later how things turned out.  (it is not always a daily thing - sometimes my prayers are defined by surprises. 

The Traveler

On 2/23/2021 at 11:55 AM, Traveler said:

I believe that Paul was a theologian and Pharisee.  I am also of the mind that without Pharisees - you would not have the Bible or access to Biblical most Biblical scripture.

As a side note - it is my personal belief that we ought to be willing to pray for anything that we would do or be involved in doing - for both concerning this life and the life to come.  However, I also believe we must understand that in the end all things concerning this life or the life to come to which we can choose - is our choice to make.  That we are free - that G-d will not make any choice for us that we can make for ourselves.  I find it most helpful for my self that as I arise in the morning I present in prayer to my Father in Heaven what my plan is for the day.  Then at the end of the day I present (report) to my Father in Heaven how things turned our and what I learned and for what I was thankful - and in addition things that were not completed, have need of assistance or what I did not understand.  Sometimes, when faced with a particular challenge - I will present my plan for facing the challenge - and report later how things turned out.  (it is not always a daily thing - sometimes my prayers are defined by surprises. 

The Traveler

are you lds traveler? I saw you wrote G-d with a dash. 

that’s so interesting what you said about pharisees and having written down scripture. 

1 hour ago, e v e said:

are you lds traveler? I saw you wrote G-d with a dash. 

that’s so interesting what you said about pharisees and having written down scripture. 

I am LDS.  The internet is very broad and reaches many cultures.  I am careful with sacred things - both concerning myself as well as other cultures.

There are two terms that Jesus referenced in scripture: Scripbes and Pharisees.  Often Jesus used these termstogether because of their very close relationship in Jewish society at the time.  The Pharisees were very careful to preserve scriptures - It was the function of the Scribes to copy and write down scriptures.  The Pharisees started their effort to preserve sacred scripture during the Maccabee rebellion which was specific to preserving the tradition of the Jews.

The Traveler